User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Group Bullying

Thumbs down Group Bullying

Group bullying remained a secret until Rachel Simmons wrote one of the first books called, "Odd Girl Out: the Hidden Culture of Aggression In Girls".

Since then many other books have followed along with movies, talk shows and seminars. Even our Education Department has a programme directed against group bullying in schools.

However group bullying meets a deep emotional need so group bullying has been transferred from the school to the internet.

And group bullying has been so successful on the internet, it has caused a number of high profile suicides.

And group bullying has been so successful on the internet because it meets deep emotional needs such as the need to belong, the need to scapegoat the different, and the need to express ressentiment in way that is safe for the individual.

One of the problems is that group bullies don't think of themselves as bullies, they feel what they are doing is right and just, right to the suicide of their victim. It is a kind of lynch mob mentality. "The Madness of Crowds", was written in 1932 and crowds haven't changed their minds since then.

It takes moral courage to oppose the madness of crowds and we have the opportunity to show moral courage and oppose the group bullying on Central.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

I like the decree, but how can one change the mentality?

MBTI
    IxTx
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LSE

point being? or just fyi?

btw, is there such thing as non-group/one-on-one bullying? Maybe there's only one person physically manhandling the bullied, but doesn't every bully come with a posse?
    online test: 6ISTP/5INTP/5INTJ/3ISTJ/1ISFP/1ENFJ
    people's suggestion: 1ISFP
    ......../ Bunny says,......\
    ........\Ask me anything./
    ............)/
    ./\_/\..../
    (O .O)
    [^_u )

To understand 'the different', many people feel the need to talk about it. Such talk is not necessarily group bullying. You can come to the place of the talking and help them understand, Victor.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I never bought into that whole Internet bullying stuff. Most of the time the idea is perpetuated by being being oversensitive and or antagonistic and unable to deal with the consequences. This is what I'm seeing with you, Victor. Actual bullying and actual virtual bullying (virtual = almost but not quite real) is something a person needs to learn to deal with themselves because, frankly, life sucks and it'll suck more if you don't learn how to not make yourself a target. Welcome to the jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Group bullying remained a secret until Rachel Simmons wrote one of the first books called, "Odd Girl Out: the Hidden Culture of Aggression In Girls". [...] It takes moral courage to oppose the madness of crowds and we have the opportunity to show moral courage and oppose the group bullying on Central.
    You are duping your own thread about group bullying, Victor. You cited the same book in this bullying thread, as you did in your other bullying thread - "Odd Girl Out - The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", by Rachel Simmons.

Old thread is here:
    The Psychology of Group Bullying.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-bullying.html

Original Post from old bullying thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    To understand what is going on here it is important to read, "Odd Girl Out - The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", by Rachel Simmons.

In it you will find group bullying laid out, from seemingly random personal attacks to attacks by the whole group. And when the victim complains, they are accused of 'venting'.

Male bulling is fairly easy to stop - all you have to do is to stand up to the bully. But if you stand up to group bullying, it only makes it worse.

And this is what I have found here - the more I complain, the worse it gets.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think there are some who are bullying you, Victor, but not everyone is. That does sound like an interesting book, though. Might have to pick it up when I have some free time.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Banned

It's the internet, everyone wants a pop at anyone who likes like they are on the losing end of a battle. Especially when the self reinforcing agenda setting circle'o'friends agree on what they think of someone.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

How strange. I really dislike the crowd and I only like people who are different.

But yes, I've noticed this too. Both in the real world and on the internet. I remember hesitating a bit when I just was a new member of TypoC, because I had this feeling that other members were unfriendly towards me. I still think they were. Anyways, it's nearly two years later and now I think I finally became a part of this thing, however I'm never being mentionned in certain threads (like in "Post a song dedicated to another member" or "Post pictures that symbolize other members" or "TypoC Storyline" or whatever their names may be) and in that case I can never really be a part of this place. So I'll always be different. And the different are more fun. YAY!
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

*awaiting the INF hug for Queen Kat*