123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Most people think they're above average

I was listening to the audiobook "The Invisible Gorilla and Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us" and there was a chapter about how people tend to overestimate their abilities.

About 2/3rds thought of themselves as above average in intelligence.

The majority thought of themselves as more attractive and having a better sense of humor than average.

There was even a study of chess players, and the vast majority thought their chess rating underestimated their true ability by about 100 points.

So these examples suggest that we like to think of ourselves as above average, yet by definition, half the people are below average!

There were people who underestimated their abilities as well, but they were definitely in minority. (only about 4% of chess players in the study).

So I'm wondering if there is a type who is less likely to fall into this trap of not being able to accurately assess one's true abilities?

Are some types more able to realistically assess their abilities?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

i used to be hard on myself. i used to think of myself as unintelligent, unattractive, and i'm not a very good chess player. (though i still like to play.)

but, as time when on and my confidence went up... so did my confidence in my intelligence, attractiveness, and personality.

i suppose thinker types are less prone to being self conscious or self depricating than feeler types. though it doesn't mean it's impossible. feeler types are more likely to be hard on themselves and consider themselves unintelligent, unattractive, and etc.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So is this world wide or just in the United States?

Because I remember seeing this hilarious trailer for a documentary about American schools where American students fall below other 1st world developed countries in everything except...self-esteem.

That can't be good.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post

Because I remember seeing this hilarious trailer for a documentary about American schools where American students fall below other 1st world developed countries in everything except...self-esteem.

That can't be good.
    That makes sense. Oftentimes, ignorance and confidence go hand in hand.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post

That can't be good.
    Haha, I saw that one. It reminded me of that Idiocracy movie I saw a few years ago...but apparently a lot of things remind me of that movie.

I think a balance of self-confidence and intelligence is best, or just at least a realistic view of one's own abilities.

I know that I'm not the best at everything. I know what I'm good at (mostly because of peers' assurance of what I'm good at) and I know what I need to work on, and I know what I will, for the most part, generally will lack. I always seek to improve in all aspects, though, even those that are my best qualities. There's always room for improvement.

EDIT: I drove past a local bar that had a sign on the outside saying 'Half of the world's population is below average'.

Average isn't measured by median, sillyz!

MBTI
    XXFP

Keep in mind, that if 2/3 (~66%) rank themselves higher than average (50%) than a majority of those who think they are above average are accurate in their assessment, minus the smaller population of under-estimators. The group that is of concern is that 16% who are overestimating themselves. Most people, 84% (minus the under-estimators) in this example, do just fine with their self-categorization.

So while your title, "Most people think they are above average" is correct, it's misleading to say that most people have a problem with estimating if they are above or below average.

The real headline is "Small but sizable group of jack-wagons need to get over themselves already."
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Of course, that could be totally wrong.

It could be all mixed up and people categorize themselves backward, but I just wanted to use the word "jack-wagon."

As a hypothetical, 49% could underestimate, 50% overestimate (a total flip flop in that case), and 1% accurately categorize. But that seems unlikely.

It is possible that 50% really do overestimate (that is, "most"), but that also seems unlikely. 50% overestimation is the limit, you can't have 51% overestimation because 1% of those would have to be higher than the other 50.

In any case, the above post and the figures in it are only hypothetical and there are many configurations of the percentages of under, over, and accurate perceptions within limits.

However, I would still hypothesize that a vast majority of people accurately categorize and a minority do not in many examples.

So to the question:
    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    So I'm wondering if there is a type who is less likely to fall into this trap of not being able to accurately assess one's true abilities?

Are some types more able to realistically assess their abilities?
    An overwhelming majority (by my guess) can accurately assess their placement above or below 50%. I'd be more concerned about who cannot.

And you're probably unlikely to find that in MBTI, in any case. Whatever the profile is of the exaggerators, look out for that.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    So these examples suggest that we like to think of ourselves as above average, yet by definition, half the people are below average!
    This is true only when the data follows a pattern called a normal distribution curve; the average is approximately equal to the median and the mode. Probably a moot point, as much data does follow such a curve, but it would be unwise to assume it. Otherwise it's the median that is 50% below or above.

Regardless, our ego lies to us to keep us healthy. The types least likely to fall for this fallacy, would be the types most likely to have a low self-esteem.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Keep in mind, that if 2/3 (~66%) rank themselves higher than average (50%) than a majority of those who think they are above average are accurate in their assessment, minus the smaller population of under-estimators. The group that is of concern is that 16% who are overestimating themselves. Most people, 84% (minus the under-estimators) in this example, do just fine with their self-categorization.

So while your title, "Most people think they are above average" is correct, it's misleading to say that most people have a problem with estimating if they are above or below average.

The real headline is "Small but sizable group of jack-wagons need to get over themselves already."
    Let's also consider how it's implied that the underlying phenomena follows a symmetrical distribution. While it may be true for IQ, given that tests are created in a way which constract a bell curve, it's not universally true.

In many occasions it might very well be true that 66% of a given population is "above arithmetic average": if a distribution has really fat left-tails, then the arithmetic average will be much lower than the median.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I was wondering how "average" was being defined also....

And I am awful at chess....really bad. The computer beats me every time - dammit! But, I still might be smarter than the average bear
    I read somewhere (and god knows where) that one of the hardest things a person can accept is that they are not good-looking; some never come to accept it as reality. Lots will claim it, out of low self-esteem, but not out of a true acceptance. I think in their head lurks an image of a better looking person...

I think "average" is probably the larger concept harder to accept, though, and the hardest concept is being "below average". I think if people don't overestimate, they may prefer not to estimate at all. I know I am done with estimating my looks; no more comparison to others. I look good or bad in context of myself only (ie. I look good...for me) .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe