User Tag List

First 23456 Last

That reminds me, the grading system which is letter based, not numeral based, can evidently impose some detriment to certain names.

"Moniker Maladies: When Names Sabotage Success," Leif D. Nelson and Joseph P. Simmons, Psychological Science

Expectant parents have long considered the meaning behind names before choosing one for their child, but a recent study suggests it's our initials that help determine our fates. The authors argue that our preference for our names is so strong that we unconsciously gravitate toward people, places, objects, and outcomes that begin with the same letter as our moniker: Mary is more likely to marry Mark, drive a Mazda, and move to Maryland than is Virginia, who's more likely to marry Virgil, drive a Volvo, and move to Virginia. To test whether the influence of initials could override a conscious desire to succeed at something, the authors turned to professional baseball players and graduate students. An analysis of Major League Baseball records from 1913 to 2006 showed that players whose first or last name started with the letter K (the symbol for strikeout) were slightly more likely to fulfill the destiny suggested by their initials: they struck out 18.8 percent of the time, compared with 17.2 percent for other players. Likewise, MBA students whose first or last name began with a C or a D tended to end up with lower grade-point averages, and law students with A or B in their initials tended to end up at better-ranked programs than those whose initials included a C or a D. Students with initials from the very beginning of the alphabet did not, however, earn higher grades than those with grade-irrelevant initials. The authors explain that performance reflects both motivation and ability, so although having a name tied to "easy-to-achieve negative outcomes" might hurt you, having a name whose first letter reflects "hard-to-achieve positive outcomes" may not offer a boost.
    See also: A first name can shorten years off your life?
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

My American name is too common to care too much about it. In fact, it was quite common when I was born.

As for my unofficial name given to me by my parents? I try not to take it so personally, but it does affect my personality in some special way. There is a (strong) meaning behind the name. The way that I interpret it is like a prototype for a "code of conduct" of what I set myself to follow unless I find otherwise to change it (which I often do if I see that changing it is better than what I had.) There is probably two of which is easily identifiable to me, Ethics and Morals. Beyond this point... everything gets a bit too philosophical (ex: Aristotle) I could just wrap layers upon layers around my unofficial name.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    That reminds me, the grading system which is letter based, not numeral based, can evidently impose some detriment to certain names.

See also: A first name can shorten years off your life?
    Yes those A names are rather Type-A-ish.

My name is Greek for "crowned one" and, yes, I am quite the princess.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

My name is very common for a lot of people my age. So it's been pretty easy for me to blend in without many questions prompting me how I got my name, or how to spell it... So it's nice when you don't like to talk about yourself to have a common name. I can't really say that it really affected my personality....just made it easier for me to try and be invisible.

Dunno. 5 different people I know IRL know me by 5 different names. But a small part of the name I use on all of them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticAlice View Post
    god i hate it when ppl name their kids after themselves... really, do u think THAT much of yourself???
    i do like naming kids after family members that meant a lot to you though.
    Agree!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

My name is pretty average. The only way it seems to have affected my life is that i get a lot of references to the TV show "Doug".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^^That was a great TV show!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Default delightful irony

America, Why Are You Naming All Your Boys Like This?
    Quote Originally Posted by article

"Put it all together," Wattenberg writes, "and the defining characteristic of this naming era is parents' desire to feel that their child's name is distinctive."

What's fascinating is that parents seem to measure a name's distinctiveness not by its sound, but by its spelling. The delightful irony, of course, is that in seeking to diversify the way we spell our children's names, we wind up converging on a surprisingly homogenized sound. The more names change, the more they stay the same.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Ginkgo

I think my first name and last name have effected some of my choices in life, to the point where they influenced some of my preferences in the long haul.