User Tag List

First 91011

Results 101 to 110 of 110

  1. #101
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    You need an excuse to be an asshole? I wasn't aware.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  2. #102
    Probably Most Brilliant Craft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Because we are individuals. In social psychology, psychologists study how the situation affects the individual and their responses. Having said that no studies show a reaction to a situation that is one hundred percent universal to all individuals. Individual personalities and past experiences do affect the situation.
    Reaction towards survival is not a universal reaction? Increase of heart-rate is not a universal reaction?

    So collective opinion is considered to be an accurate basis of measurement? I thought that was Ad populum fallacy. I do understand your point. If the behavior is truly anonymous, then why can it affect people? Some people fear anonymous disapproval more than other forms. More likely, the situation surrounding that person is not healthy, e.g., a person suffering already from taunts and beatings at school creating low self-esteem may be easily crushed by what others would think of as mere shallow expressions of anonymous hate.
    I resorted to popular opinion because of the ease of utility of generalization.Though, in essence, the only thing I feel certain about is the idea that we can effectively measure pain in some way. Perhaps by looking at biological reactions?

    The idea that "expressions of anonymous hate" may be relative but if we included the scenario of "a person suffering already from taunts and beatings" to act as reason behind type of reaction, then we could garner quantification.

    I did not mean to imply cooperation, simply respect. There is a large difference from disagreeing with others viewpoints and finding out someone's wife died, then 'poking fun' of that situation. This needless pain serves no practical purpose. Even if one gets joy out of the situation it starts to desensitize oneself to the plight of others including those who one knows offline.
    So there is universal value in "respect"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    You need an excuse to be an asshole? I wasn't aware.
    You need a reason to be an ass, but you may also want to persuade others to accept your own ethics.

    "Excuse" here is used to imply involvement in social dynamics.

  3. #103
    Senior Member Chaotic Harmony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    So.... I was thinking.... Maybe some people go to forums and turn into assholes because it's the only way they get recognized.... God knows there are a few forums that I got so bored with posting on because thousands of posts later I still felt like I was talking to myself... Seems like most people that are total jackasses on a forum at least get some kind of comment, even if it is just to be called a douche.

  4. #104
    Senior Member BlueGray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    474

    Default

    In real life I'm called an asshole. Online I'm not. Is it simply in comparison to the norm of the two areas?
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

  5. #105
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Yeah, it's pretty bad. Though I will say this, if you think type C is bad, baby you haven't been on enough forums. This place is like a moral paradise compared to the shit you see on the ESPN forums or something.
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  6. #106
    Hate
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    You need an excuse to be an asshole? I wasn't aware.
    Only the pussy ones do.
    You're an asshole all the time so it's different, I can respect that.

  7. #107
    Senior Member copperfish17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    In real life I'm called an asshole. Online I'm not. Is it simply in comparison to the norm of the two areas?
    I wonder too. Many people I know IRL will probably freak out at the sight of this one emoting any positive emotions.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

  8. #108
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    If you're an asshole, be an asshole, so we can avoid you.

    If you're a sneaky, conniving, asshole, you deserve whatever beat-down anyone can dish out.

    And I would happily be first in line.

    Life can be shitty enough without some manipulative, narcissistic, douche, making things worse.

  9. #109
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    So.... I was thinking.... Maybe some people go to forums and turn into assholes because it's the only way they get recognized.... God knows there are a few forums that I got so bored with posting on because thousands of posts later I still felt like I was talking to myself... Seems like most people that are total jackasses on a forum at least get some kind of comment, even if it is just to be called a douche.
    I think you are right that there is a lot of attention seeking involved. It is usually a rather effective way to get a response.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  10. #110
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Funny place a forum is. In a forum your words have life and what you say is viewed by all (rarely forgotten). Therefor you're a ROCK STAR every time you post. Because someone is bound to read what you write.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM
  2. your mental illness is NOT an excuse to be an asshole
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
  3. Which Type is the Most Likely to be a Troll?
    By Ginkgo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 12-19-2015, 05:24 PM
  4. [Inst] What is it really like to be Social-last?
    By Cloud of Thunder in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 12:11 AM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO