User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

my name is a supposed common name, but i suppose less common in my generation and the ones after. i think it was more popular just before my time, and so i don't know anyone personally with my same name... but will meet older women with the same name.

but i've always thought it kind of a plain name. first, middle and last are all very common... and in fact all have the same amount of letters. haha.

weird thing is... i have a very ordinary american name... but i don't look "american." by that i mean, not white or black american. i'm asian. well... half. and growing up mostly in rural areas, i've gotten a lot of mixed looks when i tell people my name. i suppose they expected something more foreign. i've even had several, "what's your real name?" (as a lot of asians are fond of choosing an easy american name to go by, as a sort of nick name to simplify life.)

i don't know that any of this really affected me much... perhaps i never made it a point to stand out because my name doesn't. but i can't say i ever really thought too much of my name. well, not enough to where it'd have an impact.

...but it's also possible i rebelled against my asian mother's asian-ness due to my very american name. as i grew older, i refused to take my shoes off at the door, which is customary where my mother is from, but not so much in america. but, i always figured it was more of my own desire to fit in, and less because of my name.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTJ

My name hasn't affected my personality;
    I think it compliments my personality, though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ni

How very interesting. I relate to this 100%. I always say my name is this big ole paradox. The mythical figure I'm named after is from a culture nothing like mine, we look absolutely nothing alike, but we do have similar behavioral traits. Diva-ish. hee hee. But being in deep thought about the significance of my name has opened me up to the world, and the human condition. I really don't pay much attention to differences in people, since (in my opinion) most of these differences are learning experiences.
    In a past job, would have to address new patients with their full names. I definitely took time in making sure I practiced the name before going into the patient's room. I certainly learned a lot about folks' names, and the pride they take in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    My name has definitely affected my life, and likely my personality as a result. It's not trendy or in the "poorly-educated parent" subtype either. Its just very contradictorily foreign, it takes a special kind of polyglot to get my name right on the first try, moreso in the US. And that does something to a person, to have everyone mispronounce your name at first. I used to tense up before any kind of roll call. And in my youth because I moved to new locations so frequently, there was always another audience of new people waiting to stumble over my name. Just another attribute to help me stand out, as if being shy and tall and the perennial new girl weren't enough. But it is unique and I think that has helped me find myself that way. I've made some peace with my name. It still annoys me if strangers just butcher it without a thought. I'm sensitive to that. If I don't know how to pronounce someone's name, I will ask, not just try to mumble some jumble as if thats going to fool anyone. :rolli:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

My name means noble.

I like in general to have an illustrious bearing. And with my light English/Irish accent living in the states appears to give me an aristocratic air particularly in my professional attire.

That being said there also a side of me which is iconoclastic and at times downright vulger if not an outright misanthrope.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

In a sense, I changed my name myself when I was in Kindgarten. My name is somewhat gender-neutral, but the way my parents spelled it was very feminine. I decided that I liked the more masculine spelling better, and just started spelling it that way. Eventually, all my coursework, classes, and even school records were in the spelling that I chose. And I still spell it that way.

I was a bit of a tomboy as a kid, and even now, despite the fact that I look and dress very feminine (with pink being my primary clothing and jewelry color scheme), my interests and personality tend to be slightly more masculine than that of most of the other females I know.

Per your article:
    "I found girls with names that are relatively feminine in high school chose advanced coursework in humanities – and less feminine are more likely to choose math and science courses," Figlio said, adding the research focused on high-achieving girls.
    Science. That's me.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This article refers to low-class and high-class names...but what on earth defines a low class or a high class name?

I do think my name had somewhat of an impact on me... when i was younger i moved around a lot and i was always called my first name and my middle name together... which sounded very girly and i really hated it...eventually i managed to shed the middle name. I have a unisex first name, yet simple..it feels like a strong name to me...and my last name is french... i've never been seen as a very girly girl and perhaps shedding my middle name had something to do with that... either way i absolutely love my name..first and last, and a lot of other people have told me they love my name as well... yet doesn't seem to make people like ME more:P

The article also speaks to liking letters of the alphabet that are a part of your name and how that is related to self-esteem.... well i do love the first letters of my first and last name...and i love my name as well... but i do not have a high self-esteem at all.

It also says that those with names spelled differently than the norm are more likely to having spelling and reading difficulties.. my first name is spelled differently than the norm (only slightly) and good luck trying to spell my last name unless your french... yet i was always above average in both spelling and reading growing up.

Overall, from my experience, i would have to disagree with this article... however... it's just one experience amongst 7 billion..

I'm just glad i didn't get named "Jennifer" which was supposed to be my name up until the last minute when my god mother asked my mother not to name me that as i had a 2nd cousin who was just named Jennifer.

One more thing i think is worth mentioning is that i completely idolize my late grandfather..and my grandfather, my cousin (his only other grandchild) & myself all share the same first initial and last name. Perhaps one of the reason's i love my name so much.
    "You can't take a picture of this...it's already gone."

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

MBTI
    ESFJ

Sarah .. Very common .. hasn't affected me in the slightest.

I think my children have great names .. Ivan and Elliot .. Ivan is not terrible and Elliot wants to change his name to Steven or David when he's older, lol. I think their names suit them well. They've had no real issues either.

MBTI
    GIRL
    Enneagram
    ABCD
    Socionics
    WTF?

Leah.
    Aside from the fact that half my family hates me because it's technically a 'Jewish' name because it's from the Old Testament, it doesn't affect me at all ;]
    And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Considering the fact that the half that dislikes the name is stuck up enough to name their children after them (we have a Victoria Beatrice junior in my family, daughter of Victoria Beatrice and granddaughter to Victor and Beatrice...you get the point), I'm happy with my name.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Leah.
    Aside from the fact that half my family hates me because it's technically a 'Jewish' name because it's from the Old Testament, it doesn't affect me at all ;]
    And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Considering the fact that the half that dislikes the name is stuck up enough to name their children after them (we have a Victoria Beatrice junior in my family, daughter of Victoria Beatrice and granddaughter to Victor and Beatrice...you get the point), I'm happy with my name.
    god i hate it when ppl name their kids after themselves... really, do u think THAT much of yourself???
    i do like naming kids after family members that meant a lot to you though.
    "You can't take a picture of this...it's already gone."

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

MBTI
    GIRL
    Enneagram
    ABCD
    Socionics
    WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticAlice View Post
    god i hate it when ppl name their kids after themselves... really, do u think THAT much of yourself???
    i do like naming kids after family members that meant a lot to you though.
    Exactly!
    Besides, we're not, like, royalty. |: