• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you become bored easily??

How easily bored are you?

• I'm an Fi and am easily bored.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I'm an Fi and am rarely bored.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • I'm a Ti and am easily bored.

• I'm a Ti and am rarely bored.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I'm an Ni and am easily bored.

• I'm an Ni and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Si and am easily bored.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an Si and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Fe and am easily bored.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I'm an Fe and am rarely bored.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I'm a Te and am easily bored.

• I'm a Te and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Ne and am easily bored.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I'm an Ne and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Se and am easily bored.

• I'm an Se and am rarely bored.

• Total voters

Sunny Ghost

Topic of Boredom

I'm always a bit aggravated when someone tells me they're bored. I'm one of those people whom are almost never bored. I can easily sit in a quiet house with no television, music, human interaction, or internet and still not be bored. I've wasted many a days in my life just sitting in silence. It allows my mind room to think... and how can thinking be boring? I do also keep myself busy with my own interests and hobbies. Sometimes, I also just enjoy observing. When I am interacting with others, I have little expectation for others to entertain me. If someone is overly entertaining, then yes of course I'll laugh and have fun. But I also enjoy non-overly exertive people as well. I take the time to get to know people, or simply enjoy the more laid back interaction. And if I feel someone else is feeling bored, then I amp up my own personality and become silly and will entertain the person I'm interacting with. I find most things in this world to be interesting, and will always find something to take out of every experience.

My question is, is this because I'm an introvert and I just don't need outside stimuli?

People will often tell me things, such as, "I can't stand being by myself." Or, "I can't stand this town, there's never anything to do." And I always wonder to myself, "Why can't people find the simple pleasures in life to be just as fun or entertaining or silence to be rewarding and inspiring?"

I feel as though I've even met introverts whom will make the statement, "I'm bored." Is this an introvert whom has been too distracted from their own self?

Or is boredom type related? Or is it not type related at all, but rather has to do with levels of health?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
To some extent, I've seen people use the word boredom when they really mean an inner state of restless unsettledness that they want to go away or else they have not spent enough time with the person inside themselves to cultivate a relationship with them. Most people don't like being around someone whom they have nothing to say to or whom they have to make small talk with, so they avoid their own company! Others have become accustomed to constant external input rather than ever learning to generate input internally to the external world in the form of thought, projects, skill development, creative endeavors etc. When things are too quiet, they feel a kind of alarm bell going off that something is wrong and seek out something to distract them from it.

Having said all that, I don't know how much extroversion plays into it. I do realize that some people get energy from interaction and that can't completely be discounted. I think that's different though than a feeling of panic the moment there is silence or a lack of stimulation and constant activity.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
On the poll, do you want people to indicate by dominant function or are we able to vote multiple times?

Sunny Ghost

i was going off dominant function.

however, i was more focused on introversion vs. extroversion and balance originally. but decided to take function into consideration as well.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I can be bored a lot. But I can deal with it better than most other people I know it seems. Like I can sit or wait somewhere for a long time while other people cannot sit calm for 5 minutes - my mind can keep me busy still. But oftne I have my bored phases too, but as I say, I don't get so nervous etc. about it.

Sunny Ghost

To some extent, I've seen people use the word boredom when they really mean an inner state of restless unsettledness that they want to go away or else they have not spent enough time with the person inside themselves to cultivate a relationship with them. Most people don't like being around someone whom they have nothing to say to or whom they have to make small talk with, so they avoid their own company! Others have become accustomed to constant external input rather than ever learning to generate input internally to the external world in the form of thought, projects, skill development, creative endeavors etc. When things are too quiet, they feel a kind of alarm bell going off that something is wrong and seek out something to distract them from it.

Having said all that, I don't know how much extroversion plays into it. I do realize that some people get energy from interaction and that can't completely be discounted. I think that's different though than a feeling of panic the moment there is silence or a lack of stimulation and constant activity.

Oh, I didn't mean to exclude the fact that I do know extroverts who seem as though they are able to cope with silence and most likely never become bored either.

My sister, an ESFJ, can be quite lazy... but comfortable in her laziness. She doesn't require the constant input of external stimuli. So, she doesn't seem to get bored... although, for her it seems as though she's sort of on shut down. (Not to say all extroverts are this way or that this is the actual case, but rather how it appears.)

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't remember the last time I was actually bored. I entertain myself very easily by doing little hobbies of mine, internet, thinking, or coming up with another creative idea. I don't think I've ever really had room to be bored. I've always felt like there are options, even if you're by yourself. It use to irritate me to hear people talk about how bored they were. I never understood how anyone could be bored with so much to do in this world! :wubbie:

Sunny Ghost

I can't remember the last time I was actually bored. I entertain myself very easily by doing little hobbies of mine, internet, thinking, or coming up with another creative idea. I don't think I've ever really had room to be bored. I've always felt like there are options, even if you're by yourself. It use to irritate me to hear people talk about how bored they were. I never understood how anyone could be bored with so much to do in this world! :wubbie:
that's sort of how i feel. so much to do, so much to learn, so much to ponder.

wolfy

awsm
I can sometimes feel bored, bored by situations. It is just restlessness and a feeling there is not enough to sink my teeth into. When I was a kid we were always told to go outside or much worse
... clean when we said we were bored.

H

Hate

I’m easily entertained so I don’t necessarily get bored easily, but I don’t like sitting around for too long doing nothing or else I’ll get antsy. I’ll start to feel like I’m a caged animal. It feels like a ball of energy starts to pile up in the pit of my stomach and I need to release it otherwise my body will start to feel a little uneasy.

So several times during the day I have to just go outside and walk around to burn off my pent up energy. I have no problems being by myself or spending a lot of time just thinking, but I’m like a dog that needs to be walked every day.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I get insanely bored easily. Think it must be some kind of disorder.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sometimes i get bored and crave adventure (this is when i really miss my car), but other times i just sit and go off somewhere in my mind, lose touch with reality and i love it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am very bored by particular situations, and am easily bored when forced into situations - let's say like jobs I've hated or when people are watching sports - but when I am on my own I have such a wide range of interests I can entertain myself.

There seems to be an endless supply of things to learn and think about, and I'm not bored by things that some are bored by, such as history.

I sometimes think that Sensors are more easily bored when there's nothing to do, like my ESFJ ex thought it was crazy that I've lived through months and years of my life without owning a television (though I do watch tv currently). I also noticed that an ISFJ male I know seems to get quite bored and expects others to entertain him if there's nothing "to do."

So I'm sure all people get bored just in different situations for different reasons.

Sunny Ghost

I suppose I don't think of boredom as restlessness.

I sometimes start to feel as though I'll begin getting cabin fever if I stay inside too much. But I guess my personal definition of boredom is feeling unstimulated or uninspired by the current situation, or by an idea or person. And the need to release energy, to me, isn't the same thing.

I have a tendency towards spending too many days at home and inside. So, sometimes I feel as though I need to take off and exert the energy or just have a change in scenery.

My idea of what boredom is, is sitting in a math class, incapable of staying focused on topic due to a monotone teacher and wanting to fall asleep. Sometimes, I think restlessness and anxiousness are quite the opposite of boredom. Too much stimulation and an uncertainty of knowing what to do with oneself.

I do think that sometimes people just toss around the word "bored." But even that's a bit irritating to me. I have a tendency to retort back, "If you're bored, you're boring."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So several times during the day I have to just go outside and walk around to burn off my pent up energy. I have no problems being by myself or spending a lot of time just thinking, but I’m like a dog that needs to be walked every day.

I am exactly like this! I do that too! I have to go outside several times a day and walk, but I can do it alone and don't have to have a particular goal, it's just walking to burn off restlessness, and so that I am not always sitting or inside a building.

I think boredom and restlessness are two different things, like IndyAnnaJoan touched on...restlessness almost seems more physical, like you aren't getting enough exercise or sunlight or interaction with other people? I also think I get restless when I'm sleep deprived...I experience it as being "boredom" but it's my brain's way of saying "let's go to sleep now." Either that or being so tired that you're wired, that kind of thing.

I get cabin fever when it rains heavily every day or if I try to stay inside for more than half a day, and/or if I don't have any real-time interaction with other people.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ne - Rarely bored. :3 I keep myself entertained, and being entertained doesn't take much honestly. I have my bored days, but usually I am well occupied.

Sunny Ghost

I am very bored by particular situations, and am easily bored when forced into situations - let's say like jobs I've hated or when people are watching sports - but when I am on my own I have such a wide range of interests I can entertain myself.

There seems to be an endless supply of things to learn and think about, and I'm not bored by things that some are bored by, such as history.

I sometimes think that Sensors are more easily bored when there's nothing to do, like my ESFJ ex thought it was crazy that I've lived through months and years of my life without owning a television (though I do watch tv currently). I also noticed that an ISFJ male I know seems to get quite bored and expects others to entertain him if there's nothing "to do."

So I'm sure all people get bored just in different situations for different reasons.
To the bold--Good point.

Although, the reason I brought up this thread was geared mostly towards those whom have a hard time finding content with silence (their self, and needing to find others to entertain them) and also with towns or cities they reside in (constantly complaining that this place or that place is awful because there isn't anything to do).

I won't lie though, I can become bored by sports or subjects like math. And sometimes there are people that are just dull who will bore me. But that's typically when I'll retreat to my own mind. I just don't rely on outside stimulation, such as other people or television, to entertain me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
To the bold--Good point.

Although, the reason I brought up this thread was geared mostly towards those whom have a hard time finding contempt with silence (their self, and needing to find others to entertain them) and also with towns or cities they reside in (constantly complaining that this place or that place is awful because there isn't anything to do).

But do those people just need more action? Maybe I was too hasty in saying that mainly Sensors get bored when there's nothing "to do." Maybe this is more indicative of SJ-ness (aren't they the "doers" of MBTI, anyhow?) or Se-dominance, because the Se constantly craves new sensory stimulation. This may be part of the reason people say ISxPs are the closest to being N...though they disagree whether it's ISFP or ISTP. Maybe it's just equally both.

I won't lie though, I can become bored by sports or subjects like math. And sometimes there are people that are just dull who will bore me. But that's typically when I'll retreat to my own mind. I just don't rely on outside stimulation, such as other people or television, to entertain me.

I am very easily bored when I cannot learn or occupy my mind, like I said at monotonous jobs or jobs that simply don't suit my interests, or when confronted with something inane to me mentally, like sports or soap operas.

But I do need external stimulation a lot of the time - this is probably Ne dominance, I do need books or films or the Internet or interesting conversation - but I don't expect other people to entertain me, I am quite adept at being alone and entertaining myself, and I have plenty of interests which do not involve a television or discussion with others. Like I said, I sometimes feel like the things I want to learn or read about are endless.