User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creativity

Senor Membrane Array

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, practice is like meditation - we do it to change ourselves.
    Is meditation with a goal meditation anymore?

And so naturally at this point, we are reluctant to change ourselves. After all, there is nothing wrong with us, and indeed we resist anything or anybody changing ourselves.
    Yes... it seems that everything about controlling life and making it safe is rather contrary to life.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    A bass player once said to me 'Learn all the theory and technique you can, then forget all of it and just play.' Practice increases knowledge (As Victor said 'order and control'), but all of that practice has to be pushed down, sublimated, made unconscious. then chaos gives way to creativity. It allows the listener, viewer, experiencer to perceive the existence of architecture, without directly seeing it.
    This is why children rarely are great artists. It takes years to learn technique in order to forget it.
    That's a good description. I guess I am doing that forgetting part now. In a way there is less thought about impressing people, and more about creating something that I couldn't repeat.

im more creative then u victer

It's a nice Romantic illusion, like the illusion we are all creative, or the illusion that we are all gifted.

Creativity depends on order and control and goes beyond them.

However those whose lives are chaotic like to console themselves that they are creative.

And sadly those who are authoritarian are unable to distinguish between chaos and creativity, and so tragically repress creativity just as they suppress chaos.

And also it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become a master, but the advertisers subvert our practice and tell us we deserve it now. You deserve it, they say, you deserve it without any practice. And naturally we believe them for they are the priests of our culture and of course they are very flattering. They show us flattering pictures, they tell us flattering stories, they tell us we can reach our full potential. Anything but practice.

Then after 10,000 hours of practice, we must let it all go, cast our bread on the waters and watch it come back tenfold, when we are afraid of drowning.

Look I'm not drowning, but waving.
    By 'romantic illusion' you mean ridiculous