• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would you do in these situations?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
These are some hypothetical situations I'm curious to see what people would do. I'd prefer you choose one option and explain why you choose it, but if no option fits what you would do or think, please give your alternative and why.

Situation 1
A friend of yours buys a new car. They say they bought it because:
  1. It's a hybrid, low emissions vehicle OR
  2. The price was a bargain and it gets good gas mileage OR
  3. A friend of their's has one just like it and they wanted one too.
Are any of these answers more or less justifiable to you?

Situation 2
You have a friend who smokes indoors with their young children (under 10) living in the house with them. They've smoked since you've known them and are aware about the dangers of smoking, but you feel now that they have kids they should really try to quit. You:
  1. Say nothing. It's none of your business and they make their own choices.
  2. Occasionally OR frequently mention to the friend that it's not healthy to smoke and try to find ways to help them quit.
  3. Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids, so you don't have to see them smoking in front of their children.

Situation 3
You enjoy burning scented candles and incense because you find them relaxing and soothing. One day, your roommate comes to you and says they're sensitive to fragrances and asks you not to burn them. You can tell your roommate is nervous and looks uncomfortable while asking you. They have not made any previous requests of you and your relationship is good. What do you do?

Situation 4
You're in college and find a scholarship that would greatly relieve your financial burden of paying for school. The only hitch is that you can be no more than a college freshman in order to be eligible. You are midway through the first semester of your sophomore year and know the current semester is not yet reflected on your transcript. The organization giving the scholarship will make a decision before your transcript is updated to reflect your sophomore status. This means only you know you don't technically qualify. Do you send in your application for the scholarship with a transcript reflecting you are still a college freshman? If you get the scholarship do you take the money?

Situation 5
You're at the grocery store and about to go to through check out. You realize you picked up more items than what you intended. Do you:
  1. Take all the extra items back to their original spots.
  2. Put them back on the shelves closest to you.
Situation 6
You use a public restroom and wash and dry your hands. You throw the paper towel to the trash can but miss. You're in the bathroom alone. Do you:
  1. Pick it up and trash it
  2. Leave w/o picking it up

Jaguar

#1. None of them, or all of them, since what car a friend buys is none of my business. Nor is what car I buy, their business. There is nothing to justify.
#2. Option 1. It's none of my business.
#3. Depends. Is the candle in my bedroom or a room we both use, such as the living room? If the former, I do not bend. It's my private room. If the latter, I buy unscented candles and use those. No big deal.
#4. Nope. Not my style.
#5. Neither. I'd pay for them, of course.
#6. Usually I pick it up, but I have been known to say, "Ahhh screw it."

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Situation 1
It's a hybrid, low emissions vehicle OR
The price was a bargain and it gets good gas mileage OR
A friend of their's has one just like it and they wanted one too.

people buy cars for a whole bunch of different reasons, don't really need to justify anything--it's their choice.

Situation 2
You have a friend who smokes indoors with their young children (under 10) living in the house with them. They've smoked since you've known them and are aware about the dangers of smoking, but you feel now that they have kids they should really try to quit. You:
Say nothing. It's none of your business and they make their own choices.
Occasionally OR frequently mention to the friend that it's not healthy to smoke and try to find ways to help them quit.
Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids, so you don't have to see them smoking in front of their children.

none of my business really. they're aware about the dangers, so there's nothing else to say.

Situation 3
You enjoy burning scented candles and incense because you find them relaxing and soothing. One day, your roommate comes to you and says they're sensitive to fragrances and asks you not to burn them. You can tell your roommate is nervous and looks uncomfortable while asking you. They have not made any previous requests of you and your relationship is good. What do you do?

i get a second job so i can afford to live without a roommate. while saving money, i'll still burn stuff in my room.

Situation 4
You're in college and find a scholarship that would greatly relieve your financial burden of paying for school. The only hitch is that you can be no more than a college freshman in order to be eligible. You are midway through the first semester of your sophomore year and know the current semester is not yet reflected on your transcript. The organization giving the scholarship will make a decision before your transcript is updated to reflect your sophomore status. This means only you know you don't technically qualify. Do you send in your application for the scholarship with a transcript reflecting you are still a college freshman? If you get the scholarship do you take the money?

no. waste of time, next.

Situation 5
You're at the grocery store and about to go to through check out. You realize you picked up more items than what you intended. Do you:
Take all the extra items back to their original spots.
Put them back on the shelves closest to you.

i tell them at the check out i don't want it anymore and leave it there. i do this all the time.

Situation 6
You use a public restroom and wash and dry your hands. You throw the paper towel to the trash can but miss. You're in the bathroom alone. Do you:
Pick it up and trash it
Leave w/o picking it up

i pick it up.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Situation 1 Depending on their answer it may lead to an interesting conversation but I really have no judgement to pass on what others do in order to see one answer as more justifiable than any other.

Situation 2 I'm not comfortable when I see this, the child is not having a say. If they're a good friend I'd likely attempt to use whatever manipulators I could to make them not do it around their kids, it's often a lost cause though so avoiding spending time at their house would be the next best option.

Situation 3 Find something that doesn't bother them. Tension between roommates isn't worth the relaxing and soothing effect of incense, all in all standing against them would be quite counter-productive.

Situation 4 Don't really know how the US college system works but I have no desire to study something I've already gone over.

Situation 5 Leave them at the check out /lazy

Situation 6 6 to one, half a dozen the other.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Situation 1 - #2 as practical matters are most important to me in that regard. Behind that would be if I knew anyone else who had experience with the same type of car and had been pleased with it. Bonus would be if it was lower in emissions, as I feel like anything that I'm purchasing would at least be meeting a standard acceptable level anyway and there's a big price difference and sometimes efficiency difference with hybrids.

Situation 2 - #3 it would bother me since they are involving people that have no choice in the matter and whose health will be negatively impacted through no fault of their own. I wouldn't avoid seeing them with their kids, but maybe going to their house. I may talk about it if it came up naturally to get a better understanding of whether they lack information, they think it will be too hard to quit, they don't understand the severity of the effects on their children's health (or haven't considered something important) or they just simply don't want to and would adjust my course of action from there.

Situation 3 - Probably the third. If it's something that is only a little preference, but makes a big difference to someone else and they aren't being unreasonable in how they approach it, then I'd try to accommodate. I might consider the public space vs private space thing, although for some people that's no fix because the air circulates throughout the whole living space. Depends on the severity of the condition/dislike. If I cared a lot, I'd probably ask them questions so I better understood how much it affected them.

Situation 4 - Dunno. Wouldn't want to lie, so I'd probably explain the circumstances and see if I still could qualify. Sometimes they don't get good applicants or many applicants and sometimes people are more open to make changes than you might think. I'd make sure they knew about the transcript situation though.

Situation 5 - Honestly? Number 2, although if I thought I needed the item anyhow, I'd get it.

Situation 6 - I'd pick it up. I do that at ATMs too - even picking up the surrounding slips of paper littered here and there. I didn't always but one time seeing my uncle do it without saying anything kind of impacted me. I'm careless about other stuff like that though - it's mostly in those two situations I'd do that kind of thing.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
These are some hypothetical situations I'm curious to see what people would do. I'd prefer you choose one option and explain why you choose it, but if no option fits what you would do or think, please give your alternative and why.

Situation 1
A friend of yours buys a new car.

This illicits no reaction from me. I guess if the person bought a gas guzzling SUV or something you could say there is an ethical component to their buying decision but those all seem like valid reasons to buy a car.

Situation 2
  2. Occasionally OR frequently mention to the friend that it's not healthy to smoke and try to find ways to help them quit.
  3. Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids, so you don't have to see them smoking in front of their children.

If they are a friend I would mention it to them and talk to them about it. Gauging from their reaction, we'd go from there. If there's no getting around it, I probably would try to avoid socializing at their place. I don't really like seeing people do things to or around their children or even pets that I think is aggressive or health related. I grew up in smoking household as well and I have never met any kids who *liked* that their parents smoked, if anything they hate the smell and when they find out how bad smoking is supposed to be for you they are more likely to discourage their parents to smoke.

Situation 3

I'd scream "GET OUT OF MY FACE YOU PANSY!!!"

Nah, kidding. I've lived with a bunch of roommates, stuff like this pops up regularly. If I really liked the candles, I would honestly probably be annoyed (especially since I've already bought them) but I would comply with not lighting them when the person is around. I would try to work something out with them depending on how sensitive they were (even after you stop burning candles, the scent lingers for a while). Unlike smoking (another odor that roommates can fight over), which you can do on the patio or technically crack a window and blow the smoke out, the lighting of a candle is not a recreational break, you do it specifically to fill the area with the scent.

I had roommates who continued to smoke pot in their rooms even after being clearly told it was a non smoking OF ANY kind, especially illegal, in the house.

Also, I gave some of those 'king coil' incense burners to ward away mosquitoes and my roommate (who signed up on TypeC for a second) was burning them in the living room. Another roommate came down and told my roommate that she was having an allergic reaction to the incense. My roommate's reaction was so funny, instead of (what you might expect) quickly complying she made it clear she was unmoved and did NOT want to turn off the incense. The exchange went kinda like,

A: "I can't breathe, I have a really strong allergic reaction to that incense. What about my right to breathe fresh air?"
B: "Well, what about my right not to be eaten by mosquitoes?????"

LOLOL. If you can't tell already, Roommate B did not like Roommate A.

Also, this might be my 6 wing or my Ne or experience talking, but depending on how long I'd lived with this person I might be wary that this person is not suited for roommate living. After this instance if they ever complained about the smell of the food I was cooking or complained it was hard for them to do certain chores (like throw out the trash or clean with 'harsh cleaners') or the smell of my shampoo etc. was too strong for them, we would have to have a more in-depth discussion and see if the living situation was working out for them (meaning maybe they should move out). Compromise in a living situation is a necessity but some people just aren't suited to live together.

Situation 4

The chances of getting busted or haunted by this later are so high, even if you have no ethical qualms about doing it, you should have practical ones.

So no.

It's not worth it.

Situation 5

Depends on how much is extra, how much stuff I wanna buy, and how close I am to checking out. I'd either return them to the check-out person or stuff on a nearby shelf. If I had a bunch of time and it wasn't much I might return stuff to their original place. I have been known to get into a shopping mania, snap out of it, and then abandon my shopping cart.

Situation 6

Depends on how disgusting the bathroom looks. True story.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Situation 1

I suppose they are all justifiable -- it's not my money they are spending -- but I think the third answer is pathetic.
I'd be most likely to operate from answer #2, myself.

Situation 2

A two-step response:
1. I don't like cigarette smoke, so I wouldn't visit them when they were smoking. I end up wheezing myself.
2. I'd broach the topic once, in a more exploratory way rather than a lecturing way. If I feel we addressed the topic once, and they understand the impact of their behavior (or I better understanding their reasons), then it's no longer my business.

Situation 3

Funny question -- I'm actually the "friend" in this scenario, I am extremely vulnerable to candles. Just last week, my roommate was burning a candle when I came home, and I immediately told her I had to shut her bedroom door (with me on the outside) because I'd start wheezing otherwise. I can literally taste the candle in the air, the chemicals are so strong to me.

Since I can tell they are anxious about having to ask me to accommodate them, and since they don't have a history of trying to be controlling or freaking out unnecessarily, I'd try to accommodate. I'd see if my burning them just in my room, with the door shut, would be enough. or if there was some brand of candle that would work for me that they'd be okay with. Their request is not unreasonable, we just need to find some sort of compromise that works.

If it came down to one or the other, I would choose to not burn candles, since they can't choose to not be bothered by the scent. And if burning candles was that important to me, then I would see it as my job to move out and find a place where I could burn them, rather than imposing on a decent roomie.

Situation 4

Damn. I don't know what I would do. I guess I probably wouldn't apply, but depending on how much money I'd be on the line for, it would be very tempting. I just tend to think long-term, and that it would be likely for someone to find out, and I don't want to look like a creepazoid. Still, I have a pragmatic side that says it's up to them to make that determination when they offer the scholarship, and if they don't, it's not my problem. I guess that's a sleezy way to approach it...

Situation 5

While I am the person who typically goes around and hangs all of her clothes up that she just tried on, back on the racks she found them on (rather than just leaving them in the dressing rooms), when it comes to groceries, where I'm in a checkout line, I'd probably just ditch them on the nearby shelves.

If the items were cheap enough, and I know I'd eventually use them, I might just buy them anyway -- as path of least resistance.

Situation 6

I pick it up and trash it. Not even a question.
Note: I'm actually a good shot, so this rarely happens.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Situation 1:
I would not want them to justify to me why they bought it. I wouldn't have an opinion on why they chose their car. It usually would not matter to me.

Situation 2:
I would tell them if they are to smoke it is unwise to do it in front of their children. I would not directly tell them to stop smoking though. I may say troublesome phrases; "Look at the children playing. Wonderful to see a child grow up though unfortunate this one has to deal with such excess smoke. Never good for a child's lungs."

Situation 3:
I'd tell the friend that he/she is unfortunate not to be able to enjoy such a lovely scent though I would stop burning them while they are around.

Situation 4:
I would. I would not see much reason not to. Taking the opportunity is good when there is not much risk. There is no harm in the process.

Situation 6:
Rarely occurs but when it does I would usually leave it with the cashier. If it is a must between the 2 options then I would put it back in it's original place as long as there is no crowd at the cashier.

Situation 7:
I have done both when such occurrences happen. Though I cannot find myself being inclined towards one more than the other.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Situation 1
2 makes the most sense to me personally, followed by 1, but either one is fine. I might make a crack about them being green in #1 if the situation calls for it. If a friend actually said #3 (I honestly can't imagine it other than as a joke) I'd make fun of them for a few minutes, of course.

Situation 2
Tough one, it'd hard to predict having never been in that situation. Ideally, I'd say something to them at least once about smoking *with their children* not in general. So closest to 2 but only about the harm they're doing to the children. And probably I'd say it once or a few times and seriously think about not being friends if they continue. I doubt it's reportable abuse or I would do that. I think it's below scummy to expose your kids to that junk just because you're too lazy to go outside. My dad smoked heavily when I was a child but he never did it inside, or in the car.

I wouldn't stay friends but just avoid the house, that's weird. I wouldn't be around when she's smoking just because I can't stand the smoke myself, it's awful, but that wouldn't be enough to lecture her on it unless we were really close.

Situation 3
Stop burning them, of course. What kind of person wouldn't? If possible (allergies not too severe, different rooms, when she's not home) a compromise might be reached, but if not, what kind of jerk would keep doing it?? Some people are actually allergic or at least sensitive to perfumes.
Situation 4
No, of course not. First of all they would definitely find out (making it a waste of time to apply), second it's just not ethical. You could apply with a note saying you're not a freshman if you thought they'd consider you anyway. But seriously, there are tons of alternatives where you don't have to lie....
Situation 5
hehehe. I tend to put them back on the shelves, bad I know (unless i decide at the cash, then I'll give it to the cashier, but if I decide before that, I'll forget if I don't ditch them). As a former cashier I know to not do this with perishable items (it'll either be ruined or the customer gets bad food) but with cans or something....meh. Gives them something to do in the slow periods I guess. I do feel guilty about it but my laziness triumphs. :D
Situation 6

I pick it up sometimes (maybe 60%), sometimes not. Not sure what makes the difference. I guess if the floor's gross/already has paper towels on it I wouldn't, or maybe if I'm in a hurry. I do always pick it up if I drop something on the actual ground outside where people don't clean it a million times a day. :shrug:

note: this very rarely happens because I have terrible aim so I don't even try to "throw" it, I place it in the garbage....

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Situation 1 - I won't really say anything, since it's their money. I would personally fin 1) as more palatable.

Situation 2 - I'd prefer option 3). I can't stand smoking, I start coughing quite heavily after a while, so I would not be able to just shut up.

Situation 3 - I'd stop using scented candles, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Situation 4 - Sure, I'll take the money. I would be a nervous wreck by living in debt, even if I understand that's "unethical" to take the money, I would still do it.

Situation 5 - I usually put them back in their right spots, it seems really rude not to do so and it won't really be a big deal for me (while getting some money to live would be, comparing with Situation 4).

Situation 6 - I pick it up unless it landed on something terribly dirty / gross.

gromit

likes this
Situation 1
1, 2 are more justifiable, but I don’t think I would really judge someone for 3 either.

Situation 2
Probably 1. I don’t know. I hate that kind of situation. I never know what is the right thing to do.

Situation 3
I wouldn’t do it anymore. Especially if they aren’t really whiny/demanding in general. I’ve had a couple roommates who have been pretty particular about things like temperature, touching bugs, and lots of things. So that actually started to get on my nerves a tiny bit, but even then, when they asked me to not burn stuff, I didn't.

Situation 4
No. I wouldn’t. It seems like a recipe for disaster.

Situation 5
It probably depends on if I’m in a rush or not. Usually I’ll put it back, but occasionally I’ll just tell the cashier I don’t want the item after all and they seem to be not that annoyed.

Situation 6
Pick it up and trash it. I think I had that kind of thing drilled into my head enough as a kid that I just feel wrong not doing it.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP

Situation 1

Well people buy cars for a variety of reasons, so it's generally not much if any sweat off my back. That said, if your rationale for option 1 is to get something "good for the environment", then you should have bought a used efficiency. (I'll note that buying a new hybrid supports the production of more hybrids, but most people don't think that through.) I'd think the 3rd answer is kinda funny, but whatever. I've done that on other items.

Really, I'd just think you're perhaps well meaning but slow if you choose option 1 for the "good for the environment" rationale. Otherwise, I don't care.

Situation 2

1 or 2. 1 because it isn't my business. 2 if I'm actually friends with them or it is truly blatant. 3 may be considered a minor act of cowardice.

Situation 3

Put it out, or only use them when they are not around and give the smell time to vent.

That said, (after a point, and if the quality of the relationship goes down) if there are many more requests to alter other aspects of my behavior that require me to work harder or take the enjoyment out of something, regardless of how nervous they look, I'll tell them no.

Situation 4

They'd find out. Don't get caught trying to mess with a scholarship program.

But I'll play along and say...if you wouldn't get caught...what's a half a semester difference? If you were a junior, no.

But I'd feel uneasy about it. Probably wouldn't do it.

Situation 5

I've done both. I tend to put them back.

I understand the "they wouldn't have a job otherwise" argument, but it seems like irresponsibility and being an ass to just stuff things in random places. Same rules apply to clothing stores. I tend to view people who don't clean up their mess care as dolts. You wouldn't want someone doing that to you. They probably see everyone else the same way, because they can readily get away with it, or they are totally oblivious to those other mere mortals shuffling about.

This is a case of "not what you eat but how you chew it." If you're not going to put stuff back, then give it to the cashier for easiest resorting.

Situation 6

Pick it up. I'm sure I've left it (and committed other minor acts of littering) but I can't remember any instances. Similar rationale as last question.

rav3n

Situation 1
It's their choice, including reasons why and since they've already bought the car, my opinion would be extraneous. Had they asked me prior to purchasing the car, I would have made suggestions about which cars to buy, depending on what they're looking for.

Situation 2
Don't have any friends who smoke indoors around their children, although I do have smoker friends who smoke outside. And if they were close friends, I'd suggest they smoke outside. Beyond that, it's their choice to smoke or not. Not interested in parenting my friends.

Situation 3
Based on how you've explained their approach, I'd stop. Scented candles and incense aren't a necessity in my life enough to warrant bothering someone else over it.

Situation 4
No. Not worth the guilt and potential hassle if caught.

Situation 5
No, I would leave the unwanted goods with the cashier.

Situation 6
In the trash it goes, no matter how much of a hurry I was in.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
1. I wouldn't care, though I'd find the third response a bit odd and perhaps indicative of a need to be wanted or appreciated by others too much.

2. I don't worry about it, but if they wonder to me why their kids are always sick, I tell them it may have something to do with the air quality in their house, you dumb shits.

3. I try to burn them when they're not around. If it's a huge issue I'd find somewhere else to live.

4. I apply and take the money if I get it.

5. Leave them at check out.

6. I pick it up.

7. I like the number 7.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Situation 1

All of these are good answers, but the last option I'd probably probe more, wanting to understand why they wanted one too. Hopefully it's not simply because their friend got it.

Situation 2

Depending on the level of the friendship would determine what I say. Ultimately it's their decision, so hopefully they make the one that ensures the health and safety of the youngins. If they choose to smoke, I would choose to not be at their house, because it would bother me; maybe I might avoid them altogether. Personally, smoking in front of kids bothers me.

Situation 3

I'd stop burning them. If we get along well, and it's just one way to relax, I'd find something else.

Situation 4

No I would not do it.

Situation 5

Put them on the shelves, or let the cashier know I'm not going to get them, and have an employee put them back. They're paid to assist the shopper. That's like folding the shirt at the mall thing. I can't ever replicate their folds, so I just let it be. LOL

Situation 6
[/QUOTE]

Depends on how scuzzy the bathroom is. If it goes behind the basket- no.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
1) option #2 The price was a bargain and it gets good gas mileage

2) option #1 Say nothing. It's none of your business and they make their own choices.

3) Honor their request.

4) Don't apply for the scholarship.

5) option #1 Take all the extra items back to their original spots.

6) option #1 Pick it up and trash it.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
1. Number 2 is the reason I would buy a new car (number 1 too, if I could afford it, but I can't), but as for why a friend buys a car, I don't give a damn. I think number 3 is a dumb reason to buy a certain car, but they're the one who has to like the car, so if they like it, it's fine with me.
2. This would never happen in my group of friends, as all of the former smokers have already quit, or already smoke outside so as not to endanger the kids' health. If it did happen though, I would probably say something. If they want to endanger their own health, that's their choice, but it's a different story with the kids.
3. I stop burning the candles.
4. Don't apply.
5. Probably just put them back on the shelf by me, unless they need to be refrigerated.
6. Usually I pick it up.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Situation 1: #2 The price was a bargain and it gets good gas mileage
The option resonates the most with my own values and reasoning behind buying a certain vehicle. I would accept option #1, as well, but there are certain stereotypical vibes from certain people who would use that as their reasoning that I tend to ease away from.

Situation 2: #2/3 Occasionally OR frequently mention/try to find ways to help them quit. & Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids
I wouldn't expect them to quit, but I would advise they not smoke around their children. If it persisted, it would be an issue for me to be around. I may despise children with a seething passion, but I more so despise parents who decided to pop them out and neglect 'parenting' well enough providing their choice.

Situation 3: Refrain from burning them, while trying to reach a compromise.
I would assess if burning them in another part of the house still bothered the roommate. If there was a time where the roommate would not be home and the area could be aired out prior to their arrival. If the roommate could make an exception every now and then. Etc. If it bothered them that severely, then I would halt the process alltogether.

Situation 4: Depends on the consequence, if any.
If there were any large consequences, I likely wouldn't bother. This also depends on how clearly stated it is that only the freshman can apply. I would probably attempt it, but then resort to honesty if anyone inquired about it if all they would do is deny me inevitably.

Situation 5: #1 Take all the extra items back to their original spots.
If there was time, I would definitely take them back. There are certain places where I'll exclaim 'this is why they have employees', but there are also many times where I feel one shouldn't make the employee's job more of a hassle.
Otherwise, I would bring them to the checkout specifically and inform the cashier that I wouldn't be taking those items, while apologizing for the inconvenience.

Situation 6: #1 Pick it up and trash it
It's just common courtesy if it can be helped. I'm no saint and have definitely left things when I should have picked them up and I do litter every now and then. No one is perfect, but having the decency the majority of the time makes a person feel better themselves and allows others to feel better about not having such a mess to look at/clean/feel bad over.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Situation 1

The first two would convince more to want to get that car than the last one. The last one is just a matter of personal preference. It doesn't mean I'd want it.

Situation 2

I'd go with the second one. I really hate intervening but I care about my friend and their kids. Secondhand smoke can have dangerous effects. I would feel its my duty to make my friend aware of that.

Situation 3

I'd stop burning the candles in my roomate's presence. My relationship with my roommate is more important than some candles. Some people have serious allergic reactions to fragrances. I try to be considerate of that.

Situation 4

Yeah, I'd send in the application and act like I didn't know any better. If I got the scholarship, I'd take the money. Not the most ethical but college is so damn expensive.

Situation 5

If the original spots were near by and I could be guaranteed I wouldn't lose my place in line, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'd just mention it when I was ready to check out and let the cashier take care of the unwanted items.

Situation 6
[/QUOTE]

I'd pick it up and put it back in the trash can. If the trash can was already overflowing, I'd probably just leave it on the floor.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
1) I really don't care why they bought their car, it's their own decision. 3, however, might hint at the kind of shallow, easily influenced qualities I probably wouldn't be looking to see in a friend.

2) I'm not normally a rabid anti smoking campaigner despite my general dislike of the practice and the fact that too much smoke around can make me feel nauseous, but I have been known to tell people off for smoking around kids. They can make what decisions they like about their own health *and so can I if I happen to be in their company* but don't so far as I'm concerned have the right to endanger their non-consenting kids in that way; it's inconsiderate and selfish. My little sister's older kid was in hospital early last year with a serious case of pneumonia, and a week later she was happily sitting on the living room couch, filling the air with smoke while the kid played just feet away, because she couldn't be bothered to go out and shiver in the nasty winter cold to do it, or maybe had an exceptionally important program to watch on TV. I had quite a lot to say to her about this...

2, then in some circumstances; but if it was a case of merely having a bit of smoke floating on the air it's not something to make an issue out of just because I/the kid might catch a distant whiff. I'm more interested in protecting those who are not able to protect themselves when there is actually a meaningful level of risk than in imposing my own view on others for ideological reasons...

3) Depends whether it was in my private space or communal space. If in my own I would tell them to get knotted. If they countered with "but I smell it every time I go past your room" I would respectfully suggest that in that case they stand and inhale the air somewhere they find more congenial instead of looking to make trouble. A space that was used communally is somewhere not to make too unpleasant for others as far as I'm concerned.

However, I had the situation some time ago where someone was complaining *not in the polite or shy way outlined!* about me doing just this thing in communal space, and the "disgusting stench" thereby created. I suggested that I found it a lot more pleasant than the disgusting personal stench he insisted on creating in said space with his own revolting habits, and if he was going to insist on his right to continue stinking there, because it didn't bother HIM, I was certainly intending to continue purifying the space to make it more bearable for myself. Heh. ;)

4) Probably think "Oh, pity, that doesn't apply to me!".

5) If I'd got as far as the checkout I'd either buy it or (if I really really didn't want another) say to checkout person "Oh, sorry, I don't need this one" and give it to them to put aside until someone can take back. If the place where the item belonged was close by I'd probably just take it back myself, depending on how busy supermarket was and how many items were being bought.

6) Depends. Probably pick up, but if it was one of those places that was filthy already I wouldn't want extra floor germs to go with the ones already on my shoes...