User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFP

is anonymity an excuse to be an a$$hole?-215499488_8pszr-2-jpg

Clowns count too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ginkgo

Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory: G.I.F.T.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

To be honest, this forum seems really peaceful when compared to most others I partecipate. Anyway, yes, I personally have run into quite disagreeable people in real life, however tone of voice is a component of communication which is lost through the internet medium, so anything disagreeable is likely perceived as colder than how it would in real life.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    now I'm just wondering what the fuck is wrong with people
    Picture Medieval Europe. Okay. PEOPLE ARE STILL LIKE THAT.

Let it sink in.

It's kind of refreshiing to read fiction from the 20's and 30's because you see just how much people are just like they are now.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Look. I just want fun without resorting to violence. Besides, Insults should be distinctly separate from physical harm. The negative opinions of others should be taken independently. They should not matter.

I find this quite irrelevant and most pertinent only if we are on a subjective discussion. The question, at hand, is about the morality of my actions. Those that are hurt are only hurt because they let themselves be hurt. (not in a physical sense of course...)

Although my opinion about our own control our psychology may be misled. Perhaps external abstractions damage ourselves and we have no power over it(unless well trained that is).

You don't have any IRL friends, do you?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    yes...I was trying to justify my actions by the idealism of independence, but I'm starting to think that most people don't have the same impressive mental control as I do. Some may even collapse with a simple "you are an idiot." But this further justifies growth. Reaction should be converted into Proaction. Is this conversion obtained through experience? If it is, then the more I should continue my very helpful behavior.
    First off, condescending. Impressive mental control. :rolli: Although I do like you for your upfrontness. However your thoughts have a few holes. Based on

I have never liked getting punched in the face, nor have I liked being looked at with nasty looks.
    and other similar statements you dislike pain.

Now if you were being honest, you seem to have a strong mental control for emotional reactions, but weak for physical. You can control your reactions to physical pain by developing cognitive responses to ignore pain. So since you have a pain tolerance that could be raised, why aren't you risking physical pain by your philosophy? It would only help
    growth. Reaction should be converted into Proaction. Is this conversion obtained through experience? If it is, then the more I should continue my very helpful behavior.
    I'm sure if you start saying things to violent people and yet for some odd reason they refuse to help with your growth of pain tolerance, whatever would be glad to help you. Then you would be impervious to pain and could get away with much more than you can now, right?

As for your thought that you are helping people by hurting them; in general you're not. With repeated doses of pain, sensitization occurs, where although adaptive cognitive thinking does occur (your mental control), there is also increased reaction to lesser stimuli in order to act more effective. More reactionary, not less.

Because there is great risk for physical pain. I do help rarely by "abusing" non-violent people. I call the unqualified "unqualified". The foul foul. the fat "fertile".
    There is a difference between truthfulness and being an asshole. Although tact is probably a useful idea, even for the 'non-violent' people. (Never doubt the ability for someone to pent up vengeance and then do something about it.)

The pain of others is everywhere. Tell me. What do YOU do regarding world poverty? You don't dislike it. You ignore it like everybody else does.
    Wrong. Some of us do a) care b) try to do something about it. Now, I will be truthful and say I could do more, but there is a line between helping others and helping oneself that one has to decide for themselves. Not an easy line.

My apologies, Craft, if I was too harsh, although considering your stance, I believe, I have done nothing you would take seriously.

FDG, I agree that without body language or tone, it can be harder to read people's intent when they post.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Er, I seldom see trolls here. The individuals on this forum are abnormally polite. Also, people here aren't anonymous. You have a userhandle and are identified by what you post and/or your post count.

Then again, I spend a lot of time on 4chan. No more talking about it or I'll be breaking rules #1 and 2.

My close friends also say that I tend to be more of a troll IRL, partially because some people don't know when I'm joking, and partially because of the lulz of people's reactions. They also say that I only tend to troll people whom I like or am closer to for amusement. So there goes the "normal person + anonymity" theory.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You don't have any IRL friends, do you?
    Surprisingly enough, you don't have to be nice to have friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    First off, condescending. Impressive mental control. :rolli: Although I do like you for your upfrontness.
    I know. I wub myself!

However your thoughts have a few holes.

Based on

and other similar statements you dislike pain.

Now if you were being honest, you seem to have a strong mental control for emotional reactions, but weak for physical. You can control your reactions to physical pain by developing cognitive responses to ignore pain. So since you have a pain tolerance that could be raised, why aren't you risking physical pain by your philosophy? It would only help I'm sure if you start saying things to violent people and yet for some odd reason they refuse to help with your growth of pain tolerance, whatever would be glad to help you. Then you would be impervious to pain and could get away with much more than you can now, right?
    I doubt I'll turn to masochism :rolli: so its more efficient to avoid pain. I feel that the path towards physical tolerance is too cumbersome.

As for your thought that you are helping people by hurting them; in general you're not. With repeated doses of pain, sensitization occurs, where although adaptive cognitive thinking does occur (your mental control), there is also increased reaction to lesser stimuli in order to act more effective. More reactionary, not less.
    News to me. Sensitization can be a process of adaptation? Make sense. Still, I doubt the degree of my 'efforts' is enough to form sensitization. On second thought, maybe it is enough.

I guess I was wrong. So what methods are efficient in lessening reaction? (on general population.)

There is a difference between truthfulness and being an asshole. Although tact is probably a useful idea, even for the 'non-violent' people. (Never doubt the ability for someone to pent up vengeance and then do something about it.)
    Tact is "useful"...? In what way?

I have experience vengeance, mainly in the internet. It's not really as painful as being kicked in the balls.

Wrong. Some of us do a) care b) try to do something about it. Now, I will be truthful and say I could do more, but there is a line between helping others and helping oneself that one has to decide for themselves. Not an easy line.
    I still think most, if not all, have their "lines" extremely disproportional by virtue of care. Eat Luxury cuisine for yourself and then give a nickel to malnourished dying kid. How much "care" is invested in that scenario as oppose to telling someone to "go away'"?

My apologies, Craft, if I was too harsh, although considering your stance, I believe, I have done nothing you would take seriously.
    Apologies accepted, underling.

I think Craft is right, at least partly.

The reason so many people say things online that they wouldn't say in real life is in fact because there is no one to bust them in the mouth for it. It's like yelling insults out a window at someone...it's easy to be a tough guy when no one can get at you.

The difference with Craft is that he thinks the ass-kicking is a non-sequitur and also unwarranted. I think most people would agree that this is not the case. I think a lot of trolls deserve the justice of a black eye.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

This forum is actually very tame and lovable compared to some of the posters over at INTJf. I have seen a few long term trolls here, who rather than overtly attack others, persist in subtle long terms attacks against others with the goal of intellectual demoralization. It saddens me as the more ideas presented and debated about a given topic, the better understanding each of us gains about the topic. To poke at someone until they stop sharing their ideas is pathetic and weak in my mind and highlights the lack of ideas on the part of the attacker. To attack a person, rather than critique their ideas is a sign that the attacker has nothing better to put forth.

I would not have an issue in the world sitting down and having the convos I have here with folks in real life. I actually often do so with my ENTP best friend. Occasionally those IRL convos have been as heated as some of the threads here get-there is passion and intensity in some of these convos, not because people are trying to hurt one another, but because these topics are very close to home and challenge our understanding of our perception of the world. To be confronted with something which forces us to rethink our present notions of the world isnt easy and will result in some angst. Angst equals growth.

There is also some amount of buy-in here. If a person chooses to interact in a thread, they choose to face that angst and tension. I know I have taken it too personally at times, and I see others do it all the time. It is a good idea to understand that the tension and angst isnt trolling as much as a breeding ground for new ideas and new interpretations to be born. How each of us chooses to interact in the discussions will also be determined by our interaction styles-thus will automatically be taken the wrong way by someone, given the lack on nonverbal communication to accompany the written text.