• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts: How Do You Experience Introversion?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think it's a simple need for me to go at things alone. I simply cannot stand most people. That and it's oh so much easier to think when you don't have a headache caused by irritating small talk.

agreed. I absolutely despise small talk. Its the number one reason that i don't ever answer phone calls. I just roll my eyes and push the ignore button when someone calls me.

ygolo

My termites win
What stimulates you?
It takes almost nothing. A thought, a perception, a feeling, an impression which I can then follow ad-infinitum (or till another thought stream takes over)

How much external stimulation can you tolerate?
As much as I can tune out. I put "external stimulation" and "participation" in two disticntly different categories.

"External stimulation" is like a comercial on TV, or a pop-up ad, or telemarketer call, or an up-front survey or small-talk--it inturupts the desired stream of thought and tends to have the "volume" turned up much louder than the normal stream, and it feels like a hassle.

Participation, is an activity I am interested in pursuing (and I assume that the other participants are too). It is a mingiling of interests, a building-up off of each other. It is like the actual thing you want to read, the actual show you want to watch, the actual conversation you want to have, etc.

What is your internal world like?
It is very peaceful. When I am lef alone to my purely internal world, it feels like bliss. I have actually recoreded my blood-pressure when I can switch into this mode (which has become very rare these days, since I am either binging on recreation or working my arse-off), an it is about 20 points lower in "internal" mode, (110/70 vs. 130/90) than in "performance" mode.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it?
A lot. An awful lot. I think at this point I need a year or more where I am not "stealing" my time alone.

Non-"stolen" alone time is when I am in pure internal mode (either peacefully alone, or in flow-full participation with others) without having a performance mode thing stalled (and hanging over my head).

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?

Anything that doesn't come from (or mesh with) my own initiative feels like "an act," like I have been forced to "perform to exist."

There is a desperate need to go back to my own initiave, to go back to being in internal mode whether it is by meshing with my own initiative and/or acting on it purely myself.

Most external life is like constantly having to close pop-up ads to get a few seconds on the actual site you wanted, then going back to hours of closing pop-up ads.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What stimulates you?
Besides pr0n? *thinks hard* (Yes, I'm 5.) Any type of thought that focuses on reality, usually by zooming out. But stimulation isn't necessarily my favorite state of being. I would say peaceful reflection without intensely analyzing something is my preferred state of mind.

*Butthead laugh* It depends on the type and the company. I can only handle so much small talk that doesn't meet the above criteria. If I feel self-conscious or judged, then I can't handle anything for very long without getting exhausted.

Constant dialog relating one thing to the next on a conceptual level. Then a request that that stop so I can work on being mindful. With friends I'm usually either VERY silly or very smart allecky.

Depends on the company, but quite a bit unless I'm being nourished with the stuff in question 1. After I go out to a public place, after a date, after a day at work. I don't really pay attention to the time.

Chronic masturbation.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
What stimulates you?

Virtually anything, because I have a knack for looking at things at multiple perspectives and analyzing, and creating interest out of nothing. At least, for myself, I don't think I can make the dullest thing interesting to everybody.

The things that stimulate me most are areas of interest, music, conflict ( :doh: ), peace (yeah I know, way to be indecisive, but peace ismy preferred style), happy, quality time spent with other people, principles and ideas, occasional solitude, talking (unless I don't like somebody), exploring, and doing things (it makes use of the energy that's rapidly going to my mind.)

Life offers so much...:D

I can take a lot of it, it's not even a big deal to me and for me it's not related to my introversion; it's about whether or not I find anything enjoyable about the...stimulation. If I like being stimulated...:rolli:

For instance, there's this "friend" I have who is insanely loud and "worships me." Sometimes he just goes up to my face and says "HEY (name)!" Then my face immediately goes to my "unimpressed" look, and I get irritated, yet I greet him back, because he isn't a bad person and it's not a severe violation of any of my principles to say hi to someone who I dislike (and to me, this means that something is "not a big deal." It would be obvious to anyone but this guy that I don't think too highly of him.)

At concerts, if the crowd and the band are going ballistic but I hate the music then I shut out the external world. But if I like the music, and I feel energetic, then I get into it too, sometimes. I have mixed feelings on moshing, though.

Flashing colors can be very exciting to me, but I like colors. It all comes down to my judgments on whatever the stimuli is.

I'm somewhat flexible...

I don't know how to explain it...it's pretty much filled with EVERYTHING I've ever known: people, events, music, outer space, video games, nature, animals, projects, deadlines, feelings, thoughts, books, objects, problems, worries, what I see at a given moment, things concrete and abstract. It's the same thing as "my external world" but on the inside to me things feel more cohesive and related, offering a sense of calm. The external world, though full of "things" (and I love it for that), seems chaotic at times, and my "internal world" remembers these things. So the inside lets me process if I can't immediately "handle" something that's just happened.

My internal world...is not a fantasy world, or the fantasy version of the external world. Sure, I have fantasies and stuff, but it's not like my inside is a distortion of the outside, it's more of a copy of the outside that is personal (but not strictly private.) It's a copy (not a fake) that I feel truly belongs to me, it's like a journal (which I have). It is organized, but sometimes I ignore the categories of things in my insides and everything will smear together. This isn't really a big deal though. And the way I define things inside is really arbitrary, but usually I associate things with memories, feelings, or interests, and it all fits into a timeline.

It sounds complex, but it's not.

This is much like the external stimuli thing. How much alone time I need is influenced by the things that happen in a given amount of time. If something happens to me that really sucks, then my first instinct is going to be to turn to myself and ruminate, even though I know going to other people is a good idea. If something happens to me that is really good, then my first instinct is going to be turn to myself and try to "handle" the good thing that happened. I have a high threshold for crap happening to me or things that I dislike, so it typically doesn't make me need more alone time, but when something good happens to me then I need more alone time.

Alone time is the time for really hardcore processing of things though. This is when I'm dealing with something important or a lot of things at once. My mind works twice as hard as it usually does then. Alone time is something of a necessity for me...as it is for everybody I'm sure, but I value it more than a lot of extroverts, I'd bet. If I reallyneeded that alone time and someone bursts that bubble then I'll usually get irritated.

I hate making things sound like a bigger deal than they are, because I can and often "process" things in the presence of other people without being weird about it (I'm not usually very weird about it anyway). I need alone time every day, but I don't have to actually be alone to have it--when I shut out everything around me, and I'm REALLY spacing out, then that's alone time. If I look spaced out and I'm interrupted, but I don't seem irritated, you just caught me being naturally thoughtful or calm. If I REALLY need alone time I go out of my way to avoid people anyway, but I never need that much.

Well,

-That it's not a big deal. Introversion does not mean antisocial.
-That it's not a big deal. Introversion does not mean mystic/cool/quiet/shy.

Personally, I don't feel bored or lonely often, but I'm a human being first and an introvert second, and I need to hang around people too. Being an introvert can tell a lot about a person, but it's not something that's supposed to dominate someone's thinking when approaching people. There are billions of kinds of introverts, silly ones, serious ones, stupid ones, slippery ones, and something else that begins with an s. The stereotypes are true only to an extent.

That being said, I have been shy, quiet, and awkward for a long time, and I worked hard to get out of that. I used to be really rude, overbearing, and tactless. Sometimes, I end up overcompensating, like for example, I have gotten this idea into my head somehow that whenever I make eye contact with somebody...anybody, I'm supposed to greet them, for the sake of good manners. I've been curbing that for a while. It's been like an annoying habit, like biting your nails. Sometimes I make more attempts at conversation than necessary, too, out of worry that I'm making someone else feel too uncomfortable (extrovert or introvert.) I'll say really stupid things just for the sake of talking, when I don't really want to. I'm just getting used to caring a bit more, but I'm a lot better with finding that middle ground nowadays.

