User Tag List

View Poll Results: How beautiful / handsome do you think you are?

100. You may not vote on this poll
  • NF - above average attractiveness

8 8.00%
  • NF - average attractiveness

28 28.00%
  • NF - below average attractiveness

9 9.00%
  • SJ - above average attractiveness

0 0%
  • SJ - average attractiveness

2 2.00%
  • SJ - below average attractiveness

1 1.00%
  • SP - above average attractiveness

3 3.00%
  • SP - average attractiveness

8 8.00%
  • SP - below average attractiveness

0 0%
  • NT - above average attractiveness

15 15.00%
  • NT - average attractiveness

20 20.00%
  • NT - below average attractiveness

6 6.00%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: How beautiful do you think you are?

I think a lot of folks in this thread are saying "average" when they're above average.

I almost never think of anyone as ugly, and usually think most people are fairly attractive, at least.

I never thought of myself as pretty growing up--I figured I was the smart or funny girl, depending on the room, and never expected any attention for my looks. I started getting attention for my looks in my early twenties, and I think I look even better in my thirties...but it's still weird to me that my friends assume I grew up "the pretty girl." I don't think I'll ever really get over the perception I had of myself growing up, but I've learned to accept/trust that others think I'm attractive.

Like Jennifer, my own perception of myself changes depending upon my mood. Some days I think look great and I'll face the world with confidence, and some days, I think all the makeup in the world wouldn't help.
    Something Witty

Senior Member Array Lily flower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    The poll asks for attractiveness. The OP for beautiful.

Are these the same?

Hmm. Attractiveness is what other people feel or think? While what I think, is what I feel?

I am slightly confused.
    Yeah, my mistake. I wrote "beautiful," then I realized that guys should be included too, so I changed it to attractive, meaning beautiful for women and handsome for guys. I specifically meant physical beauty, not attractiveness in personality.

I was mainly interested in seeing if the post that said that "most people believe they are more intelligent or handsome than average" would be confirmed by a poll.

It's interesting that more people agreed that they were above average in intelligence, than agreed that they were above average in beauty.

I wonder why that is? Are we shown too many TV images of others as "beautiful"? There really isn't a lot of competition on TV in the "intelligence" category.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    If it were 1963, I'd probably be considered a beauty. Since it's 2010, I'm more likely to be considered definitely average.

I predict that very little good can come from a thread like this.
    ha! that is EXACTLY how i feel! ugh i hate it. every year i get uglier - well i stay the same pretty much . . . but the "bar" for the "standard" keeps getting raised (probably due to the media & the prevalence of plastic surgery etc etc)

Senior Member Array FakePlasticAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revolve View Post
    well i stay the same pretty much . . . but the "bar" for the "standard" keeps getting raised (probably due to the media & the prevalence of plastic surgery etc etc)
    What happens to beauty when we all look the same...?
    "You can't take a picture of's already gone."

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

Hm, I think perhaps instead of thinking beauty no longer exists perhaps it's that ugliness would disappear.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

4w3 sp/sx

I look okay. Odd but okay. I've been told I was beautiful...I don't agree.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    ^ I agree with this.

Senior Member Array Lookin4theBestNU's Avatar

Admittedly, I did not read this whole thread so I am not sure which direction it is going. "Attractiveness" in American culture is a very intriguing subject to me. I think it's one of the biggest money-making shams out there. The more I study in my classes about Intercultural communication the more convinced of this I become. However, that being said every culture has it's own brand and way of idealizing one specific form of beauty over another in it's society. It was very interesting to see what "fashion" looks like in subcultures in America such as conservative religious communities. What I have discovered though is that Americans, in particular, hold a standard of beauty/handsomeness that is unattainable by a vast majority of men or women. This desire to reach this standard, although most know they will never attain it, will cause people to spend their money. Marketing in America to see how this is done is also fascinating. I know that I have always been greatly affected. We know as women, at least on an intuitive level, that this influence is out there and it's constant barrage can affect you even when you have a strong desire to resist.

The interest in this subject became even stronger as I listened to my ISTP husband talk to my 12 year old ENFP daughter. I heard all of the subtle cues of this often subconscious influence of what is good or bad for American women. I know on a personal level how quickly self-esteem can be lost and once it is lost it difficult if not impossible to regain. This could be due simply to the fact that I am also an NF but the urge to protect her from these types of feelings overtook me. Anyway, to make a long story short (er) I found an excellent documentary America the Beautiful (2007) that shows how powerful this is on the American psyche. Should you be interested it's certainly worth watching! It opened up a very important conversation in my house at least.

morose bourgeoisie Array

I'm average. But I talk pretty.