User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Is the anonymity of the internet a good excuse just to let your inner bitch run free?
    Not necessarily a good excuse but if it helps people get rid of some anger/frustration then it could be seen as a positive step forward.

Personally though, on the 3 occasions (on here) i have let my inner bitch run riot, i've felt terrible for it.

Hate

it's the people who GENUINELY beleive that they are better just because of a letter that really confuse me... that's just so incredibly STUPID
    Indeed, it's ridiculous. The saddest part is when they genuinely believe it. I think what they fail to realize most is that it has nothing to do with letters and more to do with ignorance/arrogance.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

*looks in SH's window*

*closes blinds*

To clarify that wouldn't mean I would be an asshole because I was anonymous, just that, yes many people will act more like assholes if they knew it was basically consequence free.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    yes many people will act more like assholes if they knew it was basically consequence free.
    Which is why some people feel so justified in treating you like shit IRL if they're an old-school Christian (they feel like they have the support of God and the community behind them) or why people act like such jackasses to employees in big corporate stores in the U.S. (the customer is always right.)

When many people feel there are no real consequences for bad behavior, they'll act however they please.

Is this human nature, or is this just "some people"? That's the real question.

ThatGirl

Only if you are an in the closet asshole.

Since most people IRL seek to avoid confrontation for a number of reasons, or are passive aggressive, you probably get a clearer view into the real insights of others on a forum. Which, despite what we would like to believe, isn't always sunshine and puppies.

Take this for instance, if someone gets snippy at me IRL, I am more likely to give them a dirty look and ignore them, since I HATE causing a public scene if unnecessary. Public bickering is trashy and makes everyone involved look retarded regardless of who started it. Here I am more likely to confront the comment, or make fun of it, if I am really in a mood, duke it out.

Other than that, the blunt things that I say happen here or irl, so in that case, no the forum doesn't change anything.

I talk to people all day long.... lots and lots of random people... on top of that I have a rather large extended family. Despite all of these interactions though, I have NEVER run across as many people who are as contrary, disagreeable and likely to pass judgement on others for really dumb reasons as I manage to on this forum :rolli:

WTF?! Is the anonymity of the internet a good excuse just to let your inner bitch run free?
    I think it stinks that many take out their RL problems on people in this forum. This is a place where some people can dump their rubbish on others without suffering the consequences as they would IRL. On the other hand, I think anonymity can help some shy people to express themselves in a positive manner who wouldn't otherwise take that step.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah... it just kind of irks me that people will say things here that they'd NEVER say to my face in real life- usually in the process, displaying a remarkable amount of ignorance. Idiots irk me- and I say that all of the time in real life

(this was my 14,000th post?!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Alex and I have discussed this topic many times.
    I can't reveal what we said.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've seen people on-line who justify really, really obnoxious behavior by saying things like "well you can always walk away from your computer" even if you've asked them to do something like stop messaging you or stop writing on your wall...it's almost like they're admitting their behavior is bad, but it should be excused because you can turn your computer off. Thing is...if I have to turn off my computer because someone is harrassing me after I asked them to stop and they won't, and not simply because I chose to do so, isn't that still harrassment?

I've also seen cases on the Internet of people encouraging or bullying people to commit suicide, etc.

There's really, really awful shit that goes on on-line. But as I mentioned I think those people who repeatedly cross those kinds of lines with an aloof attitude of "so what?" probably aren't very nice people IRL, either

I might confront people or be more honest or even make nastier jokes on-line than I regularly do in my every day life, but I still realize that the people on the Internet ARE STILL HUMAN BEINGS and if they really are upset by me, like they're crying or something, I'm definitely not going to keep hurting them. That's just cruel, whether it's on-line or not, I don't like to make people cry, and in truth don't want to torment anyone. I just figure that strangers are more likely to ignore catty comments than people who actually care about me.

Plus, when I feel like I've been too mean recently, I try to balance it out with being more serious and kind. I can only go so far with my honesty and joking even on-line before I stop and think that I don't want to cross a line into actually hurting people.

Some people just don't have that line, and I think if they don't have it here, they don't have it anywhere.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Most of the assholes on here wouldn't be that dumb to someone's face though... that's kind of my point- when normally wandering around society people realize that saying some shit is a bad idea and there could be consequences (i.e. me kicking them in the nuts) if they say certain things... I'm nice to people because I like to be nice, other people are nice because they don't want thier asses kicked... some people need that sort of reminder or threat. Here the only consequence is to be banned- and being an idiot doesn't always get people banned
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett