First 78910 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I give rep so that I may someday raise a Great Army and march into the West and finally cast the EVIL ONE into the sea.

MBTI
    ENTP

CzeCze... I undersetand your point and mostly agree with it... except... it seems that giving positive comments doesn't seem to need as much justification, or as careful consideration, as negative ones. Well, it probably should, but the general attitude is that it doesn't.

The thing I'd be concerned about, if neg reps flowed more freely, would be why people were giving them. Is it value judgements about what they say? Is it purely penalizing sloppy logic? Or whatever... but my intuition tells me that more harm can be done by someone wantonly dishing out criticism and stuff because someone doesn't agree with them (as is always the danger), than by people wantonly giving out encouraging and pleasant comments.

And I don't just mean in terms of flame wars evolving on the forums, but I mean the personal damage it can do to someone, that we don't necessarily see here.

Also, it tends to be something of a law of averages that people tend to not say anything as long as you're doing alright, but to come down on you like the proverbial ton of bricks if you make a mistake. That's often the way... so if neg reps were encouraged to flow as freely, then I can imagine a scenario in which someone might get far more negative than positive comments, purely because they have some controversial opinions, despite that they haven't harmed anyone in doing so, and have expressed them politely and stuff. And that can kinda feel like being bullied...

Well... I'm not sure what my point is here ...

Haha... maybe that's just it: I think neg points have more potential to do damage to a person in an unconstructive way, if used freely, than positive ones.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP

I could never give neg rep.. it's such a buzz kill.

MBTI
    ISTx

Drunk posting can be funny or obnoxious.

Side note:
    I've been neg repped twice (same person). =/

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    CzeCze... I undersetand your point and mostly agree with it... except... it seems that giving positive comments doesn't seem to need as much justification, or as careful consideration, as negative ones. Well, it probably should, but the general attitude is that it doesn't.

The thing I'd be concerned about, if neg reps flowed more freely, would be why people were giving them. Is it value judgements about what they say? Is it purely penalizing sloppy logic? Or whatever... but my intuition tells me that more harm can be done by someone wantonly dishing out criticism and stuff because someone doesn't agree with them (as is always the danger), than by people wantonly giving out encouraging and pleasant comments.

And I don't just mean in terms of flame wars evolving on the forums, but I mean the personal damage it can do to someone, that we don't necessarily see here.

Also, it tends to be something of a law of averages that people tend to not say anything as long as you're doing alright, but to come down on you like the proverbial ton of bricks if you make a mistake. That's often the way... so if neg reps were encouraged to flow as freely, then I can imagine a scenario in which someone might get far more negative than positive comments, purely because they have some controversial opinions, despite that they haven't harmed anyone in doing so, and have expressed them politely and stuff. And that can kinda feel like being bullied...

Well... I'm not sure what my point is here ...

Haha... maybe that's just it: I think neg points have more potential to do damage to a person in an unconstructive way, if used freely, than positive ones.
    I am not trying (exactly, ha) to lead you down the garden path here.. but.. if you are concluding that negative rep points are "bad", and that positive rep is mostly encouraging and all...we are left with a system that simply rewards prolific posters (on the whole) and reinforces cliquey groupings...?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I am not trying (exactly, ha) to lead you down the garden path here.. but.. if you are concluding that negative rep points are "bad", and that positive rep is mostly encouraging and all...we are left with a system that simply rewards prolific posters (on the whole) and reinforces cliquey groupings...?
    You are right here. However, the perception of a cliquey grouping is really up to the observer. So, do people choose to feel alienated? Eh, not quite. But you could say that the display of positive rep might just help augment the tendency to feel that way, again up to the people in question. As a fairly new member, I don't have this feeling myself, as I've found that reputation doesn't really influence perception (here meaning noticing each other's posts) all that much -- however, others just might.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Drunk posting can be funny or obnoxious.
    Hell yeah!

P.S. This is probably the last time we talk for a while, since I no longer talk to people with less rep than I. Sorry.

MBTI
    ISTx

Why do you have more rep than me?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

How DARE you play the pity card in MY pity-thread! SHAME! SHAME!!!

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    How DARE you play the pity card in MY pity-thread! SHAME! SHAME!!!
    Browbeating him will only win him more sympathy.

Jeez Edahn, you gotta learn to protect your crack better.