• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Excessive Internet Use is Linked to Depression

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I totally agree based on experience.

Overindulgence in general is linked to depression.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
'Linked' is a very vague word.

Not all internet addicts have issues with depression, but I do believe that most people who have issues with depression are internet addicts, because of the social anxiety that's 'linked' to depression.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It feeds the beast.
I think those of the internet-obsessed have moments where they assess the reality of their lives after being immersed in the online universe, then deem the assessment as unsatisfactory. It's not a motivating assessment, especially to anyone pre-disposed to depression. It can be a safe zone, and it can also be a vicious circle. Does it cause depression? Maybe in certain instances where a person requires the outside world, but is simply choosing to neglect it. Does it further deepen depression? I'd say damn straight it does. It gives the illusion of functioning, but it can be better than certain alternatives regarding mental state.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
Imho, it's quite clearly the other way round - depressive people are more likely to spend much time on the internet, not that internet makes one depressive.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What's considered excessive internet use today will be normal internet use in a few years...

http://www.longbets.org/

Let's do it.

I see this as a chicken/egg issue.

Yes. Generally these types of links usually have causation going both ways, sometimes to a confusing, chaos theory degree.

It's pretty obvious how causation could go either way. Depressed people being too unmotivated or lacking the self-esteem to do much beyond surf the internet. Just as other forms of escapism can serve as short-term release. Then there's people who use the internet to such a degree that it interferes with metal and physical functioning conductive to happiness. The same thing that happens with excessive eating, sleeping, watching TV, work, exercise etc.

There are plenty of other possibilities that shouldn't be ignored. Even unusual ones, like screens shining light directly into eyes causing hormonal imbalances or something.

Anyway, studies like this have to be done. Often the supposed link turns out to be a myth, but when it's established (which it isn't), more specific studies can try to find out exactly what's going on.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How about this?

http://www.inquisitr.com/95216/moderate-computer-use-or-tv-time-linked-to-early-death/

"Moderate computer use or TV time linked to early death"

"…anyone who devotes more than four hours daily on screen-based entertainment such as TV, video games or surfing the web, ups their risk of heart attack and stroke by 113 percent and the risk of death by any cause by nearly 50 percent compared to those who spend less than two hours daily in screen play — and this is regardless of whether or not they also work out."

It's a lot easier to tell if someone's dead.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So it's the sitting that is deadly.

You know what else helps you die young? Going out and shooting up heroin or drinking and driving instead of staying home on the Internet or watching tv or playing video games.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Good points, Glenn Beck.

I'd definitely be hitting up a couch or park bench just to stare at nothing for at least half the time spent at this computer.

There weren't sheep to kick in the ass after in america 50 years ago, so I wonder if heavy smoking and driving cars (while seated) powered by leaded fuel helped them reach their mid-60s, or what's most likely a younger average deathrate than what we have now.