User Tag List

First 12

ReflecTcelfeR

No, I think that's very helpful. I had never thought of meditation like that before. I have wanted to start for a while now, this'll help me begin. Thank you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

flow states!

you know that feeling you get when you're SO absorbed in something that you lose all concept of time or space or anything but what you're doing?

i think that's the opposite of meditation. but i also think the two at extremes meet one another, like yin and yang.

MBTI
    ISFJ

^Really?

I think the state of meditation might actually be a flow state.

Smile Thoughtless and Mindful

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I can't imagine much benefit comes from meditation that involves relaxing the mind, beyond short-term stress relief and some interesting hallucinations.
    I think relaxing the body, then relaxing the mind, are two steps on the path of meditation.

And it's true, relaxing the mind does lead to stress relief and fantasies.

However as we continue on the path of meditation, we become tired of our fantasies and let them go, and we enter the wordless state. The internal voice comes to a stop, our thoughts come to a stop, and there we are, completely alert but no thoughts whatsoever.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The opposite of meditation is hyped up frustrated stress and behaving reactively. I don't think it has anything to do with introverted or extroverted functions.

Sorry.

ReflecTcelfeR

Why apologize? It was just a theory. What makes you doubt its relation to functions though?

Smile Three Hours of Separation

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think relaxing the body, then relaxing the mind, are two steps on the path of meditation.

And it's true, relaxing the mind does lead to stress relief and fantasies.

However as we continue on the path of meditation, we become tired of our fantasies and let them go, and we enter the wordless state. The internal voice comes to a stop, our thoughts come to a stop, and there we are, completely alert but no thoughts whatsoever.
    It takes me about three hours to get from a mind full of thoughts to a mind completely empty of thoughts.

In the process I pass through physical relaxation, mental relaxation, fantasies and suddenly, all my thoughts stop, and I am left fully alert but without any thoughts.

So at any one time, I am three hours away from deep meditation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Why apologize? It was just a theory. What makes you doubt its relation to functions though?
    Because you can meditate outwardly, say on a natural object like the ocean or a tree.

Also, because I don't think the natural and optimum state of extroverted functions is to be stressed, pissed off, and reactive.

ReflecTcelfeR

So perhaps it also could include the extraverted functions, or aspects of them I suppose. Meditation is a search for complete wholeness so it would make some sort of sense if it encompassed all of them. I think I just came into this with a really narrow definition of meditation.