• To make new friends

11 19.64%
  • To piss you off, Edahn

19 33.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Any post that I like, basically. If it makes me laugh out loud, or smile a secret smile; if it says something eloquently and well; if it's original, thoughtful, but also if the poster shows impressive restraint, I rep for that too. Like if someone makes a post and someone else replies in an inflammatory way, but the other person stays cool and calm and doesn't descend to insults etc, I rep for that too.

I haven't neg repped except once and I wish I hadn't done that either really. Reason being that you never know who will take it personally or the wrong way or whatever, and I can't be bothered with people harbouring grudges against me for silly things like that. If someone's gonna have a grudge I'd rather it was for something that I meant to do.

If I did neg rep, then it'd be for posts containing personal insults (not just to me, but anyone), hypocrisy, BS intellectual conceits, received wisdom, and general non-coolness. Again, because I'm also sometimes guilty of these things, I don't really wanna 'cast stones'...

I also don't give rep points to people who represent serious competition for me, for the top spot *

I hemmed and hawed over whether to hide my green boxes, but opted to show them in the end, because I figured to hide them would be hypocrisy on my part, pretending a modesty that isn't truly sincere. I'd rather be sincerely vain than falsely modest. To me, insincerity is one of the worst crimes.

edit - I don't give them for 'friendly' or 'bonding' purposes, and I can't decide whether it irritates me or not, when people give them to me for those reasons. I guess it would, if I didn't actually appreciate the sentiment - only sorta half-wish it'd be expressed some other way (I say half, because I am vain and competitive enough to just think 'yay! more points!' as well). I sorta want my rep to mean something... something more than just 'someone who dishes out a lot of points per rep likes me a lot'. But as I say, I do appreciate the motive and sentiment, so I don't actively try to discourage it for fear of hurting the feelings of the people who do it, only meaning well. I don't want them to feel like I'm rejecting them or their intentions, cos I don't. And I also don't want them to stop doing it, or I'll never beat PinkPiranha or whatever to the top spot!!

*joking, joking!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Mostly, I give out rep points to people who gave rep to me, usually after I've made a post begging for more rep. *hint hint*

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

haha..I see it worked for you, Lateralus! So that's how you do it...

I will give them for well-thought out posts, I'll give them if I agree with someone and just want to send a quick 'I agree' note to them, and then I'll give them when I just want to give people some support, a pat on the back, or a compliment that I'd prefer to do over the rep system rather than derail a thread. I also tend to give a few of my fluffier comments via rep rather than in the actual thread. :-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Redundant thread. Check your user profile.
    Not really.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

every poster so far in this thread has given at least one reason to back up my own for why i don't give these rep points any credence.

ha, like 'rep points' really mean anything on any real level anyway. the only way they would is if they had something to do with my getting banned.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    every poster so far in this thread has given at least one reason to back up my own for why i don't give these rep points any credence.

ha, like 'rep points' really mean anything on any real level anyway. the only way they would is if they had something to do with my getting banned.
    I don't give 'em any credence either. I just enjoy them. They're whatever you make 'em (and make of 'em).
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

Oberon

I give 'em because I want to, when I want to.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I don't give 'em any credence either. I just enjoy them. They're whatever you make 'em (and make of 'em).
    if you don't give them credence, then how can you enjoy them?

frankly, i wouldn't want a bunch of 'points' based on someone wanting to make me feel better about myself. that's like a pity fuck.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I give them when a post really makes me think or expresses exactly what I would have posted myself. I also try to give to new members, since I remember that made me feel welcome.
    And I return reps of course... :p
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    if you don't give them credence, then how can you enjoy them?

frankly, i wouldn't want a bunch of 'points' based on someone wanting to make me feel better about myself. that's like a pity fuck.
    Yeah, I know what you mean, hence my point above about not giving those kindsa points and sorta wishing people wouldn't to me either.

Having said that, it's not necessarily a pity fuck thing. I mean, if someone really likes you because of your posts in general, and they just feel like making a show of it that way, I don't think pity necessarily enters into it...

But I enjoy it when someone gets something good out of something I do, whether it be something in RL or just a post that helped or inspired them in some way. Doesn't mean I have to give it great cosmic significance... y'know like I enjoy movies and but it doesn't mean I get disillusioned when I find out that Leonardo Di Caprio didn't really die in Titanic. I just take it and enjoy it for what it is *shrug* and each point/comment I get 'is' something different.