User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Is it possible?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I do have moments of being emotional and illogical but i bounce back pretty quick.

I get a little more worried though when i am being logical/rational when i should be emotional over whats being said. I suppose though i am just distancing my feelings and focusing on the issue at hand and consoling the other person, whilst hopefully giving good advice if it's required and if not, just a shoulder.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    Yeah.

I don't know about emotional, but a proficient Feeler will come to logical conclusions in a holistic way sometimes. I've taken decisions based on feelings i've had, and only afterwards did I explain to myself logically why I did it, and I KNEW why, even though at the time of the decision it was quick as lightning.
    Exactly. Moiety has it right. Emotion and logic can work together. And, where does intuition figure into this? That's my secret weapon and what I follow the most. It's how I know I'll be happy with a decision (if my intuition agrees). But, that being said, sometimes you have to let your emotions do their thing, let logic do its thing, then let your insight bubble up from your deeps. Now those are good decisions! They seem right, they feel right, you can/are willing to back them up, and sometimes the logic arrives several months later (this is how I work).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I'd consider myself to be an Intensely emotional person, but I am not illogical. I don't think the trick is stopping or ignoring emotion, it is knowing how to separate it. Live in duality of two truths, and then to pick and chose which truth is the more important or relative to the situation.

Ive noticed with most people it is just one or the other. I think this leads to being misrepresented when people are looking for you to take consistent and clear stances on things. Which is then misinterpreted as illogical. While I view the extreme of either stance to be illogical.
    Without our emotions, we become like a mummy. I don't believe stifling them is good or healthy. They are incredibly important. They give us our drive, our passion, motivate us to act, help us realize when we should perhaps be cautious, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    Exactly. Moiety has it right. Emotion and logic can work together. And, where does intuition figure into this? That's my secret weapon and what I follow the most. It's how I know I'll be happy with a decision (if my intuition agrees). But, that being said, sometimes you have to let your emotions do their thing, let logic do its thing, then let your insight bubble up from your deeps. Now those are good decisions! They seem right, they feel right, you can/are willing to back them up, and sometimes the logic arrives several months later (this is how I work).
    Yes!!!

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well first off, emotions and feelings are not the same, atleast from a Jungian view.

From Cambridge dictionary of Psychology

emotion
    n. A transient, neurophysiological response to
    a stimulus that excites a coordinated system
    of bodily and mental responses that inform
    us about our relationship to the stimulus
    and prepare us to deal with it in some way.
    So emotions is a byproduct of stimulus/cognition.

Cognition
    n. 1. A general term for all forms of mental
    processes including conscious ones such as
    perception, thought, and memory, as well as
    nonconscious processes such as grammatical
    construction, parsing of sensory data into
    percepts, and the neural control of physiological
    processes. 2. A particular thought.
    So no you cant be emotional and logical at the same time. But you can shift between them at the speed of light and shift back again. Usually emotions are also associated with change in physical energy levels and indulging too long in these can have a negative effect on you. A negative loop is this: external changes in enviroment --> thoughts/cognitions --> emotional response --> change in physical energy levels --> Action --> external change in enviroment, and so on. A simplistic example: The A grade student that gets a C that thinks "I shouldnt get a C" --> Irritation, annoyance etc --> lower energy level --> Cant study as long because of lower energy levels --> Gets behind others in the class, and the loop goes on.

Normal people use a great deal of both emotions and logical deductions or a broader word, cognitions when deciding what to do in a certain situation. And it happens at the speed of light. You dont neccesarily have to associate an "action" before later in a "loop". You could go: external influence --> cognitions --> emotional reaction --> physical manifestation --> cognition --> emotional response --> physical manifestation --> action --> change in external behavior.

To be intensely emotional without being illogical?
    Maybe. Probably the most illogical thing you can do once you recognise and are absorbed in the emotional side is ignore it completely and pretend that it is not part of the system. It fails in the sense that you are aware of information which obviously meant enough to cause a reaction but you now ignore, and it fails in the sense that you haven't looked into what might influence your perception at the time. A lot of people make "logical" decisions believing they have detached, when the emotion has just driven them to ignore whatever part feels uncomfortable to them. You can actually end up more logical by embracing it and understanding it, and it is easiest to study while it is still there.

On the other hand logic is not innately human. It is an invented form of thinking. So there is probably less chance that a human will be instinctively using it at their rawest unless they detach. On one level you need to be standing in the fire, and at another level you need to be watching yourself standing in the fire, detached from it all.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

You'd have to be very good at compartmentalizing. You have to restrain the pull of emotions, in order to remain objective.

But it is possible to be very pissed off, or grief-stricken or what have you, and still be logical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh yes, many emotions greatly assist with logical and critical thought.

The most obvious are passions for logical thought and truth. Very powerful, often overwhelming emotions that often cause one to see past their own bias and ignorance. Boredom and curiosity are two other ones that have similar effects, but are much less potent.

Positive and peaceful emotions have been shown to cause better performance on logical tests, such as maths, supposedly by providing clarity of thought. Tiredness (mental fatigue) and depression are examples of emotions that do the opposite.

Arousing emotions (e.g. excitement) boost creativity, which is an important part of synthetical thought, so I guess that might count to. Though generally people mean analytical thought when they say logical thought.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm sure it's possible. As to making decisions based on emotions (intense or otherwise) I'm not sure. I can't see how a logical decision - which IMO requires a reasoned analysis of the situation at hand - can be made based on emotions. Emotions change, logical reasoning doesn't. A decision based on emotions may seem good at the time, yet not so in the future. I would imagine it would also depend on the importance (and permance) of the decision.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

[QUOTE=Victor;1389523]So many of us are trained from birth to over-ride our emotion, first in the interests of obedience, and then in the interests of logic.

And unfortunately that kind of logic has a vested interest in obedience, without being seen to command. That kind of logic is the kind of logic you have when you are not having any logic.

Watch here, watch every thread, and see emotion cut off, stifled, ridiculed in the interests of a phoney logic. How many times have you been told by the commanding voice here, to be logical. Hey, they say, if we are all logical together, everything will work out. But it never seems to happen.
    QUOTE]

Agreed.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    You'd have to be very good at compartmentalizing. You have to restrain the pull of emotions, in order to remain objective.

But it is possible to be very pissed off, or grief-stricken or what have you, and still be logical.
    This ^.

But I also think it depends on the context in which the emotional intensity is expressed, as well as the nature of the emotional intensity.