User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Stanford Prison Experiment

Stanford Prison Experiment Video

Has anyone ever seen/heard of this? It's kind of old, but really interesting none the less.

There's also an interesting connection to shyness at 47:00
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Stanford Prison Experiment Video
    Has anyone ever seen/heard of this? It's kind of old, but really interesting none the less.
    Along with Milgrom's "zap the subject" experiments, one of the most famous psych/socio tests of last century.

They shut it down early because of the negative group dynamics. Very fascinating stuff.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I've read The Lucifer Effect, which is the book written by the professor administering the experiment.. thanks for the link to the video.

MBTI
    INXP

Great stuff.. anyone doesn't know about this, worth a look/read. It's amazingly depressing what it says about the human psyche, too! Hooray!

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Only now reading about it. Quite morbid. And interesting how some guards were apparently kinder and some genuinely sadistic.
    Not really.

The prison experiment describes perfectly how I see the world. We're all prisoners and our rulers are the prison guards. It's why I don't trust anyone with the slightest amount of power or authority.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

*nods* Very fascinating stuff indeed... It's a classic for intro psyc classes. Good stuff!

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

There is a rather shocking but impressive German filmversion of it: "Experiment".
    Experiment, Das (2001)

The experiment in itself is absolutely amazing and frightening.
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

This strongly reminds me of my time in the prison camps and why I never wish to return to them. It may be the main thing that gave me my strong resistance to authority through undermining their power and attacking their position. Of course, some of it is just my personality.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

This is a classic! I find the Milgram Shock Experiments even more disturbing though.

If I ever get a PhD, it will likely be in social psych.

They really went full force with this experiment, and there's no way any US institution would allow it today. From The Stanford Prison Experiment: A Simulation Study of the Psychology of Imprisonment:

Blindfolded and in a state of mild shock over their surprise arrest by the city police, our prisoners were put into a car and driven to the "Stanford County Jail" for further processing.
    Each prisoner was systematically searched and stripped naked. He was then deloused with a spray, to convey our belief that he may have germs or lice
    Out of 50 or more outsiders who had seen our prison ...only one who ever questioned its morality. Once she countered the power of the situation, however, it became clear that the study should be ended.