• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

OCD/OCPD

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
So, I thought this would be interesting. Anyone diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder? The reason I'm asking is that if someone has OCD/OCPD, they always have a funny story or two to tell.

I have OCPD. I have avoided cracks in the sidewalk since I was 6 or so, so that means about 14 years.

One time my teacher erased the board but missed a teeny tiny spot. All I could do the entire lecture was stare at it. Finally I stood up and pretended to throw away some trash and wiped it off with my hand. The teacher saw me and thought I was trying to be funny, so he yelled at me and sent me out of the room. I didn't tell him I have OCPD, because I don't really see it as a good excuse, honestly. Still, when I think about it now it is a pretty funny story. :happy2:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know a brother and sister, the brother has quite severe OCD and it pretty much runs and ruins his life. His sister has OCPD, and that not only runs her life, but runs and ruins everyone else's life who knows her as well.

From a distance, I can chuckle over the crazy stuff that's SOOOO important to them that they'll drive everyone else to distraction over it... but really, the more I think on it, the more non-funny it becomes... and when they're around and I'm on the receiving end of it, it's anything but amusing. I mean, I've seen this guy drop banknotes on the floor and just watch them blow away down the street, cursing and yelling but doing nothing to catch them "because they've been on the floor", so he's "lost them now".

Two people whose lives are entirely ruled by fear and resentment... ugh. I find him much easier to put up with because he at least acknowledges and is aware of his problems and tries to address them. She, however, is still in utter denial, despite having been diagnosed, she refuses the diagnosis as well as any treatment.

Literally their entire family has been destroyed by their illnesses, and neither of them have any friends except the guy has me, his only friend, and I only know his sister through him. I'd never see her by choice.

Still, there are anecdotes I could tell that are, as I say, amusing if you can detach yourself from the tragedy of it all.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Usually we OCD/OCPD peeps are very aware of how unrealistic we are, but we keep going anyways. This awareness allows for us to be able to make fun of ourselves. I'm sorry to hear about your friends. My tendencies are more focused on me and less on people around me, so I typically only do "damage" to myself. I'm so much better than I used to be, though. I don't carry hand sanitizer around with me anymore, which was a big step. When people offer it to me, though, it's like putting crack in front of a recovering crack-addict. ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My understanding of it has been that OCD people are usually aware of it, but OCPD people more often aren't, because it's ingrained into their personality as opposed to a sorta irrational 'appendix'...

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I knew something was up whenever I had to rewrite my math homework every time I finished it, not to mention when I would spend hours rearranging things until it was "right". I read an article that said that OCPD isn't a disorder, it is a dysfunctional philosophy. I guess it depends on what our anal-retentiveness extends to in our everyday life.

MerkW

So, I thought this would be interesting. Anyone diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder? The reason I'm asking is that if someone has OCD/OCPD, they always have a funny story or two to tell.

I have OCPD. I have avoided cracks in the sidewalk since I was 6 or so, so that means about 14 years.

One time my teacher erased the board but missed a teeny tiny spot. All I could do the entire lecture was stare at it. Finally I stood up and pretended to throw away some trash and wiped it off with my hand. The teacher saw me and thought I was trying to be funny, so he yelled at me and sent me out of the room. I didn't tell him I have OCPD, because I don't really see it as a good excuse, honestly. Still, when I think about it now it is a pretty funny story. :happy2:

Why are you grouping OCD together with OCPD? The two disorders are VERY different.

Regardless, I myself have OCD (with mysophobia as a very prominent obsessive symptom). Currently, I cannot really think of any anecdotes that would be classified as funny, but rather odd or disturbing.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Why are you grouping OCD together with OCPD? The two disorders are VERY different.

Regardless, I myself have OCD (with mysophobia as a very prominent obsessive symptom). Currently, I cannot really think of any anecdotes that would be classified as funny, but rather odd or disturbing.

I didn't group them together. Having experienced them both for most of my life I thought I would consolidate them into one thread. I'm a psych major; I know they are different. OCD is ego dystonic while OCPD is ego syntonic. They do overlap in some symptoms, but they arrive at them differently. I guess I'm the only person who can laugh at all the dumb shit I do.

I can share disturbing/odd anecdotes as well. One time I bug flew into my shirt and on my back and it completely terrified me. It also didn't help that we never found it. I spent the rest of that night being very anxious and scratching my back because I felt like it was there even though I knew it wasn't. I realized much later that I had bleeding scratch marks all over my back... and I do mean ALL over. I still have the scars.

(For clarification: I've overcome most of my OCD rituals just for the record. I'm primarily OCPD now, and it's a work in process.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, there's the one about someone I know who has OCPD, where she had this thing about not getting hair product on her upholstery. She directed this totally at her stepson, however, and didn't seem to think anyone else wore hair gel. When he came to visit, she'd make him sit in a certain chair that had an antimacassar on it, but like, whenever he moved she'd be following him around the room with this antimacassar just in case he sat down on any other chair, and then the piece de resistance was when she put it on the back of his chair at the dinner table, even though the back of the chair only came half way up his back, nowhere near his hair. That was pretty funny from the fly on the wall POV...

