User Tag List

123 Last

Lightbulb A Discussion on the Creative Brain

This flash video of an hour-long discussion on creativity might be worthwhile for you to watch if you are interested in any of the following:

• the origins and processes of creativity
    • modern art and modern artists
    • learning how learning disabilities and/or cognitive limitations can elicit creativity

Be advised that it starts off slow, especially before they get to the panel. It really does pick up, though. You can tease out some cognitive function discussion from what they describe, although no one on the panel uses the terms. I hadn't heard so much about face blindness before this, its rather fascinating.

I hope its available for everyone to view.
    Simply click on Richard Serra's face to start the video.

I really liked Chuck Close talking about not waiting around for inspiration and also the creative power of limitation, which is related to his own disabilities, but also in a kind of problem-forming sort of way.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

The true mystery of the creative brain is "Why didn't anyone come up with non-realistic art styles until the late 19th century?'
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Why is that the true mystery of the creative brain?

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I dunno.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Cool Creativity and Presence

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Creativity is passé.

And we can tell because everyone and their dog want to be creative. But of course if everyone is creative, no one is creative.

Today, celebrities are celebrated for their sheer presence, not for their creativity.

And everyone and their dog want to be present on Youtube.

But if everyone wants to be present, no one is present.

So soon presence will be passé.

So the interesting question is, what leads us to desire creativity or presence?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Listening to the video in the background. Am unfocused to say much today. I have bursts of creativity that comes and goes which I wish would stay. When I had adrenal fatigue I've said that it felt like I had a frontal lobe reduction and my imagination went.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Creativity is passé.

And we can tell because everyone and their dog want to be creative. But of course if everyone is creative, no one is creative.

Today, celebrities are celebrated for their sheer presence, not for their creativity.

So soon presence will be passé.

So the interesting question is, what leads us to desire creativity or presence?
    I think you may be right about that. The whole "tell me everything about the REALITY of your life" aspect of present culture is getting boring. We always move on to something new. It's probably brewing in our midst already.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Creativity is passé.

I see. I recognize the worship of celebrity. Celebrity as in renown. Narcissism.

And if everything is terrible, then nothing is

I've heard it said about our modern age that the famous are rarely significant and the truly significant are often not famous, so I don't think creativity is truly doomed.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Really?

Creativity, or rather what creative people make, will never go away. And anyway, I would say that very few people strive for that life in this time. But some are compelled to it, and always will be.

Oberon

Creativity for its own sake is one thing... i.e. creativity in the art world, for example, or in the music world. Creativity in those areas has been more or less deified while the old values of skill and talent have been neglected (to the detriment of art and music generally, IMHO).

But the primary value I see in creativity today is applied creativity... creative problem-solving, for example, or creative industrial design, or creative forest management, or creative housing solutions. There's no reason to assume that the ways in which we do things now in these arenas are the most efficient, or the most synergistic, or the most beneficial. That's where creativity really serves us well.