User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Left and Right brained functions

4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, you're talking to one here.

I would say that it's STJ more than anything, and that description is largely representative of Si.

That being said, I would say it makes more sense to put both S function in their than Si and Ni.
    I don't think the 'Sequential' description fits Ni either (even though in the end, Ni wants to hone in on some structure/definition). Neither does it fit Se, really. I was just saying that the 'Sequential' description tends to allign with the Je functions - which is why I said it was rather 'J-ish' moreso than S - simply because all of the J's in the end are desirous of closure/order/definition, rather than chaos and things being up in the air.

Well, I never said the bolded.
    Sorry, I know you didn't, that's just me stating my opinions.

Who knows, maybe your primary judging function is what determines which hemisphere you most prefer, not just your dominant function.
    In terms of learning behaviors and preferred environments/results, I tend to lean in this direction. So, KDude's quadrant picture lines up better with how I see these things irl - i.e. P's trend towards Right-brain (Right Brain = Fi, Ti as judging functions), J's trend towards Left (Left Brain= Fe, Te as judging functions = external structure is desired).

That would make Fs more "right-brained" and Ts more "left-brained", which would seem reasonable.
    Eh... dunno. I think ENTP's are a good example of those with very Right-brained learning styles and such, whereas ISFJ's tend to be more left-brained in terms of learning environments (structure, organization, etc).

Honestly I think it depends on what you're focusing on. I mean, with these examples, clearly ENTP's are Analytical (as are INTJ's) - which would point to Left-brained. But ENTP's I think are very Right-brained in terms of preferred activities/learning. They're almost a stereotype of Right-brain thinking imo.

[And if we're going Brain Dominance by F=Right, T=Left, that means I'm a T. Am I then? ]

I think things are being combined that maybe shouldn't be -- i.e. The definitions of 'Left-brain dominance' vs. 'Right-brain dominance' will vary depending on whether you're looking at Preferred Activities vs. Key Words. So if people are focusing on preferred activities, the types that fall under Right Brain will be a certain list of types. If people are focusing on key words, then the list of types falling under Right Brain might be quite different.

Now, there are three parts to this description: the title/name, the key words, and the preferred activities.

1. The title/name: imaginative thinking - You don't think imaginative thinking is a decent description for Ni? Nor for N as a whole?

2. The key words: Visual, holistic, intuitive, innovative, and conceptual - Other than maybe "visual", those all seem congruent with Ni, if you ask me.
    I did end up specifying in my post that Preferred Activities is what I think don't fit Ni.

Yes, on a high level, the descriptive key words can fit Ni's aims.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, you're talking to one here.

I would say that it's STJ more than anything, and that description is largely representative of Si.
    Every description I've read of Te would reflect "quadrant B" instead (unless you're saying that descriptions of Te are clouded by the fact that Si is heavily associated with it.. and that these definitions are really more reflective of Te in conjunction with Si).

Extraverted Thinking: Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not.

Introverted Sensing: Reviewing past experiences; “what is” evoking “what was”; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been. Remembering the last time you wore a particular item or the last time you were at a similar event—maybe even remembering how you felt then.

Definitions taken from here (Berens/Nardi)

4w5 sx/sp

*must come back to this topic after work today...*

daaamn you work! i wanna forum chat!
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Guesswho - as to the great number of Right-brain results on your test, it's not different from most brain-dominance tests posted on here. There's a huge bias in the presentation of the tests (i.e. Creative = Right Brain!!), as well as this forum, that Right-brain thinking is more desirable. In my opinion, Right-brain in terms of *learning style* tends to tie most clearly to all of the NP's, as well as the SFP's (they at least are more extreme in Right-brain leaning, w/ less input from Left-brain). In school, I think the negative stereotypes of right-brained learners is shorter attention spans and inability/reluctance to adhere to set homework schedules with more definition. Right brain doms tend to do better with role-playing, interactive discussions, movement, and visuals. They are much more 'random' learners, and tend not to learn well from reading/words, or from lecture-style presentation. Right-brainers tend to do poorly in math and hard sciences (or at the very least, it's not their natural skillset/ preference), but instead excel in the arts/psychology/social sciences/very theoretical sciences such as quantum physics.
    I know....the test should be impartial . I really couldn't find A PROPER test, the entire internet seems to be full of crappy tests, who kiss your ass telling you how smart and special you are. The MBTI kind of does that too...has a good word for all types. Hell...I'm pretty sure I am not an 'Inventor'
    I was good at math, but like a self respecting right brainer I never did my homework, and I remember always mixing up numbers, even though I had everything right , I would put a 713 instead of a 317, I would put b/a instead of a/b, and sometimes when I copied the equation I would get something from a row , and then put the rest from the upper row without realizing lol it's so funny when I remember my attention errors.