User Tag List

First 1234 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm definitely highly sensitive. Most of the traits described in the article fit me or have fit me in the past.

It's better than being highly insensitive.

I don't like The Notebook, though. Because it was so maudlin. Like a bath in syrup.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I wish I wasn't HSP, poke me, sensitive as an ox mule! I visited curious forums about it and read far too much into it once, bah, I have a penchant to do such things while trying to amuse the senses and nope. Would save me the trouble of being sensitive to energies.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I used to feel it was a curse, and it is difficult, but sometimes it feels like a gift too. I like being able to parse things apart, to hear things that others are not aware of, to see the patterns behind things, to be able to read another's intentions; I'm happy I have those things. I think I appreciate art and music at a more refined level because of my sensitivity.
    I don't like feeling hypervigilant. I find it difficult to relax without some kind of 'aid' (alcohol usually). I'm always aware of others around me and whether they are a threat to me in any way. I tend to visualize as many possible outcomes as I can. I am a very defensive driver because I assume others will make mistakes.

Hahahaha 5. i get MAD if i'm hungry for too long.

• I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once.
    • When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment, I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
    • Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me, disrupting my concentration or mood.
    • I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.
    • I am deeply moved by the arts or music.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INFP

I relate strongly to the descriptions of HSP. Strangely enough, it's the emotional sensitivity I relate the least to. At least, I tend to see things like movies as overly fake and can maintain a pretty strong disassociation to violent images. Really, beyond music I dont emotionally connect with art very easily. However, I feel like my senses are very raw. I cannot tolerate loud noises, bright or quickly flashing lights, bad tastes and smells, or uncomfortable textures. It has always seemed to me that my threshold for sensory stimuli has been far lower than a fair number of people around me. Of course I have a few friends that know exactly where I'm coming from.

I'd think it's far from a disorder (actually, I don't think I ever read anything that implied as much) but I don't think it's unreasonable to think peope have different sensitivity levels to different things. I mean, I get adrenaline rushes in crowded rooms, but some people jump off of cliffs to get the same thing.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Actually, this brings to mind the studies showing that introverts are actually chemically wired to be more sensitive to stimuli, leading them to desire isolation and calm (and get overwhelmed by people) more often than people who are less sensitive (extroverts).

So this is mostly just giving a new name to introversion
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    So this is mostly just giving a new name to introversion
    I thought that at first, but it doesn't hold when you look into it a bit further. There are plenty of insensitive introverts and 30% of HSPs are extroverts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm surprised by the studies, then. Perhaps they defined introversion differently from the MBTI Introversion. I'll have to see if I can find them again, that was a few years ago.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm surprised by the studies, then. Perhaps they defined introversion differently from the MBTI Introversion. I'll have to see if I can find them again, that was a few years ago.
    I believe I know what you're referring to - those that show how introverted brains amplify stimuli and commonly use different (longer) processing pathways in the brain?
    But not all introverts identify with HSP criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^ Yeah, I think I'm really introverted but when it comes to HSP traits I am definitely not HSP; I don't really have any of the extreme or negative associations tied to external stimuli or sensory input (I scored like 7 on the test in the OP)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