User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Is it possible?

ThatGirl

Default Is it possible?

To be intensely emotional without being illogical?

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I can be very emotional but still retain for at least the most part my sense of logic, and if I can't, I will usually retreat.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    depends on what you mean with emotional. Do you have a situation that can illustrate what you mean?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think intense emotions would tend to get in the way of dispassionate, logical thought. I tend to find that the first thing that needs to be done with intense emotions is squash them flat so they don't get in the way of my thinking.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

There is the case where the conclusion brought about by emotional judging may be parallel with the conclusion brought about by thinking in the most logical and rational manner. This case would allow the conclusions of the person to be logical as well as emotional by objective standards.
    Another case would be that the values of the person lie in rational thinking so to be driven to rationalise by one's own subjective values would be a case where feeling drives someone to become logical. However, I'm not sure if it counts as an emotional response.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think that you could be intensely emotional and do something like a logic puzzle well.

However, being intensely emotional tends to get in the way of making good relationship decisions. On the other hand, having no emotions tends to ruin good relationships as well.

Smile Emotion, Obedience and Logic

If we are able to listen to an emotion, it rises and falls naturally.

And an emotion has a life of its own. It's born, it lives and dies unless we fail to listen, unless we fail to attend. Then the emotion becomes strident, insistent, overbearing and finally frustrated and angry.

So many of us are trained from birth to over-ride our emotion, first in the interests of obedience, and then in the interests of logic.

And unfortunately that kind of logic has a vested interest in obedience, without being seen to command. That kind of logic is the kind of logic you have when you are not having any logic.

Watch here, watch every thread, and see emotion cut off, stifled, ridiculed in the interests of a phoney logic. How many times have you been told by the commanding voice here, to be logical. Hey, they say, if we are all logical together, everything will work out. But it never seems to happen.

Emotion rises naturally within us and all we need to do is listen.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    There is the case where the conclusion brought about by emotional judging may be parallel with the conclusion brought about by thinking in the most logical and rational manner. This case would allow the conclusions of the person to be logical as well as emotional by objective standards.
    Another case would be that the values of the person lie in rational thinking so to be driven to rationalise by one's own subjective values would be a case where feeling drives someone to become logical. However, I'm not sure if it counts as an emotional response.
    Yeah.

I don't know about emotional, but a proficient Feeler will come to logical conclusions in a holistic way sometimes. I've taken decisions based on feelings i've had, and only afterwards did I explain to myself logically why I did it, and I KNEW why, even though at the time of the decision it was quick as lightning.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Are you suggesting emotions are illogical?

ThatGirl

I'd consider myself to be an Intensely emotional person, but I am not illogical. I don't think the trick is stopping or ignoring emotion, it is knowing how to separate it. Live in duality of two truths, and then to pick and chose which truth is the more important or relative to the situation.

Ive noticed with most people it is just one or the other. I think this leads to being misrepresented when people are looking for you to take consistent and clear stances on things. Which is then misinterpreted as illogical. While I view the extreme of either stance to be illogical.