• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is anonymity an excuse to be an a$$hole?

Jaguar

I've also seen cases on the Internet of people encouraging or bullying people to commit suicide, etc.

You actually saw people doing that? Jesus, what kind of forums do you frequent?
I have never seen anything like that in all the years I have been online. That is horrible.

G

Glycerine

Jag, there have been legal cases where a person committed under the pretense that the other person is going to commit suicide also. This is from March 2010:

If I act like an asshole, i am usually venting.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have never seen anything like that in all the years I have been online. That is horrible.

I've not witnessed it first hand but I am aware of cases where it has happened because of reports on the Internet, and news programs on television.

Actually seeing it first hand would be seriously traumatic, even for a person simply viewing it.

G

Ginkgo

Candid, but anonymous online conversations foster a sort of courage in me where I had little.

Everyone here has witnessed the downside of online interaction. In some cases, the sewage spilled is revolting. That doesn't mean, however, that secrecy is always a threat.

It doesn't matter if you're an "open asshole" or an "in the closet asshole". Both are species of asshole as far as I'm concerned.

G

Ginkgo

... I've had people do that to me in real life.

Atomic Fiend

I still realize that the people on the Internet ARE STILL HUMAN BEINGS

You'd be surprised to know how many people don't think this way, I've met a few IRL of course, and some from this very forum. Where the person doesn't become human till they see them.

G

Ginkgo

Jag, there have been legal cases where a person committed under the pretense that the other person is going to commit suicide also. This is from March 2010:

That guy's demented.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
now I'm just wondering what the fuck is wrong with people :doh:

Atomic Fiend

now I'm just wondering what the fuck is wrong with people :doh:

It's really just best to assume the worst about every person you meet. Seriously.

Yesterday I was watching a Chris Rock special and he said something along the lines of, he'll never be surprised to see someone acting racist. You'll never catch him off guard with it, he would be completely unsurprised if one day while he was talking to Regis Feldman about Madagascar, if Regis lept from his seat with a sharpened pencil and started stabbing him in the neck calling him the n-word over and over again.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm always disappointed when people act badly because I always expect the best from them... I feel this is a character flaw in a way :unsure:

G

Ginkgo

WHAT? :steam::steam::steam:

Yeah. When I was younger, guys my age would tell me that I failed at life and that I should just end it. They were my "friends" too. I guess I just coped by passing it off as joking, even though I resented it.

@SH: I pretty much always give people the benefit of the doubt unless they're doing something I can't understand. This is because, if I were to be having a bad day and wound up acting like a douche bag, I would appreciate it if someone were to suspend judgement, if only for a day.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is the anonymity of the internet a good excuse just to let your inner bitch run free? :huh:

Yes it is. There are many types of inner bitches too:
1. The passive aggressive inner bitch.
2. The I hate different people inner bitch.
3. The I'm bored so I must troll inner bitch.
4. The I must show off my superiority inner bitch.
5. The I must show off my manlyness inner bitch.

And so on.

But the forum isn't really that anonymous, just look on youtube. There isn't one youtube page where some guy isn't arguing with some other guy saying nasty things, I find it interesting that most people argue on youtube. There's a newspaper here in Romania, and it has this website where you can post comments on the newspaper's articles, and they love arguing and saying nasty shit to each other ALL the time.

I used go on that newspaper's website and tell them to go fuck themselves, because they write a ton of stupid shit, propaganda, and some people actually believe it.

80% of the comments contains swearing which is hillarious.
And that's pretty much all over the internet.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP

What? 5 people killed themselves??!! And all the evidence was there on the computers.......:shock:

What kind of sick demented guy convinces people to kill themselves knowing that it will not be long till he will get arrested. Who knows what fucked up family he grew up in.

Jaguar

Yeah. When I was younger, guys my age would tell me that I failed at life and that I should just end it. They were my "friends" too. I guess I just coped by passing it off as joking, even though I resented it.

You don't have negative people around you now, do you?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if you do I'll beat them up for you! :cheese:

and nice to know I'm not the only incurable optimist about humanity :blush:

wolfy

awsm
It is interesting how people seem to be more antagonistic on forums. Some of it is people are drawn to negativity and so a single comment draws a crowd. That is why trolling is a problem on a forum but not so much real life. There is no physical space between people to control on a forum. Also, some people don't have effective filters from their brains to their mouths.

Some people mistake it for strength when the real strength in this kind of environment is to be strong in what you want to say and considerate. Any clown can be a badass on the net.

Atomic Fiend

Yes, Elementary through Middle School was fun for me too.

@SH: I pretty much always give people the benefit of the doubt unless they're doing something I can't understand. This is because, if I were to be having a bad day and wound up acting like a douche bag, I would appreciate it if someone were to suspend judgment, if only for a day.
See I assume the worst in preparation for that inevitable day.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*sigh* that means there's even MORE asses I need to kick... :sadbanana: