User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've had those experiences, though not very often. The most intense one I can think of was a service trip I took a year ago, which effectively made me become INFx/enneagram 4, for days at a time. I withdrew into myself, feeling everything very strongly, but whenever I would try to verbally express it my words sounded dead and cold compared to what I was trying to convey. I was so overwhelmed that my extroversion completely shut down. People described me afterwards as "Sweet and quiet and nice to everyone"...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    these shadow functions... i keep hearing about them lately. will someone enlighten me?
    I created a thread about it six months ago.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-downfall.html

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Interesting. I am very curious as to how Extroverts act when in shadow mode...
    When I go into shadow mode, which seems pretty often since I've been flying without a net, I try to lock my life down. I become very detail and people oriented. I obsess over everything. My thoughts which normally range very wide and fanciful narrow and concretize in a way that feels very deadening yet completely necessary. It's like the sun goes down and until it comes back up I spin a web in a dark little hole. I go reclusive and paranoid about other people. I feel like my normal inflated balloon self deflates and gathers into raisin form. A bitter, small, scared little raisin. A raisin who obsesses over his health and appearance, to the degree that I am capable. Usually it's about nitpicking my flaws. Even a bit hypochondriacal. My writing becomes smaller and smaller. More controlled. Normally my handwriting is fairly large and chaotic.

In his overall description of the self, Jung describes the shadow as all the tendencies that normally fail to emerge through the threshold of consciousness as they are directly suppressed by the dominant functions and dominant tendencies. As a result, the shadow expresses itself with a characteristically negative quality as the negative aspects have the power to break through when the normal consciousness is weakened by stress, etc. So, in my case the concrete thinking and introversion take on negative qualities. Obsession and hypochondria. In other types, the hedonism of the shadow can express itself in a risk-taking nihilistic way. The normally considered person can become reckless and solipsistic. Freed from the burdens felt but not expressed by the dominant ego.

There is a book I read while in London called "Owning Your Own Shadow". You might find it interesting.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    We become Introverted and withdrawn..

Never able to completely trust our own perceptions from the start, and no longer trusting the perceptions of others.. we slowly and/or sometimes dramatically, break down.
    Extraverts seem to have particular trouble confronting the Self. Yet, if we can maintain faith, which is trust in the universe, and try to face down the parts of ourselves that we normally turn away from, it can be a fruitful and worthwhile enterprise. Though, still a bit scary like stumbling in the dark. I find for myself that I become more spiritual the more I turn inward. This scares the shit out of me because for so long I have turned away from myself. Always believing that I was in control of the world and that I could sneak through it and get what I needed on my own terms. But then after thinking on it, I am scared because I fear the submission of the Self to the spiritual. The surrender of the Self to the rules of the universe. Both the natural order of things and the rules and codes that govern human relationships. But, once I acknowledge my own limits and the messes I have caused by doing things "my way" I feel more ready to learn. And, I think that is the saving grace, the desire and readiness to learn, to change, to let go of the illusion of control.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In spite of an insanely low Fe score on the functions test, I do see myself growing more interested in the Fe function. I see myself wanting to be more emotionally expressive and more connected to others and not so distant. I care more about the proper things to say or not say in different social situations and care about a harmonious emotional atmosphere.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

I can very much relate to the OP, violaine. I don't know if it's shadow, though, or if it's just that as we get older, we start to realize what we need to really be ourselves and be comfortable. We start worrying less about what is expected and what people think. Some of the wilder ones settle down, though. I guess maybe it's just seeing what's important to us, and having a lifetime behind us of the stuff we've tried and discarded?
    Something Witty

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I can very much relate to the OP, violaine. I don't know if it's shadow, though, or if it's just that as we get older, we start to realize what we need to really be ourselves and be comfortable. We start worrying less about what is expected and what people think. Some of the wilder ones settle down, though. I guess maybe it's just seeing what's important to us, and having a lifetime behind us of the stuff we've tried and discarded?
    That does feel like what I'm going through at the moment, it feels chaotic but positive. A nice spin on it too, thanks Tallulah.

I've appreciated everyone's contribution to this thread, interesting (and funny) stuff. Becoming Fe heavy later in life must feel pretty bizarre. *tangent* That is just what happened to my ESTP father though and it is completely bizarre/entertaining to see him "Fe-ing" out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I very rarely switch to full ESTP mode. In fact, I'd say the pattern looks like more like this:

INFJ > INTJ > INTP > ENTP > ESTP

Basically, F and J are weaker preferences than I and N.

I've seen so many ESTPs I don't care for, that I actively do not want to become that way.