• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is anonymity an excuse to be an a$$hole?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because we are individuals. In social psychology, psychologists study how the situation affects the individual and their responses. Having said that no studies show a reaction to a situation that is one hundred percent universal to all individuals. Individual personalities and past experiences do affect the situation.

Reaction towards survival is not a universal reaction? Increase of heart-rate is not a universal reaction?

So collective opinion is considered to be an accurate basis of measurement? I thought that was Ad populum fallacy. I do understand your point. If the behavior is truly anonymous, then why can it affect people? Some people fear anonymous disapproval more than other forms. :shrug: More likely, the situation surrounding that person is not healthy, e.g., a person suffering already from taunts and beatings at school creating low self-esteem may be easily crushed by what others would think of as mere shallow expressions of anonymous hate.
I resorted to popular opinion because of the ease of utility of generalization.Though, in essence, the only thing I feel certain about is the idea that we can effectively measure pain in some way. Perhaps by looking at biological reactions?

The idea that "expressions of anonymous hate" may be relative but if we included the scenario of "a person suffering already from taunts and beatings" to act as reason behind type of reaction, then we could garner quantification.

I did not mean to imply cooperation, simply respect. There is a large difference from disagreeing with others viewpoints and finding out someone's wife died, then 'poking fun' of that situation. This needless pain serves no practical purpose. Even if one gets joy out of the situation it starts to desensitize oneself to the plight of others including those who one knows offline.
So there is universal value in "respect"?

You need an excuse to be an asshole? I wasn't aware.

You need a reason to be an ass, but you may also want to persuade others to accept your own ethics.

"Excuse" here is used to imply involvement in social dynamics.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
So.... I was thinking.... Maybe some people go to forums and turn into assholes because it's the only way they get recognized.... God knows there are a few forums that I got so bored with posting on because thousands of posts later I still felt like I was talking to myself... Seems like most people that are total jackasses on a forum at least get some kind of comment, even if it is just to be called a douche. :azdaja:

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
In real life I'm called an asshole. Online I'm not. Is it simply in comparison to the norm of the two areas?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Though I will say this, if you think type C is bad, baby you haven't been on enough forums. This place is like a moral paradise compared to the shit you see on the ESPN forums or something.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In real life I'm called an asshole. Online I'm not. Is it simply in comparison to the norm of the two areas?

I wonder too. Many people I know IRL will probably freak out at the sight of this one emoting any positive emotions. :newwink:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
If you're an asshole, be an asshole, so we can avoid you.

If you're a sneaky, conniving, asshole, you deserve whatever beat-down anyone can dish out.

And I would happily be first in line.

Life can be shitty enough without some manipulative, narcissistic, douche, making things worse.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So.... I was thinking.... Maybe some people go to forums and turn into assholes because it's the only way they get recognized.... God knows there are a few forums that I got so bored with posting on because thousands of posts later I still felt like I was talking to myself... Seems like most people that are total jackasses on a forum at least get some kind of comment, even if it is just to be called a douche. :azdaja:
I think you are right that there is a lot of attention seeking involved. It is usually a rather effective way to get a response.

R

Riva

Funny place a forum is. In a forum your words have life and what you say is viewed by all (rarely forgotten). Therefor you're a ROCK STAR every time you post. Because someone is bound to read what you write.