User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    For me it's like claustrophobia. Being around people is like being stuck inside a cramped, hot, stuffy space with no room to move. When I get to be alone again it's like being able to stretch out and it's cool and refreshing.
    That's a very good comparison. I feel the same way when I've been forced to extrovert too long. I do, however, enjoy the company of a good friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What comes along with being an I that most people don't realize? Sometimes we just literally cannot think of something to say. No matter how hard we try our mind just refuses to work. Don't think we are just trying to be rude or awkward, we may actually be dieing to talk to someone.
    Hmm... interesting. I don't think I've ever experienced this. I can manage small talk if I have the energy to put into it, and I'm almost always thinking of things I find interesting and would like to share with anyone who would appreciate them. Unfortunately, I recognize that most of those thoughts would be considered strange and inappropriate for social settings.

I don't mind praying out loud, either. I tend to feel like it's an honor and priviledge.

What stimulates you? In a good way? Ideas; new delicious thoughts; beauty; feeling connected to a person or place; losing myself in a creative project; insights and revelations; those thoughts that spring from a place that doesn't have words; mystery; playing with my dogs; sharing laughter with someone I love; a certain type of atmosphere created by lighting, music, and a particular type of company.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate? Some, but not too much. If I can withdraw and regulate it, so to speak, I can handle it all right. Even noisy, crowded places can be interesting if I don't have to engage continuously--if I can be allowed to sit and watch and think my own thoughts. In general, I tend to avoid places with unnecessary noise or bright flourescent lights. I don't like multitasking and it irritates me no end when people leave the TV on while they're talking to others, expecting people will just ignore it.

What is your internal world like? It's sensitive to beauty and full of wonder. Always active and alive, making connections, searching for truth, replaying events to evaluate and analyze. Sometimes I feel so full of joy that I think I'll explode; other times it seems I'll be crushed by the weight of a sadness or fear. All alone, my world takes on the patina of an ancient tale with faint mystery, or a delightful fancy, or a stirring romance, or a majestic exploration and adventure. I shift perspectives and enjoy the novelty of seeing things in different lights.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? I live alone. When I worked alone in a basement office, I talked to friends or family on the phone once day and met with close friends a couple times a week. Now that I'm teaching, cooped up with 30 teenagers for 6 hours a day, I almost never visit friends. My energy is fully drained every day and I can't function if I can't recharge. I thought it would get better once I got used to it, but it's gotten more and more difficult to force myself to get up and go to work every day.

If the nonalone time is peaceful and pleasant, just in the company of close (and also introverted) friend who doesn't make requirements of me, then I don't need an over-abundance of alone time: probably an hour or so a day would suffice.

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?
    ~ I live inside my own mind because it's much more fascinating than the external world. There's nothing sad or lonely or second-rate about it.
    ~ If I'm not interacting with you, there's a chance it's because I've evaluated your thoughts and decided that my own are more interesting. Or it might be that I can't talk becuase I'm very busy listening and noticing what's going on around me. Or sometimes I'm just enjoying the peace and quiet.
    ~ Probably most people on this forum realize it, but often people in real life don't realize it: being an introvert does not mean I dislike people.

heart on fire

What stimulates you?

Ideas, reading, writing, listening to music. Studying people's motivations, emotions, hypocrisies, contradictions. Looking for patterns in behavior, duality in things.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate?
    Not a lot. I cannot stand things like a TV running in the background or other "background" noise.

What is your internal world like?

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it?
    Need daily large blocks of time spent alone.

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?

How hard it can be to extrovert out what I truly am inside. People think I am lights on nobody home. I also agree with Meta, people often don't realize how hard it can be at times to think of something to say even when I want to connect very badly, at times I just cannot make a connection. Very painful at times.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    ~ I live inside my own mind because it's much more fascinating than the external world. There's nothing sad or lonely or second-rate about it.
    ~ If I'm not interacting with you, there's a chance it's because I've evaluated your thoughts and decided that my own are more interesting.
    I like these answers.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Yes, I simply refused to do this. If God had a problem he could take it up with me at some point.

I remember the one time I got called on to read something for my Spanish class. At the end of the class, when everyone was leaving the teacher walked up to me and says, "Don't worry. I won't ever ask you to read anything again." lol
    Really? I enjoy reading stuff to the class and answering questions the teacher gives. I don't think this has anything to do with introversion, personally. I consider myself as introverted as they come, but I'm certainly not shy.

MBTI
    infp

What stimulates you?
    Thinking/living/feeling in my head, even if I'm speaking to others. Using my... mind, rather than focusing on outside things in general is good. Even if I'm in conversation with someone and I am being very attentive, in my head I am still in deep contemplation. But even then social situations eventually wear me down Any work where my brain takes full control and the external world ceases to be is good, i.e. playing guitar, reading, writing, thinking, watching a movie, drawing, painting, ect.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate?
    Only so much, and it depends on context to. For example, I was watching a movie with a freind (who I think is an ESFP with a super batshit insane extraversion preferance) and he constantly looked over at me and said soemthing and NEEDED my reaction. I was stuck in my mind watching the friggin movie and he was being a real asshole! He got pissed at me for being "antisocial" that night and I got pissed at him for not shutting up! I can't stand crowded areas at all, its too claustrophobic, it feels aweful

What is your internal world like?
    Nice paint, big windows, beautiful sunset, but not enough seating No, uh... yep, its insane, but in a beautifully sane way, know what I mean. To outside people my thoughts may seem irrelevant and nonsensical, but there is really a crazy well of thought and possibility and all that good stuff. Its like Don Quixote, sometimes I look insane, sometimes I may more sense than anyone you'll ever meet, but I never cease to baffle you with my next move. I've had people describe me much like that, actually I really think Don Quixote describes the INFP mind quite well, actually, but not introversion (which is the focus of this thread!). My internal world is full of the classic INFP (enneagram 4, by the way) stuff like imagination, possibilities, emotions, thoughts, random stuff that makes me laugh and everyone goes "whats he laughing about", ect.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it?
    I need a lot of time alone. After a day at school I need to be alone. If I'm not, I'll kill you. After any gathering I need to stay awake and be alone for at least an hour or two before I can sleep soundly. I can't give you a specific number of hours or some kind of schedule (me scheduling, thats a good one ), but I will say that I need a lot of it and frequently.

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize? Well first, do most people even realize the introvert/extravert dynamic at all?

But whatever.

They don't realize that it means you never really feel lonely (unless, ironically, you are surrounded by people), or that its awesome, or that it doesn't mean you arn't social and don't talk. I guess a lot of people assume introverted means shy and untalkative, but it really isn't, its just the energy of your mind being focused inside your head. Being shy is being afraid to speak. I guess the condition of introversion will consequently result in less talking, but I'd say its more like there is talking, it just needs to be balanced out with alone time. Being introverted doesn't have to mean being a loner who never talks, and its silly that people think that, really.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

What stimulates you? Movies, video games, books, anything related to the illusion business. I also obsessively research topics of my interest. Wikipedia is a haven for me, even though I bash others for using it so I can have something to bitch about.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate? Well, I watch movies quite often. I look at a computer screen quite often. I'd say external stimulation isn't too bad. However, I am highly focused on one thing at a time. However, I will fit in some multitasking here and there.

What is your internal world like? Things most people want to hear about, so that's why I'm going to talk about it. My imaginary world is stimulated by classical music. I can listen to a classical piece and imagine everything from a story about robotized world-dominating abortions to placing the piece as the background music for end credits. Due to recent trends of movies' end credits being more graphic, I often dream up my own design for end credits that would appropriately fit whatever movie I've made up in my mind.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? Constant. I cannot stand the obnoxiousness and shallowness of other people. If I find someone else who is profound or smarter than me, I become jealous, especially when they have a better life than I do.

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize? That introversion is a perfectly healthy way of life.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I also obsessively research topics of my interest.
    My INTJ brother does that a lot better than I do. I learn and research things in a random unstructured way. When I don't feel like looking things up, sometimes I can get my ENTP friend interested in what I want to know. Within a minute, he'll be sending me links. Sometimes this happens automatically and unintentionally. Sometimes it's manipulation on my part.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    [. I also obsessively research topics of my interest. Wikipedia is a haven for me, even though I bash others for using it so I can have something to bitch about.
    Me too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Me too.

Me three.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ISTP

I think it's a simple need for me to go at things alone. I simply cannot stand most people. That and it's oh so much easier to think when you don't have a headache caused by irritating small talk.
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!