User Tag List

12 Last

Epiphany

Default Would You Drink The Kool-Aid?

I love how this kid was laughing at the cult in the beginning and still eventually succumbed to the pressure to conform.

Scare Tactics: Follow the Leader

http://stagevu.com/video/iiaulwezgrdz

The Asch Conformity Experiment

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRh5qy09nNw"]Asch Experiment[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDx5g9ql1g"]Asch Conformity[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIh4MkcfJA"]Asch Conformity[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Doubtful. I actually enjoy making people challenge their ideas for its own sake.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    Doubtful. I actually enjoy making people challenge their ideas for its own sake.
    I'll drink to that; preferably, Kool-Aid.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

No. I already hate conformity as it is, as well as those who try too hard not to conform, so they conform to their group of non-conformists.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm notoriously resistant to this kind of thing.

Although once in my life so far I've experienced something akin to a boss "gaslighting" me and pressurising me into just crashing and burning, they knew what they where doing and it was premeditated and I'm sure they believed the very best way of working with staff, the way they probably felt it was the best way of working with the public before they where promoted to management. It reinforced my venom for management per se. So manipulation and pressure are real.

I think the greatest literary insight into this was from George Orwell, 1984 is one of the most honest no BS books about the individual confronting authoritarianism, you will eventually break, everyone breaks, you will acknowledge that two plus two equals five with the right context or circumstances.

However the joke is ultimately on Big Brother and this something that most managers, authorities or overlords dont really appreciate, the sort of society which is littered with broken individuals and can only generate broken individuals will be a broken down one, in 1984 the hallmarks are a complete abscence of quality control among produce or decency between family members.

A lot of managers are content with that, they'll consider the bending of others to their will to be an achievement and a show of managerial competence, that's God damned piss poor practice but its also reflected in a lot of popular culture, philosophy, social theory and psychology and has been since the consolidation of modern capitalist economies.

It gave me a lot of cause for reflection, given that I'm serious about legitimate and illegit authorities or the exercise of authority and have thought a lot about it, its one of the pivot points of my considerations of reform, revolution, social change and what's desirable politically and socially.

MBTI
    ENFJ

What if you're really terrible at visual-spatial tests?

(the correct line is 2)

Everyone else: One, definitely.

You: Can't you morons see, it's obviously 3!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

No, I hate Kool-Aid. I don't care what you say or offer me, I will never drink Kool-Aid.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I hate Kool-Aid too. Never even liked it when I was a kid. And yes, I mean that both metaphorically and literally.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Oh yeah, I would never do that just like everyone above, it's always some other person that would do that! Remember, all the French served in the Resistance.

I like to think I wouldn't, but there's a good chance I would...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.