So I'm a friendly guy, and I don't want to say I put up fronts, but I can't help but say that I don't do everything naturally...which makes me kind of ashamed, but that's a personal thing.

In any case, introversion is just a facet of who I am.

Edit: Awesome, I wrote an essay... T_T

Edit again: What's with the anti-small talk sentiment? If you want to "find out" things about a person, small talk can do just that, by revealing things like interests and opinions on small things. This offers insight into character. But why not talking for it's own sake?

Edit again and again: Introversion, as with any personality trait, excuses NOTHING about a person. Some people never grow up because they let that be who they are. INTJ's for example, yeah, "INTJ's needs a lot of time alone to think and process blah blah blah blah," true as that may be, it doesn't give them (or anyone) the right to be unfair in their introversion (calling friends every three months, etc.)

Last edited:

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
The louder my environment is, the more likely I will go into introspection, tune everything out around me, and when needed to interact with my environment in a given situation, everything is on autopilot. For example, I was delivering food one day, and my radio was blaring like usual, and I zoned out like usual while driving, next thing I know, I didn't know where the hell I was, and had no memory of where I was driving. Turned out, I had driven around for 15 minutes and was going completely the wrong direction, and it took me a good five minutes to figure out where I was. Also, I know the city like the back of my hand, so this is hard for me to do.

When it's quiet, I have absolutely no concentration, and my thoughts are so scattered I can't even figure out what I'm thinking about. If it's quiet and I'm not focused on something, I am extremely uncomfortable, but I am still oblivious to my surroundings. For example, driving home on a state highway at 4 in the morning, and my car didn't have a radio this time, I almost drove into a helicopter in the middle of the road. Cops had a hard time believing I wasn't on any kind of drug or substance, and I was like wtf is goin on.

When I'm around people for most of the day, I will have to sacrifice my sleep for the night so I can spend my time alone doing whatever.

Also... off topic, why the hell do so many people feel the need to talk to you while you're reading? I figure they'd notice that I don't want to talk to them when I only reply with one word or something, but they're persistant, and I feel like breaking something when they do that.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
When any introverts out there can tear themselves away from the books they're currently reading, please take a moment to explain how you experience introversion.
Sure!

What stimulates you?
MUSIC (any kind), learning, a one-to-one conversation, the Internet

Working around a lot of people AND making decisions all day long wears me out. Being around lots of people at a rock concert invigorates me (mindless). Being around a lot of people in a bar (or like Six Flags) wears me out. Talking to strangers on the computer all day long invigorates me. When I am around a bunch of friends or family, as much as I love them, it's better that I drive separately, because I hate being beholden to people and HAVE to stay with them on their terms. When it's time for me to go, it's pure drudgery when I have to wait for the other person to leave. I end up feeling resentful and wishful that I would have drove separately.

Colorful, quiet, rich with fantasy

I need it a lot. My kids have asked me many times if I am going to miss them, and I will say, of course! But I don't NEED them to be near me. I know I can go days/weeks/months without being near them or anyone. Their Dad, OTOH, needs them around. He can't stand to be alone.

For me, I don't think I have ever in my life been bored. There is always so much to learn. So many things excites me, and I don't need people to give me that excitement. I am very glad to have people in my life, though, because I do like to interact with folks, however I am highly independent, and I don't need anyone. I do need someone to love (and to be loved back), though, and I will enact delayed gratification (years of singleness) to get what I want.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I'm surprised nobody made this one based on the extroverted one.

When any introverts out there can tear themselves away from the books they're currently reading, please take a moment to explain how you experience introversion.

What stimulates you? How much external stimulation can you tolerate? What is your internal world like? How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?

Thank you for your participation. You may return to your book reading. :D
How do I experience introversion? By myself. Sorry, I couldn't help it. But I do want to know how one can be stimulated in an introverted way. Would that not take some external source, which then means you would be extraverting?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

What stimulates you? How much external stimulation can you tolerate? What is your internal world like? How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?

What stimulates me? Random ideas... in which I so happen to make connections to something else. So I suppose they're not so random afterall. I do enjoy going about doing random silly things (provided nobody's going to see me of cause). You can say trying new things also stimulates me.

What is my internal world like? Um, I'm afraid I don't know what it looks like myself. I keep in my head a scattering of stories... I suppose it includes some theories and models of how the world/people behaves and works. Sometimes I run one or two of them in my head. Mostly daydreams about what will happen in various cases. I like using this one as an example because of shock value... Sometimes I see big trucks rumble by on the street and I imagine what will happen if I sudden run in front of it... or push somebody in its way. Of the truck driver slamming on the breaks but couldn't stop in time... Of myself... or the person freezing while watching the truck get closer, then trying to run/jump aside. Of failing to do so and the points of impact on the vehicle... then depending on the velocity of the vehicle and angles of impact, the trajectory of the person/body... the amount of blood... surprisingly there's not much blood upon impact... blood only pools after everything stopped. :huh: Anyways, all that good stuff. :yes: What can I say, there's a corner in the NF mind (or at least mine) that doesn't involve fluffy bunnies.

The exact amount of alone time varies for me quite a bit. Sometimes I can go for days by myself... other times I need people (a couple as in one or two) to talk to. Your guess is as good as mine as to how frequent I require down time. Depends on the situation I'm in.

What comes along with it that people don't realize? *blinks* Well if other people don't realize it, I doubt I can point them out to you... Introversion to me just is... I don't know what does or doesn't come with it.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The flaw in this kind of question is that anyone who's really introverted or really extraverted will have a hard time imagining the alternative, which, in effect, will make it hard to describe the normal state that they take for granted.

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

What stimulates you? Concepts and principles. I'm seldom interesting in anything that does not make me think deeply and richly. I sometimes suffer from "thought exhaustion", where I will analyse several complicated ideas at once, for hours, without venting any of it, until I just get tired and want to go to sleep. But I can't sleep, interesting ideas keep me awake. :laugh:. It's not all just intellectual stuff, either. Sentimental considerations are very important to me. The value of affection goes far beyond the physical interaction. When I take time to be affectionate, I take time to reflect on my love. Love is very important to me in it's conceptual form. It's one of the most compelling ideas of all.

Is there a standard measurement for this? :huh:
I don't like being outside in the city, because there's too much crap.
Crowding, noises, lights, and so forth bother me, Especially the noise part. I am sound sensitive. Just dealing with five people is about my limit. I hate parties. It drives me crazy when there are multitudes of different conversations, or when there is talking and music and movie on, all at the same time. I really identify with the introverted trait of need to recover after socializing. I literally feel physically exhausted by it. When I get back home, I have to flop into my bed for a little while.

It truly is a whole other world, and I can get lost in it. It's vivid, rich, and far too extensive to fully describe. IT's extremely important to me.

I like at least a few hours to myself every day. I especially like it when I'm alone but have a lot of space. When I still lived in a small rural town, I would go out at 2:00am and just stroll about with no one else around, thinking to myself and absorbing the atmosphere. It was very therapeutic.

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize? I don't know what other people realize.

I have noticed that many people just take Introversion to mean being alone and only focusing one's self. The second part is completely wrong, and the first part is hardly the only thing to being an Introvert.
1: Introverts reflect before acting, whereas Extraverts act before reflecting.
This is very important. It makes up a large part of the difference in their behavior.
2: Introverts can be very interested in things outside of their own world.
Their self-derived means of thinking can sometimes give them a very unique and insightful point of view.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
What stimulates you?

Anything that inspires me artistically. New angles/perspectives.... lightbulb moments. Coming up with new ways of doing things. Finding a solution to a problem I've been having. A new realization about something in my or someone else's past... removing "onion skins"... I guess that's "lightbulb" too. Music. A really good (interesting) conversation. Finding a practical application for an abstract thought which is a major joy. Using already attained knowledge plugged into something new to me.... Its "wow! that will work here too".. thinking outside the box.
Oh, and finding/playing a great rpg game.

I don't really know what "how much" means... I don't know how others experience it... but, giving it a go, I don't like loud sounds even if they may be pleasant at a lower volume. I'm, claustrophobic so even one other body in my personal space really gets to me (with exceptions;) ) I can't focus with too many people in the grocery aisle for instance or sitting too close socially. I get disoriented. At a social gathering, there has to be plenty of "elbow room." I can't go to movies.. just too close...any place thats "packed" is difficult. Even if there are alot of people at the video store; mall or grocery store, I come home exhausted.

I'm not sure I know but I do think its happy or, perhaps, contented. I'm pretty much always engaged in thought but haven't paid that much attention to the "world" it creates. Except I do have to be careful of negative thinking as it will give me a downer day. Whatever I think about absorbs me. The day varies with the thoughts I guess. At the end of the day, I don't think I could really say what I've been thinking about unless its problem solving and I'm absorbed in a particular one most of the day. I just know I've been thinking all day, flitting from one thing to another.... why someone on TV phrased somthing as they did.... why the builder chose 3/4" molding instead of 1/2"... on and on... and coming up with the pertinent possibilities. Its always been a curious question to me when hubby, for instance, asks "How was your day?" My answer is always "fine." And that's true but to recite what I did is trivial to me and is usually hard to remember unless I've solved something tangible that required alot of singular thought and, then, how I solved it is the thing; the idea I had... not that I did it. Its the process that fascinates me. I observe that in myself and others. When seeing what someone else did, I ask "How did you come up with that?" Edit: All in all I would say its one of observation akin to what I imagine being "out of body" might be. Hard to explain really except that I'm seldom "being" and am usually observing myself "being." My world is filled with curiosity about most everything and if something has "grabbed" me, I don't rest until that curiosity is satisfied.

I've gotten used to needing alot of it every day. I've become somewhat of a hermit... probably just my stage in life as I haven't always been that way. I do have to go out for necessary life things but just get them done and get home. Maybe once or twice a month I'll tarry but it, even then, begins as some essential mission. I'm not one to go out just to "enjoy" the day out.

Again, I'm not sure. I don't know what they think it is. One thing they might think is that we're shy. I'm not... although I do carry around a slight feeling a "shame" as I think I've been conditioned that way and am not sure that's especially a marker of an introvert. I say the "shy" thing because most people are surprised to find I'm not. My private environment has to be really comfortable for me? Inordinately so I think. It does get lonely at times, but maybe people already think that of introverts. Although being alone is still preferred over most company most of the time. I've known so few people who could hold my interest in conversation so I don't know if I knew more of those kinds if that would be the case. I go to physical therapy twice a week and its one-on-one with my therapist and we have interesting, enjoyable, conversations as he works but, were he not so interesting to talk with, it would be exhausting for me. He's a fairly abstract thinker and not ashamed to share his thoughts. I do crave human interactions. Its just hard to find satisfying ones. While alone and thinking of something that interests me, I do wish I had someone to share it with but most would be bored to tears. So I don't mean to sound egotistical... it goes both ways and I know it. Perhaps I find being around people exhausting because I'm always having to monitor myself so as not to unduly bore anyone. Surpressing "who" I am around people requires alot of energy. Edit: I am truly astounded seeing others who appear to be thinking of nothing at all.. which I know isn't possible but they sure appear to be able to do that to me.

Okay... off to an exciting rpg world where I can freely engage "others" and conquer new problems.;)

Last edited:

The Unknown Essence

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I relish my inner world. I love living in the wonderfully bizzare landscape of my thoughts. I can't handle much external stimulation. I hate any social gathering and I absolutely love solitude. Even one-to-one interactiion is draining.
I think the main thing that people don't understand about introversion is that it isn't in any way the same as misanthropy.

MEC

Introversion

Hi Iam new here,my internal world is pretty lonely,I like some time out each day I like to be mentally stimulated and humour,the hardest thing is expressing my self if you don't believe me check my profile.:rolli:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I read somewhere that introverts don't like noisy work environments, but if they have a low need for stability (high T), then they're likely to be able to adapt to anything. That's how I was with school work. I didn't care too much about the environment.

I hope this isn't necroing, buuuut...

I've found that this is very, very true. I can be alone anywhere, even if it's in a crowded metro or school cafeteria. It's only when people start bothering me to be social is it ever a problem.

Anything can be stimulating if you look at it hard enough. If you no longer look at the thing and look at its implications, it can be interesting. It's only that most people can't be bothered to look at implications so I'm very, very bored by most conversation.

My internal world is constantly working. Sometimes it doesn't shut down if I need sleep. It consistently moves forward drawing new conclusions, if they're about the subject at hand or if they're about something very, very far away. These conclusions are usually then stored for later reference and people don't find them unless I'm questioned.

I like 'alone' time, but I don't need to be physically alone to have alone time. I can't stand talking for too long, there's a whole lot of lulls in conversation. I can only maybe speak for five minutes at a time, and then things get quiet again... I'll do things like bring a book to the dinner table. People HATE that. They call me antisocial.

Most people either just go ahead and think that introverts are either 'shy' or think that they're 'too good for what's around them' when really they just don't need what's around them as much as the average extrovert, as in, it's not based in arrogance but something much, much deeper. Also, the shyness annoys me... I have little inhibitions about speaking my mind unless it's in a situation where I surmise that it's a very bad idea, and somehow this makes me anxious of people. Also, too many people don't understand that introversion is not really a choice. People have different extents of being introverted (I'm very introverted), but if you have trouble simply chewing fat, small-talking with people, then it's not really anybody's fault.

In fact, if people had a choice of being introverted over not, I'm sure that there would be a lot more introverts. :D

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What stimulates you?

natural ambiance(at night)......and only that
thunder and lightning
the wind among the leaves
walks @ 2am
playing the guitar

ImNotTooPopular said:

If i am having fun......4 hours not work related
although i start to get quiet again after 10-30 minutes of not being quiet

not fun................very little....but i smile sometimes

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
What stimulates you? How much external stimulation can you tolerate? What is your internal world like?

I am not that extreme of an introvert. Competition and challenge stimulates me. I never actually got pushed to my limit before. A dance really bugs me because everything is so cramped so I just leave. I can be with my friends for a much longer time than I can be with acquaintences. My internal world is stable, consisent, and dark.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Being an introvert to me means having more depth than breadth, or at least valuing depth more than breadth.

Taberculosis

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I feel best when I am in my car.

It is MY space.

I have a long commute, but I don't mind because it gives me time to reflect on myself and plan my day.

As for external stimulation...extrovert people tend to exhaust me. I'm not lazy, but I'm like.... "do we always have to be hanging out with someone, or finding someone to hang out with? Why can't we just sit here and chill one on one"

I hate dance clubs. They are full of stupid girls who dress like skanks and get mad when someone "eye fucks" them or grabs their ass. You put yourself in that situation.... why the hell are you complaining?!!?

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
What stimulates you?
Hanging out with my husband and with other close friends. One-on-one conversations with other N types. Kittens.

Depends on the type of stimulation. I can handle groups/crowds for a few hours before I'm ready to leave.

Chaotic, strange, interesting

Probably 2-4 hours a day on average.

Societal pressure to act more extroverted and pretend to be someone you're not

Motor Jax

MBTI Type
INFJ
For me it's like claustrophobia. Being around people is like being stuck inside a cramped, hot, stuffy space with no room to move. When I get to be alone again it's like being able to stretch out and it's cool and refreshing.

People suck.

my sediments exactly... except the 'people suck' part...