Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Is This Si?

Last night before I fell asleep I "walked" through my childhood home and remembered everything in sharp detail: the rocks on the front path and the ants that would crawl there in their hills, the feel of the rough front porch carpeting, the smell of the sap leaking from the log cabin, wooly worms in the yard, the pine trees that capped each end of our property, the bookcase - even some of the books inside, the pictures that hung on the hallway wall and in which order, the original refrigerator and the newer one we bought when I was about eight, how excited my best friend and I were about using the ice machine, the exact placement of the curtains and the plants and the knick knacks and the tables

...and the order, the blessed sense of order and permanance there, and a deep sadness of not only losing my childhood and the people therein (especially grandparents and great-grandmother who are now dead) but actully feeling mourning for the OBJECTS THEMSELVES. I actually miss objects from my childhood and the feeling of things staying stable, and orderly, and not changing.

I can remember these objects - foot stools and clothes hampers and vinyl flooring and my swing set...not just the stronger memories attached to them, and there's a feeling attached to all of this.

I frequently dream about this place when I'm actually sleeping and want to go "home" but this is while I was awake.

It reminds me of the time that I was depressed and living in my apartment in WV and so I organized the silverware drawer to look like my grandmother's.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Anybody?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Am I the only non-SJ on this forum who uses Si?

Every human being uses Si to some extent, unless they went through the windshield of their car and sustained brain damage. I am human, so yes, this non-SJ uses Si.
    The future is for the unafraid.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But is what I stated in the OP indicative of Si?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i think the details came from Si, but i dont think all memory is Si
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Remember, the functions are ultimately perspectives, so the answer to the question would be the context of how you were using "memory".

That sort of nostalgia does sound like tertiary or even [a developed] inferior Si.

According to Berens:
    Quote Originally Posted by Introduction to the Personality Type Code
    While they may not want to participate in traditions or other customary activities for the sameness of them, they often have a sense of nostalgia for how things were before, often with romantic notions. Similarly, they often desire some future life that is set, with conventional trappings, yet are drawn to novelty.

They can have a rich memory for detail—not noticing the details in the moment but being able to recall them later with specificity that surprises others. They enjoy sifting through and reliving various good memories. At the same time they will avoid situations that might spoil a good memory with a bad revisit of the experience because of the powerful influence bad memories seem to exert on them in the present. Their recollections can seem incredibly real and convincing, even when highly inaccurate or fanciful. They can become overly engaged in this process and get caught up in stockpiling goods and information so they are always prepared and avoid shortages. Similarly, they can over-prepare and get lost in the details. If they don't recognize the value of this process, then they will likely disavow careful data collection. Their inability to settle can become a plague to themselves and others.
    Though the inferior is said to manifest like this in "midlife", and you haven't reached midlife yet, right? I know with me, things like this kicked off in teens, when the tertiary or "eternal child" complex is said to develop.
    Still, it could be just be revisiting the old place that triggered it for you (I assume you were actually there, and not just "walking" in your imagination before sleeping. In either case, this sort of thing will likely increase as you get older).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Remember, the functions are ultimately perspectives,

The mental processes are not "perspectives," Eric. That's your own pet word.
    Just because you think it's a good idea to rename the cat a "dog," doesn't make the cat a dog.
    The future is for the unafraid.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Last night before I fell asleep I "walked" through my childhood home and remembered everything in sharp detail: the rocks on the front path and the ants that would crawl there in their hills, the feel of the rough front porch carpeting, the smell of the sap leaking from the log cabin, wooly worms in the yard, the pine trees that capped each end of our property, the bookcase - even some of the books inside, the pictures that hung on the hallway wall and in which order, the original refrigerator and the newer one we bought when I was about eight, how excited my best friend and I were about using the ice machine, the exact placement of the curtains and the plants and the knick knacks and the tables

...and the order, the blessed sense of order and permanance there, and a deep sadness of not only losing my childhood and the people therein (especially grandparents and great-grandmother who are now dead) but actully feeling mourning for the OBJECTS THEMSELVES. I actually miss objects from my childhood and the feeling of things staying stable, and orderly, and not changing.

I can remember these objects - foot stools and clothes hampers and vinyl flooring and my swing set...not just the stronger memories attached to them, and there's a feeling attached to all of this.

I frequently dream about this place when I'm actually sleeping and want to go "home" but this is while I was awake.

It reminds me of the time that I was depressed and living in my apartment in WV and so I organized the silverware drawer to look like my grandmother's.
    I'd say no.

Si is a function that often gets associated with memory, but I think that connection isn't a good or at least deep. Si has more to do with wanting to be certain of what you know. Si users like to have a sound base for making decisions, one made using information the person feels they can trust. Consequently, they will often run things through their heads to make sure they have everything straight, whether it is the days events or a shopping list. Is repetition can help bind things into the memory, but Si isn't memory itself.

This remembrance itself isn't product of the functions, though what you do with it might be. And what did you do with it? You brought it to use to be analysed, to disect it's impliacations. That might be fueled by Si, looking to comfirm your suspicions.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ok, Andy, I was wondering because of the intensity of the detail and the object-orientation, not just because it was a memory, and Eric...this kind of thing has been going on for years, one of the reasons I questioned INFP over ENFP.

Thanks.