User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

This would exist everywhere. Even on the forums. It's interesting to see it in motion when you know someone believes in something though says otherwise or avoids opening their mouth to say anything at all. Ride the wave even though you are really standing against it and if you're not strong enough you'll become part of it. And your beliefs change.

They should try this by testing different MBTI types. You'd probably get some interesting deviations.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm confused, though. Is the person just pressured into answering differently, or is there a change in their actual perception?

Because I've seen this work, especially with colors. Let's take a cartoon character's shirt. On a certain picture, it might be debatably navy or black. I might decide it's navy. If enough other people tell me that, "oh, the shirt's supposed to be black," then soon the shirt will appear black to me, any "navy" coloring will be dismissed as lighting.

Then again, colors are much more subjective than things like length.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm confused, though. Is the person just pressured into answering differently, or is there a change in their actual perception?

Because I've seen this work, especially with colors. Let's take a cartoon character's shirt. On a certain picture, it might be debatably navy or black. I might decide it's navy. If enough other people tell me that, "oh, the shirt's supposed to be black," then soon the shirt will appear black to me, any "navy" coloring will be dismissed as lighting.

...I don't know how many people will get it.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The statement that "the individual may go along even if they don't agree" is where I am uncertain for my own reactions. My inner thinking is more resistant to the group than my external tendency to "go along". I usually use the "going along with the group" aspect to buy time to continue to analyze things internally. It avoids creating any sort of outside disturbance that could distract my thinking.

In watching the experiment, I am conscious of times I have done the very thing. I was recently in a meeting where I disagreed with a lot of what was being said, but protested only about as much as the first guy insisting it was "line 2". I know I'm doing it, so the conformity is not entirely internalized, but it frustrates me and I wish I had quicker responses and the ability to operate internally and externally at the same time.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

It's not necessarily pressured by anyone to answer differently than what they believe... It's a test of how many people would actually go against what the groups answer is.... If I'm not mistaken, the example of this experiment that I watched had six people, the first five people all answered completely and obviously wrong, just to see how the sixth person would respond. Whether or not they would say what was obvious or whether they would cave and follow the crowd.

Epiphany

I definitely wouldn't drink the Kool-Aid like the kid in the first video did, even if I watched my best friend do it, especially after the first guy apparently began writhing in pain. How stupid can you be?

I would hope that I wouldn't question my own judgement to the point of conformity if I were the subject in Asch's experiment. Nobody truly knows how they would respond unless they're in that situation. I tend to value my own opinions more than others' anyway; afterall, they're my viewpoints. I try not to devalue other people's perspectives, but unless they can convince me that I'm wrong, I'll probably stick to my own.

Since it was a social experiment, I wonder if anyone's response was influenced by the people they were with. For example, would somebody be more/less inclined to conform if they were sexually attracted to someone else in the group. Or if they were arrogant and felt like they were better than the others for one reason or another, would they be more likely to voice their disagreement? Or if they felt intimidated by one or more of the subjects, would they be less willing to oppose the group?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

...I don't know how many people will get it.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/