User Tag List

First 123 Last

Cool ADHD and Popular Culture

I am surprised everyone is quoting anecdotes but not putting them in any context. It's like collecting data but having no theory to fit the data. And so the data is essentially meaningless.

It's like living a meaningless life, where everything is simply an anecdote with some weirder than others. It makes life a kind of freak show, a bit like TV. It's a life of one distraction after another. It's a life of ADHD. And fits perfectly into the distractions of popular culture - Cool!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ we're relating to one another, victor. it's not meaningless; it's overlapping/shared experience. just because we're not openly discussing the overlap doesn't mean it's not important to us.

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho
    I sometimes hear voices, just as I'm about to fall asleep. And they're freaking me out.
    I remember once, I was lying in bed and I heard "Go buy some bread", and I woke up instantly, asking myself what the hell was that?!!?
    wildcat is right - this is documented to be a very common and normal occurrence for mentally healthy people. the few times it has happened to me, i thought someone was calling my name when no one had.

i sometimes get kanashibari, or sleep paralysis, a nasty little fucker of a condition. it's where you wake up cognitively before your body has taken back voluntary control of your muscles (which is inhibited during sleep so you don't hurt yourself during REM). essentially i can think and feel myself breathing, but i cannot move any of my limbs. the first few times i was terrified. i'm still slightly terrified by it - after all, what if you never returned from paralysis? - but at least i usually can figure out what's going on. essentially i use my mind to scream and flail in the hopes that i can stimulate the other parts of my brain to forfeit control of my body.

Thumbs down The Racket of Relating

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    ^ we're relating to one another, victor. it's not meaningless; it's overlapping/shared experience.
    So you are validating one another's experience.

It's as though your experience is not valid until it is validated by someone else.

So the deal is you validate my experience and I will validate your experience and we will all feel validated together. And feeling validated is good, right?

And of course it is. Feeling validated is wonderful. We are normal. We are accepted. There is no need to explain our experience because everyone shares it and understands it.

And you're right. Relating to one another is not meaningless, it is a racket.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

There is no need to explain our experience because everyone shares it and understands it.
    if this were true, these boards wouldn't exist! there would be no need to have type theory because we would already understand one another. we need to both affirm and explain, and to question and reconsider. out of curiosity, what is your ultimate goal, victor? in general, i mean. i feel like you are usually arguing something... which means you have a point to make...

i do appreciate your skepticism towards the status quo but what is it you believe in, instead?

Smile A Good Question

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    if this were true, these boards wouldn't exist! there would be no need to have type theory because we would already understand one another. we need to both affirm and explain, and to question and reconsider. out of curiosity, what is your ultimate goal, victor? in general, i mean. i feel like you are usually arguing something... which means you have a point to make...

i do appreciate your skepticism towards the status quo but what is it you believe in, instead?
    My father, sitting in his armchair, would tell me, "Victor, it is no good criticising something without having something better to put in its place". But he was wrong, for it is better to ask a good question than to have a correct answer.

MBTI
    ENTP

Do you not feel comfortable sharing? You feel more comfortable criticizing?!

Criticizing instead of sharing makes you superior in some way?

Do you feel alienated, different? Living in a world of mindless people? Seeking proof constantly that people are actually mindless? Seeking proof for a long time now?

Do you actually connect with other people?
    You also write different compared to most people. And have an uncommon avatar. Do you listen music which most people do not listen? Do you dress in an uncommon way? Do you do most things in an uncommon way? Do you consider seeing things in an uncommon way? Seeing meaning where most people can't? Do you watch uncommon movies? Have uncommon hobies?

Everything about you is different.
    But is it worth it sacrificing the connection, for being different?
    Do you associate commonness with stupidity?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I used to have a pretty vivid sleep life, where I'd remember a majority of my dreams, and usually be able to extract some sort of meaning from them. The thoughts between waking and sleeping are completely nonsensical for me. Often my mind will try to combine two concepts together in unintelligible ways that I can't even begin to describe. It's kind of a cognitive version of synthesia. I always figured that state was a kind of inbetween, 'glitchy' state for the mind.

@guesswho - I hear the voices sometimes too.

I one time was dozing in class and the solution to my homework (for a different class) came to me in a dream. I had been stuck on this one part of the assignment, and then, suddenly it was as though it was revealed to me. No joke!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have something to add to my thread about thinking in "weird" ways when falling asleep, and it may strongly contibute to INTPs theory of thinking in tertiary or inferior functions in that state:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum.../36974-si.html

Of course, also under the manipulative guise of leading you to MY thread...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have something to add to thread about thinking in "weird" ways when falling asleep, and it may strongly contibute to INTPs theory of thinking in tertiary or inferior functions in that state:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum.../36974-si.html

Of course, also under the manipulative guise of leading you to MY thread...