• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who feels chills while listening to music? People “open to experience”

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At around 02:12 the guitarist, Laura, who the song is about, stops playing and bursts out in tears on stage, crowd goes mad, standing ovations, etc...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biOOy5Zeda0&feature=related"]Lluis LLach - Laura[/YOUTUBE]

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some people were asking me about aspects of the Big 5, and I can't really answer to that much, but I remember that Marm posted a link to a long Big 5 type of assessment here if you want to try it out for yourself.

Nicodemus

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLoceLFrKaM"]The Voice[/YOUTUBE]

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I do, and I can recall from a fairly young age (when I was playing in elementary school band) figuring that this probably happened to me more than the average person (I was a rather sensitive kid.)

Sunny Ghost

man... i've seen more grown men cry during a national anthem on the fourth of july than any other time i can recall.

also, my grandfather's funeral... the trumpets. i think i held myself together all the way up until that point. my hair was standing and a few tears slipped past me.

Beorn

Permabanned
This was the last song that gave me chills.

[YOUTUBE="ev67C7Gts6Y"]Peter Gabriel- My Body is a Cage[/YOUTUBE]

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think I get chills, but I do get certain "tones" I suppose. If that is what it is about...then I get them quite a bit.

Then again, I think I have gotten it a couple times, but chills... aren't something that easy to come by. While someone may get creeped out by a song, I find it different.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I sometimes feel chills when listening to music :) It depends on the music... some songs give me very often a chill, often at the same moment, but of course not all. I need to feel a certain atmosphere in the music... I rate music often on that atmosphere. It is difficult to describe in words.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
felt chills 7 times when listening to this song moment ago. almost got about 7, like i felt them coming, but they didnt come anyways

Snow Turtle

Hmm. Music can sometime induce a spikey feeling on my back. I'm not sure whether that's the same chills that people here are discussing though.

One thing I've noticed is though. I'm more often likely to get these experiences when I'm wearing headphones with the music rather loud. Does volume affect the chills for you guys?

Sunny Ghost

Hmm. Music can sometime induce a spikey feeling on my back. I'm not sure whether that's the same chills that people here are discussing though.

One thing I've noticed is though. I'm more often likely to get these experiences when I'm wearing headphones with the music rather loud. Does volume affect the chills for you guys?
i think level of attention does. with headphones, your attention is right there.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I most definitely do. I could list of a good chunk of songs that have inspired said reaction at one point or another, but I'll refrain. I'm more affected by Indie music than anything else. It grabs hold of something in me that nothing else ever gets near, but one can sound crazy when they talk about 'vibing off the music, maaan' :tongue:.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Found another article related to experiencing chills while listening to music:

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-music-dopamine-20110109,0,5591381.story

I think I've said this! It's like taking a hit! :biggrin:

Not that I know about the latter personally...I've read about the anticipatory reaction that many drug addicts have when they are in drug-seeking mode. The excitement of 'chasing a rock', getting it, finding a place to smoke it...

...music seems to be a much better choice.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I cry more about beauty or some sort of powerful expression in the arts than I do when I'm actually sad. :D
Same for me, but generally just for music. Visual arts can be moving, but not the same way or to the same extent. I wonder if it has anything to do with learning style - auditory vs. visual or kinesthetic. I usually have to be devoting my complete attention to a piece for real chills, but sometimes something can take me off guard when I'm just listening with half an ear, or hearing it in passing. There are some pieces I prefer to listen to alone.

The piece linked below has followed me around a bit. It was playing on my car radio when I crossed into the state I moved into several years ago, and felt almost like a personal welcome.

indy

MBTI Type
ENTP
I almost always get chills when I hear singing in public or any public music. I think this might go back to the attention thing if you go to a concert or musical or whatever that is the only thing you are paying attention to. Also sometimes I get a feeling like my skin is tightening all over but that is usually when I hear something I don't like. Also extreme pitches are more likely to cause chills.