User Tag List

12 Last

violaine

Default The Shadow/The Switch

What are your thoughts on switching into shadow mode, i.e. behaviors and attitudes ordinarily associated with an opposite type? Has such a switch happened to you? Were there any particular circumstances that led up to it? Did you experience it as a positive or negative thing? Did you switch back?

Lots of questions!

I'm INFJ but as I get older, I find myself increasingly moving away from the way I've always been. That is, I've tended to be super conscientious about everything and I find that I've moved into a more free kind of existence. It may be due to leaving the extremely conservative religion I was raised in. (Though I was always myself in that context and felt different from most everyone else in the religion. I didn't find the rules hard to live by in the day to day though, in hindsight, it required a great deal of discipline on my part.)

Perhaps this is just part of the balancing that I've read happens naturally as people get older but I feel so far from myself of just a few years ago. I'm starting to wonder where I will end up. I've always been very curious and always wanted an interesting life, full of adventure and exploration (even if just on a cerebral plane). My concern for others has often stopped me from really doing what I want to do, lest they be hurt or disappointed. I still care very much about the people I'm close to and not hurting others in general... I think that's the only thing that stops me from being extremely impulsive.

^Sound familiar to anyone?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I am the opposite. I was a crazy, impulsive trainwreck when I was younger and had all sorts of naive, preposterous beliefs and become more conscientious as I grow older. I used to be so nice to the most undeserving people...I don't know if there is a God who watched over me because my intentions were good, or just that I am lucky. I also think I go INFJ under stress, possibly, as it would cause me to introvert into myself and also become more conscious of what I was saying and doing and how that would impact others.

One of the reasons why it has been so hard for me to figure out my type is because I think I have been consistently ENFP over the course of my life, but have suffered from social anxiety, and also have become more conscientious as I've grown older, so this caused confusion, made INFJ seem plausible until I was finally enlightened by some insights about the type that didn't quite resonate.

Sniffles

Yeah I can relate to much of what you're saying Violaine. It certainly gets more intense the older I get. :-/

violaine

^Do you think this means we will be out-ESXPing the ESXPs when we are older?

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I am the opposite. I was a crazy, impulsive trainwreck when I was younger and had all sorts of naive, preposterous beliefs and become more conscientious as I grow older. I used to be so nice to the most undeserving people...I don't know if there is a God who watched over me because my intentions were good, or just that I am lucky. I also think I go INFJ under stress, possibly, as it would cause me to introvert into myself and also become more conscious of what I was saying and doing and how that would impact others.

One of the reasons why it has been so hard for me to figure out my type is because I think I have been consistently ENFP over the course of my life, but have suffered from social anxiety, and also have become more conscientious as I've grown older, so this caused confusion, made INFJ seem plausible until I was finally enlightened by some insights about the type that didn't quite resonate.
    Interesting. I am very curious as to how Extroverts act when in shadow mode...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    ^Do you think this means we will be out-ESXPing the ESXPs when we are older?
    In small bursts perhaps.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Interesting. I am very curious as to how Extroverts act when in shadow mode...
    We become Introverted and withdrawn..

Never able to completely trust our own perceptions from the start, and no longer trusting the perceptions of others.. we slowly and/or sometimes dramatically, break down.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

these shadow functions... i keep hearing about them lately. will someone enlighten me?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh... like the fact that I am becoming so damned Fe heavy the older I get?

it's not fair in the least, I'm becoming so damned nice that my past self would slap me silly
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I would recommend Naomi Quenk's book "Was That Really Me?"