Then there's the guy I know who needed to open a new bank account. To open this bank account he needed two forms of ID with his address on them, such as phone and utility bills. However, all of his phone and utility bills from the past 9 years were in a pile on top of his fridge. This is the 'do not touch' pile. Anything that goes on the fridge must never, ever be touched again. It ceases to exist. The reason they're there is because they've been on the floor - of course, when they come through the letterbox they land on the floor (we don't have those weird outdoor mailboxes like you do in the US, we have letterboxes in our front doors here!). So he picks them up with tongs that are there for the purpose, and puts them on top of the fridge.

So he calls the utility company and asks them to send him a fresh statement, so he can use it for ID, hoping to catch the mail man when he arrived and take it from his hand. But when he hears the mail man, he's in bed, and doesn't want to get out of bed because he likes being in bed. It's "safe", he says, in bed, and he's notoriously difficult to persuade to get up at the best of times.

So this kept on happening. I offered to pick up one of the things off the fridge and open it for him so he could use one of those. But he said that wouldn't work, because if the letter touched the outside of the envelope it'd be contaminated. I said I'd be really careful not to let it do that, but he said it still wouldn't work, because once I touched the outside of the envelope, I'd be contaminated, and therefore so would anything I touch.

So I offered to come round and fit a cage to the back of his front door so that letters would not land on the floor. But he said no, because there "wasn't time" to buy one. Apparently it'd take him a few months to buy one of those, because he'd have to work his way through a bunch of mental and physical rituals for allowing a "new item" into his house. And he needed this bank account now.

So I said, supposing I come round, take a letter from the top of the fridge with the tongs, put it in a plastic bag and take it outside, walk to the bank with him and give the letter to the clerk. He said that wouldn't do, because if the clerk touched the letter, then she would contaminate his bank card, cheque book and anything else of his that she touched, and not only that, but she might even contaminate him if she shook his hand.

In the end, he had to rent a P.O. Box at the post office - the shortest and cheapest lease was double his weekly income - just so that he could get a utility bill that he could take not from the floor, so he could open this bank account.

The whole farce took around eight months.

Like I say, hilarious - like a sitcom or something, until you think things like this affect everything in his life. If I want to invite him to lunch, it can never be spontaneous - I have to give him at least 24 hours' notice because that's how long it takes him to get through his 'going out of the house' rituals.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmmm... Yeah. I can't really laugh at that at all. This thread fails. D=
Amazon.com: Just Checking: Books: Emily Colas

Here's a quick and hilarious read if anyone is interested. She tells her story of living and recovering from OCD but with lots of dry humor. Of course there is a lot of tragedy that comes with having OCD, but I personally feel that there is plenty of humor to be derived from it as well.

One time my teacher took my class outside to play a game (yes, in high school >__>) and to start with she asked us to stand on a crack in the sidewalk. I never intentionally step on a crack in the sidewalk. I asked to go to the bathroom and I never came back. I transferred out of the class just and case she tried that BS again.

redacted

Hmmm... Yeah. I can't really laugh at that at all. This thread fails. D=
Amazon.com: Just Checking: Books: Emily Colas

Here's a quick and hilarious read if anyone is interested. She tells her story of living and recovering from OCD but with lots of dry humor. Of course there is a lot of tragedy that comes with having OCD, but I personally feel that there is plenty of humor to be derived from it as well.

One time my teacher took my class outside to play a game (yes, in high school >__>) and to start with she asked us to stand on a crack in the sidewalk. I never intentionally step on a crack in the sidewalk. I asked to go to the bathroom and I never came back. I transferred out of the class just and case she tried that BS again.

that sucks.

i mean, it's cool when you can joke about it. but that anecdote substitute posted was just sooooo sad.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, that post pretty much killed the mood I was aiming for, lol.

redacted

sorry, i killed the mood too by commenting on it twice...

my friend has OCD but it's not that bad. she does this hair pulling thing, and she's obsessed with washing her hands. but it's not even something you would notice unless you knew her really well.

she's laughs about it, though...

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
dissonance said:
sorry, i killed the mood too by commenting on it twice...

my friend has OCD but it's not that bad. she does this hair pulling thing, and she's obsessed with washing her hands. but it's not even something you would notice unless you knew her really well.

she's laughs about it, though...

Matchstick men

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am a proud survivor of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder! I was diagnosed, medicated, given therapy, and have subsequently recovered. Hurrah for Cognitive Behavior Therapy!

What's scary is how many places (incl. the hospital!) I had to go before we found someone who knew what it was and could diagnose my problem. There needs to be more awareness so that people can be helped sooner.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to have OCD too. Not so bad that I was completely paralyzed, but it was very frustrating and demoralizing to be compelled to do things that didn't make much sense. I was a counter. Everything had to be done 4 times in x sets, or in 4 sets of x times. x was usually 4, 17 or 34. 3s were evil, as were 9s. No stepping on cracks. Everything had to be symmetrical. And no leaving fingerprints anywhere because my obsession was being framed for murder. It mostly went away on its own accord. I still sometimes do the fingerprint thing, much to my best friend's chagrin- it's very annoying to her, but I'm fairly sure she's the only one who notices at all.

It's nice to hear everyone's story :hug: , and it's true (Octavia Caesar). Mental illness isn't really all represented that well, and people don't really know a lot about it. When I was 14, and a friend told me about her previous OCD tendencies, it was such a relief to know there was a name for it and it wasn't just me.