• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is anonymity an excuse to be an a$$hole?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Agreed Whatever...

The world could use more balls.

come%20at%20me%20bro.jpg

G

Ginkgo

The pain of others is everywhere. Tell me. What do YOU do regarding world poverty? You don't dislike it. You ignore it like everybody else does.

You are an expert at mental gymnastics!

you_win_the_prize.jpg

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm always disappointed when people act badly because I always expect the best from them... I feel this is a character flaw in a way :unsure:

I always hope for the best, but try and be prepared for the worst. Anyway, I'm not really surprised when it happens, just dissappointed and cannot understand why they act the way they do. They know how it makes them feel to be mistreated but they do it anyway. It's like some kind of default setting.

It's not your character flaw, if that's your meaning. It's why you're so awesome. :hug:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you say rationality, I say where have you hidden your balls... really man, I have bigger balls than you do and I don't have any :thelook:
Look. I just want fun without resorting to violence. Besides, Insults should be distinctly separate from physical harm. The negative opinions of others should be taken independently. They should not matter.

I don't think there's any way to explain it to make him understand. But he's kind of funny though. :laugh:
:D

Let's take this in a different direction then. Craft, tell us about your personal life... It'll help whatever and I in constructing our profile.
I find this quite irrelevant and most pertinent only if we are on a subjective discussion. The question, at hand, is about the morality of my actions. Those that are hurt are only hurt because they let themselves be hurt. (not in a physical sense of course...)

Although my opinion about our own control our psychology may be misled. Perhaps external abstractions damage ourselves and we have no power over it(unless well trained that is).

to pin on the wall and throw darts at? :holy:

:D

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I find this quite irrelevant and most pertinent only if we are on a subjective discussion. The question, at hand, is about the morality of my actions. Those that are hurt are only hurt because they let themselves be hurt.

I hope you have the emotional capacity to realize how frightening the blase` disinterest with which you wrote these sentences is.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hope you have the emotional capacity to realize how frightening the blase` disinterest with which you wrote these sentences is.

yes...I was trying to justify my actions by the idealism of independence, but I'm starting to think that most people don't have the same impressive mental control as I do. Some may even collapse with a simple "you are an idiot." But this further justifies growth. Reaction should be converted into Proaction. Is this conversion obtained through experience? If it is, then the more I should continue my very helpful behavior.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
You can't use independence (freedom really) to justify actions that deprive others of their natural right not to be bothered in a polite internet community by your callous lack of consideration.

H

Hate

yes...I was trying to justify my actions by the idealism of independence, but I'm starting to think that most people don't have the same impressive mental control as I do. Some may even collapse with a simple "you are an idiot." But this further justifies growth. Reaction should be converted into Proaction. Is this conversion obtained through experience? If it is, then the more I should continue my very helpful behavior.

If conversion is obtained through experience then why are you afraid to act in real life the way you do online?

Why are you afraid of dirty looks? Why are you afraid of getting punched? <-your words...

Sounds like you live in fear. Do you have any actual experience other than online?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can't use independence (freedom really) to justify actions that deprive others of their natural right not to be bothered in a polite internet community by your callous lack of consideration.

"right not to be bothered", you say? But what determines being bothered? For example, I may not be bothered by sudden loud music but another may be bothered by a simple whistle. Or is there a common "wall" for what defines "being bothered"? Is a "you are an idiot" a breach of this threshold? And what about taking the entire lifetime into the equation? In the long run, what would someone else's certain negative words mean to another person?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If conversion is obtained through experience then why are you afraid to act in real life the way you do online?

Why are you afraid of dirty looks? Why are you afraid of getting punched? <-your words...

Sounds like you live in fear. Do you have any actual experience other than online?

I accept fear of physical pain because it is rational in my opinion. I don't like physical pain. Or are you saying that physical pain is nothing?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
At this point Craft, my words fall as pearls before swine.

The only reason I've put this much effort into arguing, is that A) Whatev started this MoFo so I wanted to bump it and give her a shout out, and B) my conscience wouldn't let me leave until I at least tried.

Peace in the Middle East.

H

Hate

I accept fear of physical pain because it is rational in my opinion. I don't like physical pain. Or are you saying that physical pain is nothing?

No, I just don't fear it. I guess that's where we differ.

I'll re-phrase my question then. If you claim you would like to foster conversion in others through your helpful behavior, then why don't you apply your helpful teaching methods to others in real life?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I talk to people all day long.... lots and lots of random people... on top of that I have a rather large extended family. Despite all of these interactions though, I have NEVER run across as many people who are as contrary, disagreeable and likely to pass judgement on others for really dumb reasons as I manage to on this forum :rolli:

WTF?! It's supposed to be an excuse to UNDERSTAND people who are different than you are- tools to actually appreciate differences between people and yet I haven't run across a day when someone isn't complaining about somebody else because they're different in some way (oftentimes it's over some silly letter that wouldn't matter in day to day interaction with people, but is a good excuse to think that someone's dumb, overly sensitive, or a total prick on here). What the hell is wrong with everyone? Is the anonymity of the internet a good excuse just to let your inner bitch run free? :huh:

Well actually the reason you would happen upon a lot more fools without merit is that in real time pretense and insincerity are as strong as on line. The truest reflection of the mind state happens in writing where the subversive nature of the physical state is deflected and amplified in the amount of insecurity, fear and control a person has pent up and explored fullest during a virtual expedition such as this, more. What you do find is that attitudes and expressions of the kind that you find in the virtual and in the physical parallel each other somewhat and the projection is always, always a twisted value and precept out of reaction from what goes on in peoples lives, indeed what doesn't go on in peoples lives. I see it a mile away, usually the tone of people is established the first paragraph they speak in how their behaviour will play out over the course of their expression.

Its interesting, how positive and negative energies are emergent, and the key word is reactivity.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I just don't fear it. I guess that's where we differ.

I'll re-phrase my question then. If you claim you would like to foster conversion in others through your helpful behavior, then why don't you apply your helpful teaching methods to others in real life?

Because there is great risk for physical pain. I do help rarely by "abusing" non-violent people. I call the unqualified "unqualified". The foul foul. the fat "fertile". (And yet, I continue to doubt the effectiveness of my conditioning.) But this isn't the case here. My activity is not focus on helping. I was simply entertaining the argument that "I am damaging".

H

Hate

But this isn't the case here. My activity is not focus on helping. I was simply entertaining the argument that "I am damaging".

Yes, I know that's what you were doing. I was being sarcastic with my question. That's why I put those key words in italics.

Because there is great risk for physical pain.

I already knew this was going to be your answer, but I had to ask it so that I could confirm whatever's hypothesis.

the point is, if you can't take the repercussions in real life and then do it online where you "feel safe", you're a total pussy :)

Hypothesis confirmed

Good day, sir.

*exits thread*

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hypothesis confirmed

Good day, sir.

*exits thread*

*grabs hand*

It's not a matter of not being able to take repercussions; it's preferring not to.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is anonymity an excuse to be an a$$hole?

I have thought about this and the answer is no. People have told me things like they are just being a jerk on the Internet where is doesn't really matter. I don't agree.