User Tag List

First 8910

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    yet by definition, half the people are below average!
    I'm sure many have pointed it out already, but:

The vast majority of humans have an above average number of legs.

Median, mode, mean, blah blah.

Intelligence is such a vague, undefined word, that people often cherry pick whichever definition they happen to prefer. That form is usually the one they are most skilled at. Not necessarily having a large impact on the stats, but it plays its part.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Yes. The clinically depressed. Their self-perceptions are more balanced, they assign responsibility for success and failure more even-handedly, and their predictions for the future are more realistic. (Taylor & Brown, 1988 ‘Illusion and well-being: a social psychological perspective on mental health’, Psychology Bulletin). See also: Depressive Realism.

There is some evidence that P types (or those who tend not to come to decisions quickly) are also more in touch with reality. (Gollwitzer & Kinner, 1989, ‘Effects of deliberative and implemental mind-sets on illusion of control’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology)

The fact that realism and depression are linked, points to the benefits of these positive delusions that all non-depressed individuals have to a greater or lesser extent. This is something that depressed people have long suspected - that it's actually everyone else that's crazy. But it turns out that being crazy can keep you sane.
    According to Terror Management Theorist Tom Pyszczynski (you'd have to be a psychologist with that name), such delusions provide a "protective shield designed to control the potential for terror that results from awareness of the horrifying possibility that we humans are merely transient animals groping to survive in a meaningless universe, destined only to die and decay."
    So that's nice.
    Hey, thanks, Salome, interesting info.

I would add, though, that this "horrifying fact that we are animals and will die after a meaningless life" is not a neutral statement at all. It is highly negative view of the facts. You can think of the same facts that it is incredible that we get to live a life of an animal, and if life was not meaningless, it would not be free, and if we wouldn't be subject to decay, nothing would ever change at all, so it is about the same as if time didn't exist. So, I say that you don't need any shield against the statement because the statement is relative.

Of course, there are people who do shield them against those facts even if they could just reinterpret the facts, but I am kinda looking for a view here that doesn't deny the world as it is, but is not depressed or delusional either. I don't know if I'm making much sense, but I'm sure there is a way...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    We should be careful with the depressive realism thing, though. Depressions certainly does bring about unrealistically and irrationally negative assessments, too.
    Quite so. It can veer towards psychosis in extreme cases.
    I think the main thing to take away from this research is that positive delusions are not a bad thing. They might even be necessary. Optimism is pretty irrational - after all, we have no sound reason to believe the sun will rise tomorrow, but we have to behave as if we did. And those of us who do (live life as cheery optimists), live around 10 yrs longer than those of us who don't. Self-fulfilling prophecy in action.

I have laughed many times now at someone or another evokes the Dunning–Kruger effect and puffs that they always knew those other idiots were over-estimating themselves, without one knowing glance of introspection. The Dunning-Kruger effect should add a dose of neurotic insecurity if you fully understand it.
    Kinda scary, eh? I swear social psychologists are some of the worst sadists. Then again, if you fully understand it, you're probably only marginally overestimating your own intelligence (instead of grossly). Always plenty of reasons to feel smug.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I would add, though, that this "horrifying fact that we are animals and will die after a meaningless life" is not a neutral statement at all. It is highly negative view of the facts.
    I think it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek - at least, that's how I read it.
    Of course, there are people who do shield them against those facts even if they could just reinterpret the facts, but I am kinda looking for a view here that doesn't deny the world as it is, but is not depressed or delusional either. I don't know if I'm making much sense, but I'm sure there is a way...
    You are a hopeless optimist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I think it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek - at least, that's how I read it.
    I didn't know psychologists do tongue-in-cheek...

You are a hopeless optimist!
    Thanks

...i guess...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Well, I believe that everyone is superior in one way or another. Some people are better looking, others are more intelligent, others are better at being kind and thoughtful. So do we all believe we are better than others at everything, or do we only believe that in the areas that we truly are better?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

There's a quote I remember I try to translate:

"Before you try to be better than me, try first to be like me."

That sums it up pretty well for me.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]