• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Showing understanding with 'I' and 'you'.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You: You like pointless repetition.

I: I like to point out your flaws.

Lien

You: You wonder how to escape all the time.

I: I escape every day. I escape right out my front door. I escape to Canberra which is like a huge outdoor lounge room full of interesting things to do and extraordinary people to meet.

On the other hand I carry around in my head a little prison where I am told what to do and where to do it. Mostly I just ignore it and escape, escape, escape. I escape like a bird from its cage and fly across the lake to fruit salad and fresh vegetable juice, to the University and the latest discoveries, and to artistic events held all over town.

Sometimes I feel guilty escaping all the time, but nothing bad seems to happen to me so I keep on escaping.

In fact I think I am becoming pronoid, the opposite of paranoid. Yes, I think I am becoming pronoid which is an unreasonable belief that the world wishes me well.

You escape everyday, to Canberra. in Canberra there are many interesting things and extraordinary people.

but as you escape, you still carry around that prison. where you're told what to do and where to do it. you try to ignore it. most of the time you keep escaping to Canberra to do wonderful things.

at times, you feel as if something bad should happen, but nothing happens. so. this good luck makes you very pronoid.

I want to keep talking with you. I do so want to go, to your city..

but i'm afraid to tire, of even that. so. i dream. but i don't want to dream.

Mole

Permabanned
You: You like pointless repetition.

I: I like to point out your flaws.

You: You like to point out my flaws.

I: I do like pointless repetition because repetition destroys the point. For instance, if you repeat a word ove and over again and again, the word will lose its meaning, its point. But in losing the point we gain the world. They say there is no point in gaining the world if you lose your soul. But I say lose your soul and gain the world.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You: You would like to know what gromit had for dinner.

I: I was wondering, how is your eye, and how are you getting on with dogs and people?

You were wondering how my eye is, and how I am getting on with dogs and people.
I am getting along great with dogs, as always, fine with people, as usual, and my eye is much better, thank you.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You: You like to point out my flaws.

I: I do like pointless repetition because repetition destroys the point. For instance, if you repeat a word ove and over again and again, the word will lose its meaning, its point. But in losing the point we gain the world. They say there is no point in gaining the world if you lose your soul. But I say lose your soul and gain the world.

You like pointless repetition because repetition destroys the point, and you believe that if you repeat a word over and over again and again, the word will lose its meaning. (And some other stuff about souls and the world. ;) )

I think that this is true, and also the word starts to sound funny. For instance, try saying "lunch" over and over. Or "oven." Or "porpoise." They're funny words!

Lien

You like pointless repetition because repetition destroys the point, and you believe that if you repeat a word over and over again and again, the word will lose its meaning. (And some other stuff about souls and the world. ;) )

I think that this is true, and also the word starts to sound funny. For instance, try saying "lunch" over and over. Or "oven." Or "porpoise." They're funny words!

You agree, that repetition can destroy a word's porpoise. you also think repeating words such as "lunch", "oven", or "porpoise" sound funny.

I think mushroom is a funny word. mushroom! mushroom! mushroom! and i wonder why Victor hasn't replied to my post. :cry:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You agree, that repetition can destroy a word's porpoise. you also think repeating words such as "lunch", "oven", or "porpoise" sound funny.

I think mushroom is a funny word. mushroom! mushroom! mushroom! and i wonder why Victor hasn't replied to my post. :cry:

You: You are hungry for Victor's acknowledgement and approval.

I: I still think this is retarded. This doesn't show that words are meaningless, just that mimicking someone else is meaningless. Speaking of which, I went on a date recently with a girl who was all into New Age crystal bullshit. On our last date (you'll see why) she wanted to confront me about the way I derided one of her pseudospiritual dance classes that she persuaded me to attend (with her lady parts). Anyway, she made me repeat every sentence she said to make sure I understood it. EVERY. FUCKING. SENTENCE.

Her: I'm feeling very concerned.
She stares at me.
Me: What?
Her: Can you repeat what I just said?
Me: No. I heard you.
Her: Can you just do it for me?
Me: No. It's stupid. I heard what you said. I'm not going to repeat every sentence.
Her: Please, for me?
Me: I'm not comfortable. Just talk to me normally.
Her: [protesting further]
Me: You. Feel. Concerned.
Her: And I really want to talk to you about it.
She stares at me again.
Me: OMG SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You: You have shitty taste in women.
I: I lolled.

Lien

I: I still think this is retarded. This doesn't show that words are meaningless, just that mimicking someone else is meaningless. Speaking of which, I went on a date recently with a girl who was all into New Age crystal bullshit. On our last date (you'll see why) she wanted to confront me about the way I derided one of her pseudospiritual dance classes that she persuaded me to intend (with her lady parts). Anyway, she made me repeat every sentence she said to make sure I understood it. EVERY. FUCKING. SENTENCE.

She stares at me.
Me: No. It's stupid. I heard what you said. I'm not going to repeat every sentence.
She stares at me again.

You still think Victor's metaphor is wrong. to you, imitation has no point. you went on a date with a girl, who you don't seem to care much for. she annoyed you by wanting you to repeat her.

I understand, and I don't care. I want Victor to reply. :)

i wonder if Victor is having troubles posting, since TypoC seems to be experiencing quite a bit of technical difficulties. or.. what did i do wrong this time??! :cry:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I: I still think this is retarded. This doesn't show that words are meaningless, just that mimicking someone else is meaningless. Speaking of which, I went on a date recently with a girl who was all into New Age crystal bullshit. On our last date (you'll see why) she wanted to confront me about the way I derided one of her pseudospiritual dance classes that she persuaded me to attend (with her lady parts). Anyway, she made me repeat every sentence she said to make sure I understood it. EVERY. FUCKING. SENTENCE.

She stares at me.
She stares at me again.

Yes, that is very annoying.

But it can be helpful for managing a conflict. For example, I often have to speak with irate parents. You'd be surprised how much it helps calm them down when I say something like, "I understand that you are feeling frustrated because [insert what they just said here]..." before I explain our side of the situation.

But yeah, I get why that was your last date with that girl. :laugh:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, that is very annoying.

But it can be helpful for managing a conflict. For example, I often have to speak with irate parents. You'd be surprised how much it helps calm them down when I say something like, "I understand that you are feeling frustrated because [insert what they just said here]..." before I explain our side of the situation.

But yeah, I get why that was your last date with that girl. :laugh:

You: You think it's helpful to acknowledge what someone's saying.

I: I agree. It's just awful to do it in a very mechanical, synthetic way.

Mole

Permabanned
I: I agree. It's just awful to do it in a very mechanical, synthetic way.

You: You are saying this thread is mechanical.

I: I have deliberately designed this thread to be mechanical just like learning the times table or learning poetry by heart. However if you wish to comment on this thread I have set up another thread under this topic called, "Meta Understaning with 'I' and 'You'.
So if we wish to comment on this thread, we are more than welcome to comment on the thread on, "Meta Understanding with 'I' and 'You'.

Lien

You: You are saying this thread is mechanical.

I: I have deliberately designed this thread to be mechanical just like learning the times table or learning poetry by heart. However if you wish to comment on this thread I have set up another thread under this topic called, "Meta Understaning with 'I' and 'You'.
So if we wish to comment on this thread, we are more than welcome to comment on the thread on, "Meta Understanding with 'I' and 'You'.

You have set up this thread to be mechanical. You direct comments about the tread to "Meta Understanding with 'I' and 'You'.

I would like to mature one day so i can understand others.

Deep down, I would like to go into a trance.

Last edited: