User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default College Roommate Pairing

I'm going to be in charge of roommate pairing for the upcoming semester. We have basically no true method of doing this. We ask things like "What music do you prefer?" as a basis, which to me does NOT suggest two people getting along.

I've read that the MBTI is ineffective when pairing roommates, so that's out of the question. I can probably get away with giving a questionnaire because I found a research article that suggests roommate compatibility and academic achievement are correlated. I don't know much about the enneagram, but I don't think it would be much more help than the MBTI (but I could be wrong). If anyone thinks otherwise about the enneagram I would be willing to hear you out. I could use the brief test found at Identifying Your Personality Type : The Wisdom of the Enneagram as the questionnaire if someone could show me some sort of evidence or reason it could work.

Other than that, has anyone read anything about effective ways to determine compatibility between people as far as being roommates? Right now the only solution I have found is to ask what time they prefer to go to sleep, if they mind having a messy room, and if they would feel comfortable letting their roommate borrow something if they asked.

We just have a lot of roommate conflicts here (most between women) and I know how stressful that can be, so I want to try and minimize it as much as I can. I'm already trying to convince my boss to let me put on a Living With a Roommate 101 lecture type thing, but having initial roommate compatibility would make the course even more beneficial to them.

Thanks for any help!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Ideally, the first question on the list should be a two parter:

1) Is there someone in particular you would like to be your roommate? Yes No
    Is so, who? ___________________________

Then you would add:
    If you answered yes to part 1, you can skip the rest of the questionaire.

That's what I liked. I only had three semesters where I didn't pick my roommate by name. Two of them were good, the third was not.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think the more externally apparent MBTI attributes are represented through roomate-matching forms (in general). "Do you like having people in your room or do you like a quiet place to study?" correlates (albeit roughly) to Extraversion/Introversion. "Are you messy or neat?" correlates (even more roughly) to whether a person judges or perceives externally. These surveys don't focus on optimal compatability, however, they focus on optimal worst-case pairing.
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Ideally, the first question on the list should be a two parter:

1) Is there someone in particular you would like to be your roommate? Yes No
    Is so, who? ___________________________

Then you would add:
    If you answered yes to part 1, you can skip the rest of the questionaire.

That's what I liked. I only had three semesters where I didn't pick my roommate by name. Two of them were good, the third was not.
    Well yes, that's a given, but only upperclassmen tend to know someone they would prefer to room with. Most Freshmen who come here don't know anyone; I guess I should have mentioned that I am mostly concerned about Freshmen. Sorry about that.

But yeah, we have roommate request forms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the first time I met my best friend/favorite roommate we HATED each other! she thought I was a wild child and I thought that she was judging me

In the end we got along really well because we had similar living habits (same bed time, both of us did our homework during the day and spent the evenings hanging out, we liked the same parties) and both of us were willing to compromise to make sure that our living arrangements worked out well for both of us!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I like ygolo's first question. That makes things a lot easier. I had a few different roommates in college, and I think compatibility in these areas are important to getting along:

1. Bedtimes (like you said)
    2. Level of neatness (like you said)
    3. Attitude towards having guests around a lot, including girls/guys staying over
    4. Study habits
    5. Whether they want cable TV, phone service, or any other bill that would need to be split
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I like ygolo's first question. That makes things a lot easier. I had a few different roommates in college, and I think compatibility in these areas are important to getting along:

1. Bedtimes (like you said)
    2. Level of neatness (like you said)
    3. Attitude towards having guests around a lot, including girls/guys staying over
    4. Study habits

5. Whether they want cable TV, phone service, or any other bill that would need to be split
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    the first time I met my best friend/favorite roommate we HATED each other! she thought I was a wild child and I thought that she was judging me

In the end we got along really well because we had similar living habits (same bed time, both of us did our homework during the day and spent the evenings hanging out, we liked the same parties) and both of us were willing to compromise to make sure that our living arrangements worked out well for both of us!
    I'll take note of this. These are very valid traits to pair people with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    istp

getting a roommate that you dislike is a good opportunity to learn cooperation and diplomacy

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    getting a roommate that you dislike is a good opportunity to learn cooperation and diplomacy
    This is my opinion as well, but after two weeks of living here we allow residents to apply for a roommate change (if they can find someone to swap places with or if there is available space elsewhere). Because they have this option most roommates don't even try to take it as a learning opportunity. If we take this option away we'll have a thousand parents calling and complaining.

We've actually had a total of 1 male friendly roommate change (two residents switch rooms with each other to be with their best friends; had no conflicts) and about 20+ female unfriendly roommate changes. Males tend to be more tolerant of each other, but I would like to make it so they don't have to stress through it. If we can lower the amount of roommate conflicts it would make our lives SO much easier. I know nothing will be perfect and there will always be incompatible roommates, but I would like to try and reduce it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Agreed, but things like bedtime, having friends over, neatness etc can be so straining that it erodes any chance of learning cooperation and diplomacy. It's more than enough to try to overcome T/F, I/E, N/S, J/P and individual differences. (And yes, neatness, having friends over etc can be related to MBTI, but it's far from a given. (Es preferring to meet people out and having their private space a sanctuary, Is preferring to invite a few close friends over instead of going out, Ps being sticklers for neatness, Js being lazy, messy people etc.))
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA