First 8910

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So what we have discovered is that no one gives rep points for cool avatars? After all, that's what the system was designed for!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Browbeating him will only win him more sympathy.

Jeez Edahn, you gotta learn to protect your crack better.
    Sorry.

MBTI
    ISTx

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    So what we have discovered is that no one gives rep points for cool avatars? After all, that's what the system was designed for!
    We don't?

Dammit.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I am not trying (exactly, ha) to lead you down the garden path here.. but.. if you are concluding that negative rep points are "bad", and that positive rep is mostly encouraging and all...we are left with a system that simply rewards prolific posters (on the whole) and reinforces cliquey groupings...?
    Well, I wasn't concluding anything at all in particular, just expressing a few concerns/points... but yeah I agree that's kinda the way it leads... which seems a bit pointless. I don't know what the altnernative is though... well, not one that doesn't have just as many drawbacks.

I totally disagree about the cliques thing though. I mean I really, totally, passionately disagree about that. But I can't be bothered to argue it right now, having just come from a RL dispute... ugh. I reckon I've probably already put across my views on that though, elsewhere, so I can afford to shut it.

Oh... also, not necessarily 'prolific' posting per se... cos it'd have to be prolific posting that people actually LIKE. If it's about posting good stuff, and good stuff is about what people like, and all the different things that different people like are just as valid as each other... then I don't personally have a problem with that...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I am not trying (exactly, ha) to lead you down the garden path here.. but.. if you are concluding that negative rep points are "bad", and that positive rep is mostly encouraging and all...we are left with a system that simply rewards prolific posters (on the whole) and reinforces cliquey groupings...?
    Seems to me negative rep points would have the same effect on 'cliquey groupings', you'd just have the unpopular and unlikeable 'cliques' added into the mix. [and I do think the cliques are solely a perception thing. I mean, I initially perceived people with really high reps as being more of an exclusive clique that I wasn't a part of, but even as I thought this, I also recognized it was mostly my perception anyway, and that it wasn't really the case...at least, no more different than the real world. Have I felt left out and completely not a part of things? Oh, absolutely - but I think a lot of it is what you make of it, and, well, one could say much of it falls on me anyway. I think this ties into what Nadir was saying. And everyone is on here for different reasons, and the majority of members probably *don't* have the time OR desire to post that often.

Someone positive reps because on some level, he likes what that person said. So someone with a really high rep is probably genuinely liked, for what they post, as well as their personality/character traits...and to me the two go hand in hand anyway. Ones personality and character traits are the foundation for what and how one writes. Sure, someone with a really high rep is bound to post more on the board and have a more solid *presence* on the board, and as a consequence will also probably interact with others on a more 1:1 basis and maybe form some genuine friendships. In this way, it seems a higher rep might accurately reflect things, and it just seems natural that things work out the way they do.

Someone with a lower rep might have incredibly valid and insightful things to say, but if they post less, then they won't have as much of a presence. Although they would get repped probably equally as much as others, in terms of proportion, it goes without saying that if they post maybe once or twice a week, and someone else posts 50-100 times a week, the latter will accrue reputation faster than the former.

I don't think negative repping would alleviate any perceived 'cliques' at all. If anything, it could make things worse, where you have the people with higher reps, and the people who might be consistently negative repped -- in a sense, negative repping would reinforce the 'popularity' aspect to me, because then you'd have the non-likeable people ostracized, and you'd have the people on the other end of the spectrum. It would be the same thing in reverse. (oh, obviously this is just one way it could play out, and I'm sure I'm over-dramatizing it, but anyway...)

Edit: But the whole thing could easily be intimidating or confusing, especially to newer members.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What if rep was a ratio based on the number of posts you make? Or some hybrid between that and the current rating system?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I do!!

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Out of all the reps I have recieved, a few of my posts have received more than one rep,
    and I believe only 2 of my posts have received 3 reps.

One was an informational post,
    and one was an amusing post,
    both quoted below.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I think it means "unique"
    non = none
    pareil = the same

Well, I was close.
    "Having no equal; peerless"
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Yes. And with the Adlblock Image Blocker, I am in complete CONTROL! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!