User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Claymation, Narcissism, and Amorality

[Split from Share Your Favorite Video]

In reply to Night's post of The Mysterious Stranger:

That is the most incredible claymation I've ever seen. I am writing a paper on narcissism, and this is a perfect illustration for amorality, which is a key part of sociopathy, which is a key element of narcissism.
    Last edited by disregard; 02-01-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Details of thread splitting. :)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    That is the most incredible claymation I've ever seen. I am writing a paper on narcissism, and this is a perfect illustration for amorality, which is a key part of sociopathy, which is a key element of narcissism.
    Excellent.

The video is but a segment within a greater piece documenting the existential side of Mark Twain.

Let me give you my take:

On a basic level, the piece could be viewed as an examination of the internal mechanics of unbelief.

The fundamental ideals of life - social custom; communal welfare; emotion & its role in judgment - are presented in a systematic manner and are thusly chewed into oblivion. In the end, nothing truly exists, save thought.

And yet, thought is finally revealed as a finite series of internal rhythms given only momentary breath by "God" (us).

To this end, we "become" Satan, as we create and destroy without pause. The devil represents the conscious acceptance of this human constant. In a crude way, he might even be understood to be our "conscience".

Hope this helps.

MBTI
    INFP

Really? I have to watch it again.

I didn't know Mark Twain was into this kind of stuff. I am really interested in him now..

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Really? I have to watch it again.

I didn't know Mark Twain was into this kind of stuff. I am really interested in him now..
    Much of his identity is hidden within popademic-whimsy.

Some critics regard this series of short stories as an extended letter of suicide.

MBTI
    INFP

I do not agree with what Twain or the video is saying about human nature. This forum serves as an example that people can be better than simple beings that kill over land and wealth, and destroy beauty without pause.

MBTI
    INFP

Thanks cafe.

MBTI
    INFP

I do not agree with what Twain or the video is saying about human nature. This forum serves as an example that people can be better than simple beings that kill over land and wealth, and destroy beauty without pause.
    Hm... but are we really representative of human nature in general? 15 years of internet for the masses representative of millennia of humanity. And are we truly as we portray ourselves online?

I do believe that individuals can rise above human nature, but looking at human history, do the majority really do that? Even today? We're part of a culture that was enabled by slavery, wars, sweatshops, killing over resources etc. Even the internet is a byproduct of war. Yet we sit here writing about being better than simple beings instead of spending all our resources to help humanity rise above destruction, exploitation etc.

I think Twain had a point.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INFP

You're right.. I just had an optimistic moment. There is beauty in truth, and I think that is why I loved that clip so much.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

You're right.. I just had an optimistic moment. There is beauty in truth, and I think that is why I loved that clip so much.
    As a sidebar, why do we (or most, perhaps) instinctively "find" beauty in truth?

MBTI
    INFP

Good question! I would say the few of us that do appreciate truth and philosophy are those that crave understanding.. not affirmation.