• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does your name affect your personality?

ameeker

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I study numerology. The first letter of your name, the vowels, the consonants, and all of them together have an effect, in addition to your birth date.

badger055

Permabanned
I don't relate to my name. I see it as like a social security number. I see myself having a nickname or a stage name one day.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"nothing has matched Jennifer's reign of terror"

tumblr_muwoa0abb41qz6f9yo1_r1_500.gif

Map: Six Decades of the Most Popular Names for Girls, State-by-State

credit to [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] for reblogging the graphic​

93JC

credit to [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] for reblogging the graphic​

The gif for boys names is terribly uninteresting by comparison. Jennifer may have had a "reign of terror" in the mid-'70s when it dominated the entire map, but Michael was the top boys name for 38 straight years; 1961-1998. And Jacob has been the top name ever since.

There's something to be said for having an uncommon name. I will have to decide to begin using my middle initial or full middle name professionally because it turns out there is another man in the professional association who has exactly the same name as I do. :dry:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
There's something to be said for having an uncommon name. I will have to decide to begin using my middle initial or full middle name professionally because it turns out there is another man in the professional association who has exactly the same name as I do. :dry:

If your first and last name are both the same as somebody else, I respect what you've done. However, I am against giving your child an odd birth name, as it is just another way to ensure he/she is bullied and perhaps discriminated against in employment.

I will give my children nice, ordinary names that reflect their ancestry and culture, and encourage others to do so as well. I wouldn't call a kid of mine Leroy, Suri, or Dimitri, for example...most inappropriate.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Ethel. Lucy. Ricky. Fred.

Lucy is a nice name, if slightly old-fashioned. I would add Amanda, Claire, Hannah and Nicole.

I was thinking of Luke, Henry, Jack and Ollie (Oliver) for boys.

93JC

If your first and last name are both the same as somebody else, I respect what you've done.

I get the impression that you may have misunderstood. Rather than go by, say, "Rosco Coltrane", I'll have to go by "Rosco P. Coltrane".

However, I am against giving your child an odd birth name, as it is just another way to ensure he/she is bullied and perhaps discriminated against in employment.

I will give my children nice, ordinary names that reflect their ancestry and culture, and encourage others to do so as well. I wouldn't call a kid of mine Leroy, Suri, or Dimitri, for example...most inappropriate.

:mellow:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I get the impression that you may have misunderstood. Rather than go by, say, "Rosco Coltrane", I'll have to go by "Rosco P. Coltrane".

Oh, right. My fault, went off at a tangent.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't call a kid of mine Leroy, Suri, or Dimitri, for example...most inappropriate.

:shock:

I'd always associated the name Leroy with white dudes who wear overalls with no shirt underneath and work in the type of auto garage/tow service that manages to fix cars without using any parts... they may also sport mullets

or perhaps bad, bad leroy brown

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
my first and last name have eight letters each and i was born eight eighteen eighty eight and in asian cultures eight symbolizes a number quantifiable but too numerous to count (like stars in the sky) practically and that's about how i feel, a large mass of definite but unshapely properties

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ryan has been speculated to mean King or Little King/Prince and probably originated in Ireland, although the name was heavily anglicized to become what it is today. I speculate that it may be related to Rey, the spanish word for king, which itself derives from the Latin word Rex. However, as Spanish was heavily saturated with and influenced by the Arabic language, it may also be related to the Arabic word Rayan. There was also a celtic presence in ancient spanish/iberian culture, so this could further suggest that all of these words might share a common origin predating written history. If I remember correctly, the celts and latin speaking people share a common link, as their languages are all part of the Indo-European family.

I like my name, but I don't think it's influenced who I am as a person.

I'm just glad my parents didn't name me Keith or Todd.

I'd always associated the name Leroy with white dudes who wear overalls with no shirt underneath and work in the type of auto garage/tow service that manages to fix cars without using any parts... they may also sport mullets

or perhaps bad, bad leroy brown

The only Leroys I know are white guys. One is my maternal grandfather and the other is a nerdy engineer at my work.

tumblr_muwoa0abb41qz6f9yo1_r1_500.gif

credit to @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/17131.html" target="_blank">Chanaynay</a> for reblogging the graphic​

Is it a coincidence that Amanda started gaining popularity right around the time that Boston song was a big hit?

edit: my mistake. That song was not released until 1986.

I think it's bullshit, my name is Elizabeth but everyone's called me Libby since I was 2, so maybe it does. But i've known other Libby's (yes they exist) and most of them were really bitchy and queen beeish. And I can be bitch but I've never been a queen bee

I've always liked Elizabeth but I never understood Libby as a nickname.

I used to play in a band with a chick named Elizabeth but she went by Lyz.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ryan has been speculated to mean King or Little King/Prince and probably originated in Ireland, although the name was heavily anglicized to become what it is today. I speculate that it may be related to Rey, the spanish word for king, which itself derives from the Latin word Rex. However, as Spanish was heavily saturated with and influenced by the Arabic language, it may also be related to the Arabic word Rayan. There was also a celtic presence in ancient spanish/iberian culture, so this could further suggest that all of these words might share a common origin predating written history. If I remember correctly, the celts and latin speaking people share a common link, as their languages are all part of the Indo-European family.

I like my name, but I don't think it's influenced who I am as a person.

I'm just glad my parents didn't name me Keith or Todd.

The only Leroys I know are white guys. One is my maternal grandfather and the other is a nerdy engineer at my work.

Is it a coincidence that Amanda started gaining popularity right around the time that Boston song was a big hit?

edit: my mistake. That song was not released until 1986.

I've always liked Elizabeth but I never understood Libby as a nickname.

I used to play in a band with a chick named Elizabeth but she went by Lyz.

yeah it doesn't make sense usually. but apparently when I was 2 or 3 i was called lizzy but i couldn't do z's in the middle of words and they came out b's and i had a sitter that decided i looked like a libby and it stuck. but i thought my name was libby until until i was 7 and we had to get icons of our patron saint's blessed by the priest and i had to choose an elizabeth i had no idea that was my name.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah it doesn't make sense usually. but apparently when I was 2 or 3 i was called lizzy but i couldn't do z's in the middle of words and they came out b's and i had a sitter that decided i looked like a libby and it stuck. but i thought my name was libby until until i was 7 and we had to get icons of our patron saint's blessed by the priest and i had to choose an elizabeth i had no idea that was my name.

As a nickname, it probably originated in american schools at a time when it was very common for several people to have the same name in a single classroom. Hence nicknames such as Jack for John--it doesn't make sense now because usually a nickname serves to shorten a longer name, which Jack in no way does to John, nor does it sound remotely similar, save for sharing one letter. However, suppose you were named John in a classroom in 1920. Chances are you were probably not the only John in that classroom, so the teacher needed an easy way to distinguish his or her students and make it easier to call on students who shared names without causing confusion.

Still, how the hell people came up with some of these nicknames is beyond me. Libby as a nickname for Elizabeth at least makes more sense than Jack as a nickname for John.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
As a nickname, it probably originated in american schools at a time when it was very common for several people to have the same name in a single classroom. Hence nicknames such as Jack for John--it doesn't make sense now because usually a nickname serves to shorten a longer name, which Jack in no way does to John, nor does it sound remotely similar, save for sharing one letter. However, suppose you were named John in a classroom in 1920. Chances are you were probably not the only John in that classroom, so the teacher needed an easy way to distinguish his or her students and make it easier to call on students who shared names without causing confusion.

Still, how the hell people came up with some of these nicknames is beyond me. Libby as a nickname for Elizabeth at least makes more sense than Jack as a nickname for John.

true my dad's name was jack (not a nickname) so i didn't know until recently jack could be a nickname for john

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A

I have never heard of a Anglo-Saxon boy being named Leroy; it strikes me as about at black a name as there is. Obviously I'm moving in different social circles to you.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
true my dad's name was jack (not a nickname) so i didn't know until recently jack could be a nickname for john

When I was a kid I got confused when old people reminisced about jack kennedy before I figured out he was jfk's alterego/superhero by night or whatever...

93JC

I have never heard of a Anglo-Saxon boy being named Leroy; it strikes me as about at black a name as there is. Obviously I'm moving in different social circles to you.

Mercury_Suit_Gordon_Cooper.jpg

Leroy Gordon Cooper, Mercury astronaut; the tenth man in space.

leroy_anderson_340x255_small.jpg

Leroy Anderson, composer.

etc.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I knew a Leroy he was Indian and was born in Bahrain but his parents immigrated from India then to here. He was definetly not Anglo-Saxon