First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Off topic but what was your former name?
    I had a former name? I didn't know that.
    When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
    - Bernard Bailey
    It is bad luck to be superstitious.
    - Andrew W. Mathis

sp/sx/so

Glycerine

Nevermind then. I thought that you might have a former name on here because I have never seen you around and you have been around for over a year...oops.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTj

yeah, i've been busy screwing things up, so i haven't had time to be on here in a few months.
    When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
    - Bernard Bailey
    It is bad luck to be superstitious.
    - Andrew W. Mathis

sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Just realized something... It's not that the chess player overestimated his own ability. It's that he mistakenly considers his opponents that he regularly beats as average when they are really below average.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    When comparing themselves to the average, people tend to look at the local average instead of the global one since most of the time it won't apply. I'm of average height where I live, but in the NBA I'd be shorter than most if not all point guards!
    This is very, very true. I think back in my small town in WV I could easily say I have above average intelligence, but faced with the rest of the world, I don't see myself that way anymore, I see myself as definitely being more average.

I'm surprised that the invention of the Internet hasn't managed to keep people more humble because it widens our view of just how many people exist in the world who aren't that much different than we are, or are doing better in terms of education/intelligence/appearance/wealth.

Then again, you could just look at all of the idiots who comment on YouTube and think to yourself you were waaaay above average.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I've found that, combined with determination, I don't really need to think about how intelligent I am. However, without determination, I would say I'm pretty relaxed - thus, think of myself slightly more intelligent than I really am.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I disagree. I think it just creates a cultural disease of narcissism and entitlement.
    Yeah, when thinking about society, yes, it is harmful to have these people thinking so highly of themselves. But I said that I think it serves these people well. When you look at it from their perspective, there is nothing that would make them as successful as they are if they didn't have the narcism. So, I wasn't actually saying anything about the desirability of this phenomenon on the societys scale in my original post.

Personally, the fact that there are so many people overestimating their talent makes my success less likely, since I rarely use so big words, nor appear overconfident. But, that's just the way it is... I've given up on changing the world. If the people hiring these people want to take them in instead of the less confident but more talented person, then that is the way it works. Maybe the confident person will do all right in the position... probably not the best for the job, though...

But no, I don't think that it's good to have a culture of narcism like that. The people appearing most confident will get all the top positions, and there is a funny thing about confidence, that it is always about deceiving yourself, since who can assess their talent properly? And I happen to believe that the more you are able to deceive yourself, the more sick you are in other ways too. So, we are giving the top positions to sick people. What the hell do we think will come out of it?

How far must people put themselves out to be good or bad for the societal whole? What is good or bad? These are subjective terms and looking at some of the responses, source from self-interest. Can't people see themselves clearly? The vast majority of human beings are driven by self-interest.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    How far must people put themselves out to be good or bad for the societal whole? What is good or bad? These are subjective terms and looking at some of the responses, source from self-interest. Can't people see themselves clearly? The vast majority of human beings are driven by self-interest.
    Yeah. This is why I've given up changing the world. I see it is my personal view that overconfidence is not good on the top positions, but I'm sure there are other takes on this issue. And even if we all agreed on this, the issue would be how do you measure excessive confidence...

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah. This is why I've given up changing the world. I see it is my personal view that overconfidence is not good on the top positions, but I'm sure there are other takes on this issue. And even if we all agreed on this, the issue would be how do you measure excessive confidence...
    IMO, that's a good opinion to have in that everything is debatable based on perception.

Three questions people have to ask themselves are:
    1. What ethics have I learned by rote and if that's the case, what do these ethics really mean?
    2. Do I live by my ethics 100% of the time?
    3. Do I benefit from any of these ethics?

In doing so, it might shake up personal ethical frameworks.