• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who feels chills while listening to music? People “open to experience”

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely experience chills while listening to music. Sometimes I experience even more than chills, where I feel like the sky is opening up, or a very intense emotional connection with the music. It's like the song colors my world, the sounds become a part of the scenery around me, or I can go on various emotional adventures with the music. And according to the Big 5 personality test, I score highest in "openness to experience."

I think this song is the most shiver inducing one for me:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCVIn-WXMUU"]:headphne:[/YOUTUBE]

I love the intensity of the second half of the piece. I can also feel shivers from less intense pieces as well.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
[YOUTUBE="S6yuR8efotI"]Cello Suite No. 1 prelude[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="ipzR9bhei_o"]Toccata and fugue in D minor[/YOUTUBE]

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^You stole that from my profile anyway.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceIpM_bLSTA"]Firebird Suite- Berceuse and Finale[/YOUTUBE]

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I remember reading something about how music can evoke certain emotions because apparently different tones and notes mimic different emotions in some sympathetic way. Like, for example, you can imagine a sad song and there is a quality sometimes of sad music in that it can sound like a wail or a cry, etc. So, it could even be Nickleback (ugh) if it hit the right sequence of tones and sounds to tap into that layer of our minds.
This totally makes sense to me because I have come to this conclusion on an instinctive basis.

I have noticed how certain chord progressions feel like they are directly hitting an emotional nerve causing a reflex like reaction or as if the music and emotion play in the same frequency. For me, classical music feels like it accesses very strong, primitive, deep set emotions, whereas (certain) contemporary music seems to tap into specific, delicate and more complex feelings. Both can be utterly spine chilling for me.

I get chills, and worse, tears. The tears are really embarassing. I get tears from beautiful art, too (but I don't recall chills from art, come to think of it).
I know, me too.

I cry more about beauty or some sort of powerful expression in the arts than I do when I'm actually sad. :D

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get chills, and worse, tears. The tears are really embarassing.

Same here.

Watching the trailer from Patriot brought me to tears. What an idiot.

This said something about openness:

big5.jpg

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I always thought my reaction to music was strange. The music doesn't matter, either. No particular genre will trigger it. Just certain songs. It gives me a feeling of being alive. I really don't know how to describe it without sounding nutty.

:yes::yes:

Sunny Ghost

I dedicate this post to our dear Redbone. :)

This is from a blog.

Who feels chills while listening to music? People “open to experience”
by Clive Thompson
December 11, 2010
collision detection

Excerpt:
Do you ever experience chills while listening to music? Recently, scientists have gotten interested in this question, and they’ve found some fascinating stuff. While most people experience chills some of the time, a small minority experience them very frequently — and about 10% say they never feel chills.

What accounts for the difference? Is it based in the type of music you listen to — like punk or country or hip-hop? Or the type of person you are? Or maybe some complex combination of the two — i.e. maybe the type of people who listen to, say, mainstream pop are also the type of people most likely to feel chills in the presence of art they heavily dig?

To try and figure it out, Emily C. Nusbaum (a scientific name that totally freaked me out because it’s almost precisely that of my wife) and Paul J. Silvia decided to survey 196 students at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. They asked them how often they felt chills while listening to music; then they profiled their personalities using the “big five” scale (i.e. how they scored on measures of neuroticism, extraversion, openness to experience, agreeableness, and conscientiousness). And finally they asked the students to describe how much they liked or hated various types of music based on the way music is categorized in the STOMP scale — which, for example, slots classic and folk music as “Reflective and Complex”, and rock and metal as “Intense and Rebellious”. (I kind of cracked up reading those STOMP categories. I mean, sure, yeah, technically Rachmaninoff is classical music — but it’s easily more “Intense and Rebellious” than, god save us, Nickelback. Meanwhile, Pachabel’s Canon, having become the go-to processional music for about seven trillion weddings, has been taxidermically drained of any serious reflective value. Anyway …)

The point is, once they crunched their data, no music genre trumped. There is no particular type of music you can listen to that will reliably impart chills. The truly big predictor? Your personality. Specifically, how open you are to experience — because this affects how frequently and deeply you engage with music. People who are more open to experience are also likely to interact with music in specifically intense ways:
In particular, rating music as more important, listening to music for more hours per day, and playing an instrument significantly predicted aesthetic chills.
< Read the full post >
Interesting thread! I'd say I often seek out music or movies that would give me chills or in general stimulate an emotional response.

I would expect more sensitive types to experience this more readily.
Perhaps more readily. But not necessarily are the only ones. However, I often equated enneagram type 4's to seek out more intense music.

I remember reading something about how music can evoke certain emotions because apparently different tones and notes mimic different emotions in some sympathetic way. Like, for example, you can imagine a sad song and there is a quality sometimes of sad music in that it can sound like a wail or a cry, etc. So, it could even be Nickleback (ugh) if it hit the right sequence of tones and sounds to tap into that layer of our minds.
agreed!

I get chills from time to time. Certain voices, certain music, can carry me off and away.
No particular genre will trigger it. Just certain songs. It gives me a feeling of being alive. I really don't know how to describe it without sounding nutty.
I'd say it's unpredictable. It could vary depending upon your own mood... something may just strike you... a voice, a lyric, a music note... I'd also have to say your full attention has to be on the music... being actively engaged. Headphones or a good set of speakers are a must!

a couple of chill inspiring songs ;) :

Last edited:

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Generally I don't have much of a visceral response to music. There are some types of music that give me sort of a "swept away / flying" mindset, like fast-paced rock or a particularly resonant and loud classical piece, but not "chills". Well, except for that darned Olympic theme during the opening ceremonies, when the athletes start coming into the stadium *shame*. That gets me every time.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I listen to many multiple hours of music a day, as well as play a few instruments, and I definitely do get major chills.
Music affects me emotionally far more strongly than any other artistic medium.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not one of those people who gets chills all the time when I listen to music. But I do have them, sometimes. And I'm the same as Metaphor, in that...

I get the chills when someone nails the piece or song.

^ And I'll bet that's Te/Fi :D

Last edited:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A bunch of posts have been moved to Off Topic Posts in the graveyard.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
It is rare for me. But any chills are usually when I hear something fresh and original that I happen to like very much.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get chills frequently from music. I'm also a high scorer on openness to experience. Very interesting article.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This one has accompanied me for years (especially roughly 07:00-08:30)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wivo94ylmhE"]Keith Jarret - The Köln Concert[/YOUTUBE]

And this one also has a major impact, probably linked to some very distant childhood memories
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtLuyWuPDs&feature=related"]Smetana - Ma Vlast[/YOUTUBE]

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The historical context definitely adds to it, but I always found this moving.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfiarpOjI2s&feature=related"]Ay, Carmela[/YOUTUBE]

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I should add, though; I'm not really so sure that I'm any more "open to experience" than average... Maybe even less than average.