User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Have Been Told...

I don't know about hereditary but I think people are pre-disposed to it. I was an extrovert by common definitions since I was a toddler, even before then. I do belief people are hard wired for pre-dispositions to introversion and extroversion. Life experience has probably made me more 'introverted' if anything.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    I only did genetics for one term in year 10, so please inform me. How do the recessive genes affect it and is it measurable and comparable to the situation? As far as I was aware there are no known genes that determine someone's introversion or extroversion, and that was sort of the purpose of the study.
    If there's no genetic connection then you want mother and father's types for socialization purposes?

But yeah if you're taking genes into account, saying people are physically born one way or the other, then yes we have to take recessive genes into account, it wouldn't be as simple as mother and father.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Sherlock, I feel like the problem with that poll is that as someone mentioned, Introversion-Extroversion is more of a spectrum than a black and white. For example, In my situation I have two extroverted parents that raised two introverted children. However, when you look at it from a 'spectrum' perspective - My mother is on the 'lesser' side of the extroversion spectrum, while my biological father is VERY extroverted. I feel like you have to account for that difference. Labeling them both as extroverts when they exhibit very different levels of extroversion doesn't work.

Visual example: This is what my family would look like if ranked on a scale system. Which is why just labeling "I" and "E" would hardly be descriptive.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

Consulting Detective Array Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar

Yes, you're probably right there. It would be difficult to just have black and white extroversion. It'd probably have to be done to some degree of gradation if it was done.

But I think I realise what you're saying now, marmalade.sunrise. We would have to know the genetics of our parents and add that into the equation rather than just saying whether they are introverted or extroverted? Yeah, that's a good point. I was simply thinking of the correlation of introversion and extroversion in comparison to parents in general, but that's probably going to vary based on all your genes and wouldn't reveal terribly accurate results on genetic predisposition. But genetics is so complicated and we can hardly expect people to list up their chromosone pairs along with that of their family or anything. That sort of thing would be an incredibly complex and difficult to achieve experiment, wouldn't it? Pfft... why am I even trying to propose an experiment to test any genetic aspect of personality. It's impossible! I'm gonna go study or something. I have a math exam in 2 days that I'm going to fail if I don't do something.
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

This article should help:

Biological factors

The relative importance of nature versus environment in determining the level of extraversion is controversial and the focus of many studies. Twin studies find a genetic component of 39% to 58%. In terms of the environmental component, the shared family environment appears to be far less important than individual environmental factors that are not shared between siblings.[13]

Eysenck proposed that extraversion was caused by variability in cortical arousal. He hypothesized that introverts are characterized by higher levels of activity than extraverts and so are chronically more cortically aroused than extraverts. The fact that extraverts require more external stimulation than introverts has been interpreted as evidence for this hypothesis. Other evidence of the "stimulation" hypothesis is that introverts salivate more than extraverts in response to a drop of lemon juice.[14]

Extraversion has been linked to higher sensitivity of the mesolimbic dopamine system to potentially rewarding stimuli.[15] This in part explains the high levels of positive affect found in extraverts, since they will more intensely feel the excitement of a potential reward. One consequence of this is that extraverts can more easily learn the contingencies for positive reinforcement, since the reward itself is experienced as greater.

One study found that introverts have more blood flow in the frontal lobes of their brain and the anterior or frontal thalamus, which are areas dealing with internal processing, such as planning and problem solving. Extraverts have more blood flow in the anterior cingulate gyrus, temporal lobes, and posterior thalamus, which are involved in sensory and emotional experience.[16] This study and other research indicates that introversion-extraversion is related to individual differences in brain function.

Also, in my experience, my parents are different (one extroverted, the other introverted) so it doesn't really help. As an introvert, when being exposed to extroverted situations too much (just being around various people too much), I get tired as hell.