• To make new friends

11 19.64%
  • To piss you off, Edahn

19 33.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

As a matter of fact, Xander gave me a great idea for putting the word "bleep" in the place of the 3 ***. A bunch of bleeps would make it amusing. I'll probably do that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Oh yeah, twenty-four seven.
    There have been so many jokes about her god-damn filter.

Which words can't you see, I wonder, Mom? Can you at least see damn?

p.s. Is it just me, or do the smilies change positions even in the pop-up window of smilies? I swear I try to memorize where my favorites are, like 'row four from the bottom' or 'midway down,' but they change, and it's frustrating.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Why? WHY? WHY??????
    I just gave you points for your unfinished thought in the thread about finishing thoughts.

First time I've done that since the first few weeks when we were experimenting with the system.

I feel dirty.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    There have been so many jokes about her god-damn filter. xD

General George S. Patton was asked if he ran his profanity filter and he said "Every G-d damned day."

Okay, no one here probably gets that joke, I could not resist. Sorry.

Well, it's funny because it's ironic, if nothing else. "Do you hate swearing?" "Goddamnit, yes! Stop fucking asking me, you twat!"
    For you, and I, wooo

I don't rep that often, but when I do it's for:

1. A post that expresses a viewpoint I agree with better than I could/did
    2. A post that makes an interesting, valid point concisely
    3. A post that makes me want to respond with a note that is off-topic
    3. A post that makes me laugh

I don't rep reciprocally, because I think that makes it mean less. I also think that much of the agita over this system happens because rep is worth more when it is given by people that have high rep themselves. I think that leads to the perception of "cliquey" behavior and I think it's a bad idea. Rep should be worth the same from everyone.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

heart on fire

It is based on the movie "Patton."

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I don't rep that often, but when I do it's for:

1. A post that expresses a viewpoint I agree with better than I could/did
    2. A post that makes an interesting, valid point concisely
    3. A post that makes me want to respond with a note that is off-topic
    3. A post that makes me laugh

I don't rep reciprocally, because I think that makes it mean less. I also think that much of the agita over this system happens because rep is worth more when it is given by people that have high rep themselves. I think that leads to the perception of "cliquey" behavior and I think it's a bad idea. Rep should be worth the same from everyone.
    Yeah, I agree with the idea that everyone should be able to give about the same amount of rep. How much rep you can give should only grow a little over a long period of time, and then level off, if there must be an inequality. It would be just as well if there were no difference in rep-giving power, but a little wouldn't hurt. At the moment, we have such a difference between what people can give, with some only being able to give a couple points and some being able to give an astronomical amount, that it does center the rep around a few people and probably contributes to cliquey behavior. Some people might be tempted to cater to the people who can give the most rep, in a kind of "begging from the rich people" or "rubbing elbows with the stars" way. Rep does rub off, so why not pick a group of people who rub off the most rep?
    For you, and I, wooo

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Rep should be worth the same from everyone.
    I agree (or would if I cared). I wonder if the rep system would make for a good simulation (pt?).

I think, it eventually becomes a system where we have "hubs" where certain members have given out more rep-points than everyone would also tend to be the most likely to have high rep.

Anyway, the system aspect intrigues me. I am guessing that the graph (vertices being members, and directed weighted edges for who gave rep points to who, weighted by the net points given by members to other members) would have cliques (or near cliques) in it (in a graph-theory sense).

I am almost certain that the "flow" between high-rep members and lower rep members would be much lower (off-the-cuff guess, a factor of 5) than between high-rep members themselves.

It's really too bad all of it is private. It would make an interesting study.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

I am almost certain that the "flow" between high-rep members and lower rep members would be much lower (off-the-cuff guess, a factor of 5) than between high-rep members themselves.

It's really too bad all of it is private. It would make an interesting study.
    If you're saying that high rep members reciprocate more between themselves than high to low rep members you are correct sir.