User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I know I come across very differently via text than I do in person. Simply because I am more comfortable typing. In person I'm rather silent most of the time. So naturally, those who speak to me online see a very different side of me.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Good question, I sure think that the social ettiquette is different, perhaps only emerging, and its no way agreed upon either. So you have some sort of storming, norming and forming taking place in so far as the discourse identifies certain sorts of behaviour as troll behaviour, which is variously unwelcome, prohibited, prejorative and also, conversely, considered fun or entertaining by, what I would suggest, is a more anti-social personality.

However there is ample opportunity within the medium for disagreement as to who is exhibiting troll behaviour or what it is, most recently I thought about this when moderators mentioned how well known someone was or how much time someone had spent on this forum in relation to identifying behaviour as trollish.

It can accentuate personality clashes or differences but at the same time I'm wary of just what could be going on, I've encountered frankly bizarre reactions from people on different forums which I could only account for by considering that they where reacting to something greater than the immediate discussion or myself, sometimes there's words which are sure to trigger certain responses. I find it interesting because on one forum someone could be condemning me as a right wing fascist hate monger for failing to affirm their values while simultaneously on another forum there will be someone else condemning me as a commies permissive liberal, now it clearly cant be each and I'm not playing devils advocate or engaging in some sort of shocking cognitive dissonance so its got to be about the individuals participating in those forums and who or what they imagine they are dealing with.

I think you are seeing a couple of factors-

1. Loss of nonverbal communication-I always find it off that I get along very well with INFJs but online I frequently offend them. I say the same things but without the nonverbal aspect-the way the text comes across is much more suceptible to reading in of the incorrect tone.

2. Forgiveness of the "feeling" functions- In real life feelers tend to be very forgiving of others feelers oddly. I shared an office with an ISFJ. We encountered Fe-Fi diffs, although we didnt understand them-but we could see through the conflict to the caring underneath-thus there was a built in forgiveness factor. It might be annoying, but that's just how the other person shows they care...Also I suspect the F functions are actually meant for much more complex analysis of the people than the T functions-so by using an F function to analyze another in person, a much more complete picture can be gained of what they REALLY meant

3. Projection of our internal states onto others-when we dont understand the actions of others in real life, we assume they are motivated as we are. Again I suspect this allows to never really appreciate how very differently we function underneath our external facade of friendliness.

I also wonder if there isnt an additional apsect having to do with how we "think" in text form. It is funny as on another thread a couple of INTPs commented that people think they are nice online, but are assholes in real life. ENFPs I suspect may be the opposite-we tend to be seen as nice in real life but in text form can seem very abrupt.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I also agree with something MacGuffin said once, that N shows up more clearly in writing sometimes than in person.
    Pfft. I doubt it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's because you aren't N.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My personal theory is that Introverted functions tend to show up more in writing, while Extraverted functions tend to show up more in person.

All of the functions can of course appear, but I believe that being online accentuates the Introverted functions, while interacting in person accentuates the Extraverted functions.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

How pitifully stupid. As thought there's some sort of secret N language that only Ns can use or recognize. Get over yourself.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    TITS
    Enneagram
    7w8

You've made my top ten dumbest comments list.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    My personal theory is that Introverted functions tend to show up more in writing, while Extraverted functions tend to show up more in person.

All of the functions can of course appear, but I believe that being online accentuates the Introverted functions, while interacting in person accentuates the Extraverted functions.
    I could buy that. I think there's a simultaneous thing happening of some people becoming more transparent on line, while others become less. Interesting. I don't think I've really reached any absolute conclusions. The beginning of the thread was just some musing out loud. Keep talking, folks...

Epiphany

I think it really depends on the individual. My thoughts are the same regardless, but I am much less willing to share them offline. For one, I am introverted and more reflective than engaging. I don't assume that people want to hear my thoughts so I usually keep them to myself. A forum is a little different. The topics that are discussed here are less likely to come up in casual conversation to the depth that they do online. A lot of times, words are overlooked by expressions and other external factors that don't come into play via text. When I'm in a social setting, my mind takes in a lot of information that may not be pertinent to the conversation and I am apt to lose focus if it doesn't interest me. Some people hide behind personas. My username would imply that I do, but I chose that more in regards to my life offline because of the difficulties I've faced having a personality that conflicts with cultural ideals. I've shared some personal details in this forum that I haven't with friends in my daily life. Perhaps, it is because there's safety in anonymity, although I find that I still trust some people too easily.