User Tag List

12 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Default I Have Been Told...

That Introversion and Extraversion are more genetic in nature, I mean to say that some are more predisposed to be one or the other. Firstly, is that true? Secondly, if that is true what do you perceive it would be like to force yourself to be the opposite? I ask because I am not only doubting my Introverted attitude, but I wondered what the psychological reprecussions of this action, if there were any, were. Would it be more correct to say that if you forced yourself to be the opposite, as I stated earlier, that you are more balanced between the two? I wouldn't say equal, but striving for equality. Thanks, all. If you need me to re-word I will gladly do so .

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I don't know about genetics, but both of my parents tend to lean more towards introversion, and while I have my moments... I'm more introverted these days than extroverted. It's weird, I get extroverted when I'm depressed. I just can't stand to be in the house, I don't think before I do... Since I've been a lot happier lately, I'm settling back to enjoying just being at home cooking, reading, relaxing.... And I definitely stop to think before I do something. Thank God, otherwise I would have tried to buy something I don't really have the money for...

I've noticed when I'm trying to force myself to be different I tend to get more stressed out. I can be extroverted if I'm around people who are extroverted... But for the most part I'd rather just hang back and blend in with the crowd.

ReflecTcelfeR

Very interesting! I have to go now, but I will get back to this very soon. Thank you!

MBTI
    INTP

In my case, genetics come into play as both parents were introverted.....however, my introverted mother remarried (another introvert) and had two more children who are both extroverts.....go figure. My extroverted hubby and I have three introverted children.

Now when I say that I am an introvert I really mean INTROVERT, as in I scored 100% introverted. There is no balancing this cart. The more 'outward' activities I have, the more disembodied I feel, the further from myself, and eventually I run for the hills to recharge. I can enjoy informal gathers, but despise formal social gatherings. Bleck. Now, I still enjoy small gatherings, close friends, and love intelligent conversation. I just seem to recquiere a lot of 'down' time. Pushing myself only seems to make that more extreme, not more balanced.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    That Introversion and Extraversion are more genetic in nature, I mean to say that some are more predisposed to be one or the other. Firstly, is that true?
    I think it's true. It's also generally accepted among the psychological academic community (I believe). It's easy to identify children as early as two year olds as extroverts or introverts. Their predisposition doesn't seem to change much over time. But introversion (I) and extroversion (I) (as Myers-Briggs suggests) are part of a continuum - some people fall in the middle of E and I. Others are at the extremes - either strong extrovert of strong introvert.

Secondly, if that is true what do you perceive it would be like to force yourself to be the opposite?
    I think that a person can force themselves to behave as the opposite. However if they're a strong extrovert or introvert it would be difficult. I forced myself to become extroverted when I went to college because as I always say, "extroverts seem to get further in life." I think it's been helpful. Although sometimes people misread and say "No!!! You're not an introvert". But I am really an introvert. I'm just a good actress. Most of the time I just want to be left alone.

I ask because I am not only doubting my Introverted attitude, but I wondered what the psychological reprecussions of this action, if there were any, were.
    Dunno.

Would it be more correct to say that if you forced yourself to be the opposite, as I stated earlier, that you are more balanced between the two? I wouldn't say equal, but striving for equality. Thanks, all. If you need me to re-word I will gladly do so .
    I have forced myself to be extroverted but I still am what I am (i.e. an introvert at heart). You could say I'm more balanced now, I guess, because I can successfully "act" in both ways. But I also think extroversion and introversion are states of mind. That is, the extrovert really has an internal drive to be among people, to socialize to the point of becoming depressed if forced to stay inside too long. I don't feel the "drive" of the extrovert - I don't feel the need to party or make a lot of friends. I don't really think I can force myself to "feel' that way - only I can act that way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

interesting. i think there's definitely a non-environmental component to it. my family is pretty balanced preference-wise, though. my mom is E and dad I; brother I. mom's parents are two Is and she has an I brother. the I brother has 3 I kids. dad's parents are I and E and he has an E sister, an E brother, and another I brother. the E brother has 3 E kids. i imagine you'd have to trace farther back to find correlation patterns, though.

i'm a weak extravert, so i don't think it would be very hard to act like an introvert. i'm not obviously extraverted, and i spent most of my childhood acting like an introvert. it wasn't until college that i really opened up.

at the same time, i get stir-crazy if i don't interact with anyone for more than 6 hours or so. it also would be really hard to hold back on saying what i think is really important to say sometimes, especially when i'm upset! i also really do like large groups of people. i don't really care about parties but i do feel unhappy and disconnected when i only socialize with a small group - i'm a big city girl, for sure. i do have only a small amount of close friends, but i need wide-range people interaction so i feel plugged in with the world.

i think that to a small extent making myself act a little more introverted would help balance me and would probably be quite healthy, but if i tried too much, i would just become too unhappy to function normally. there are also some situations in which full-on extraversion is useful.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think it might have something to do with the way that I am. I was probably born an introvert and forced into extroversion. I remember it seemed very important to my grandfather's wife that I was more widely "socialized." I also know that in order to succeed in life by working customer service jobs or a very schmoozy, selling-your-self type of sales job like being an exotic dancer pseudo-extroversion must be called upon.

I mean, even if I was born a performer that doesn't make me an extrovert. A person can love to perform on stage or make themselves very outspoken in writing and not be an extrovert.

I don't know, but I do know I usually actually test INFP (mostly), INFJ (secondly), and ENFP actually least of the three.

I know for a fact that I never at any point "forced" introversion, so...

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I think we should build some statistics. How about a poll? It can have 6 option.

-Introvert, parents are introverts
    -Introvert, parents are extroverts
    -Extrovert, parents are extroverts
    -Extrovert, parents are introverts
    -Introvert, 1 parent introverted and 1 extroverted
    -Extrovert, 1 parent introverted and 1 extroverted

Although there may be a small correlation from nurture (as in nature vs nurture), so I don't know how trustable the results could be. I suspect nurture might take some role as especially when you are an infant your personality has probably not fully developed yet and might take to influence (or can anyone confirm that this is incorrect?). Anyway, it should give us a fairly good idea.

Personally, my mother, father and sister are all introverts, I think, but I have trouble typing my brother, so I'm not sure on him.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well you'd also have to take recessive genes into account.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well you'd also have to take recessive genes into account.
    I only did genetics for one term in year 10, so please inform me. How do the recessive genes affect it and is it measurable and comparable to the situation? As far as I was aware there are no known genes that determine someone's introversion or extroversion, and that was sort of the purpose of the study.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."