User Tag List

First 234

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by natalie1207 View Post
    I've been inattentive ADHD my whole life but wasn't diagnosed until age 20 because I had decent grades all throughout school. My shrink told me I sounded "too smart" to have ADHD, my parents didn't know what it was, and so I gave up on diagnosis at 15. What people didn't know was that I had to work twice as hard as everyone else, even though I had a high IQ. In High School I could sit through History, a class I thought was VERY interesting, and yet I could not pay attention. My focus would zone in and out and I'd lose the specifics, and thus all the things I wanted to know. I'd start thinking about every conversation I had in the past week, replay movies/tv shows I'd seen, fanfiction I'd read, thoughts I had; because I always did my homework and never asked questions no one knew my troubles. I would take ridiculous notes to get good grades on tests, copying verbatim, but for the most part I was not listening. The teacher would call on me and I wouldn't know the answer, much to my embarrassment and others shock. I'm an INTP perfectionist, learning was and is my life, so it took a huge hit to my self-esteem and I'm still having to fight through my issues. When I got on meds the fog was lifted and everything changed - I can read books now, schools been great, although it's no cure. I still have to work on not being late, getting to bed on time, interrupting people, losing everything, cleaning, sitting through movies, remembering to pay bills, socializing, re-reading material over and over again, sluggishness, decision making, change, small talk, processing what was said, inability to block out background noise, changing focus.... was watching Inception earlier (fantastic movie) but I'm not on good meds currently and it was VERY hard to pay attention - I had to put on headphones, watch it on my computer, put on subtitles, and take 2 breaks. It's not fun believe me. I just wanted everyone to know that ADHD is very real and it hurts when people say it's made up because of media bias, thinking it's over-diagnosed, etc. I would do almost anything not to have it.
    Natalie1207 - you don't have to have a photographic memory. There are lots of others who can remember things you cannot! What they DON'T all have is your unique perspective, and the passion for curiosity and acquisition of knowledge and understanding that goes with the INTP preferences. There are not that many of us proportionally relative to the rest of the MBTI preference types in Western culture. You have gifts, be at peace with who you are!! You are valuable as you are!!! Nature/G*d/the Universe, by providing you with the preferences you choose, made you so!

Just imagine if these diagnoses existed in the day of Einstein, he would have been medicated into mediocrity instead of making the impulsive observations and leaps of association he made. Physics would have been somewhat diminished if that had happened. Then look at people like Steve Jobs and Richard Branson and take heart from the "Think Different" campaign that Apple ran so many years ago!!!

I am 56yo and have always had a low boredom threshold (isn't AD/HD a euphemism for this??), have been an overachieving baby boomer as my doc calls me, and used to wonder what I would do with the strange and eclectic set of knowledge, skills and understanding I had acquired over a lifetime - including my impulsivity that was based, I now understand, on a very finely tuned iNtuition, but made no sense to others without those preferences.

I have been a lecturer for 16 years now and love it and use all of my accumulated and eclectic collection of skills and knowledge, and my curiosity, to forge new roads and methods. My industry, digital graphics and the technology, typography and corporate style, change so frequently I don't have time for my low boredom threshold to kick in, and I am paid very well.

Be true to yourself, follow your passions - you DO NOT have to adhere to other people's norms to succeed in life except where they are legally or socially unacceptable. Even then, if you believe them to be wrong, arm yourself with knowledge and understanding and push to change them.

Don't EVER let anyone make you feel less than you are because of their expectations!!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFJ

Just imagine if these diagnoses existed in the day of Einstein, he would have been medicated into mediocrity instead of making the impulsive observations and leaps of association he made. Physics would have been somewhat diminished if that had happened. Then look at people like Steve Jobs and Richard Branson and take heart from the "Think Different" campaign that Apple ran so many years ago!!!
    As much as I hate disagreeing with people (INFJ, wheeee!) I just straight up disagree with this bizarre yet pervasive idea that medication makes those of us with ADHD duller or think differently than we otherwise would. From my personal experience, which is all I can go on, that could not be farther from the case. I still have the crazy ideas that I've always had, I still make the crazy observations that no one else notices, but I actually get to decide whether or not a train of thought is worth following. And if it is, I can follow it farther than I otherwise would, because without medication I would quickly grow lose focus and be compelled to seek out even more novel stimulation.

low boredom threshold (isn't AD/HD a euphemism for this??),
    While I'm sure you didn't intend it to be come across as such, this kind of dismissive attitude is really hurtful. Having ADHD isn't about maintaining interest, and it's not about the inability to follow social norms. It's about the inability to maintain mental focus even after the initial novelty has worn off, and the inability to control impulses that you know are bad for you. Most people's interest in a given project is likely to decline over time, but their neurochemistry allows them to control their conscious thoughts and focus on whatever needs to get done. People with ADHD literally cannot do this. Research has shown that unmedicated ADHDers have an underdeveloped sense of future consequences and delayed gratification. We procrastinate because we literally cannot work on something that we don't want to do until the consequences of inaction are immediate. As in "oh my god, that project is due tomorrow and I'm going to get fired if I miss the deadline."

Don't EVER let anyone make you feel less than you are because of their expectations!!
    For me, and I suspect for a lot of ADHDers (especially inattentive types) I think the problem has less to do with other people's expectations and everything to do with my own. I know how smart I am - given my general capabilities I know exactly where I could have been if I had been neurotypical. I won't say that I regret the way my life has turned out - I'm doing pretty darn well for myself now. But it was difficult to watch many of my dreams go down the drain while I wasted years being unproductive, not living up to what I knew my potential was, and absolutely hating myself for it.

MBTI
    INTJ

blablablabla..........

To much to read. :P

They say i got AD/HD, i dont do meds. They don`t do what i want them to do. Besides long term sideeffects are not ideal.
    Got the idea for a diagnose at age 23.

People has allways stated that i am hyper. And when i studied i was in sooo big pain being stuck on that school all day. I had to get a old steel chair to avoid me flipping, rolling, tilting, spinning and general fidling with the normal office chairs we had. Just to eliminate the possible loss of consentration to the topic.

What do i do for a living? Engineering. A bit to passive the way it is now.