User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default S/N differences in reading

I was wondering if a S dominate person read differently then an N dominate person. I think they might but not sure, I read fast but I also skip over certain words in a sentence and ignore puncuation and I know words by looking at them, like even if I have never seen the word before in my life I can get what it means from the context. I don't focus on every syllable of every word. I always finish test really fast because I would read everything really fast. In class when I teacher would have everyone read out loud I would finish story by the time the reader was at the end of the 2nd paragraph then I'd get bored. I can't really explain it. I read but I don't know how to explain it. may be after a few responses I'll have a way to.

so my questions are

what's your type?

how do you read? do you read individual words or just key words to comprehend the meaning of the material?

anything else?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I'm not so sure about this, but I have noticed that in general, S types tend to favor the ever-so inefficient "internal vocalization" form of reading.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

I think I am an INFJ but am not certain nevertheless this might interest you.

Whether it be something I just read or a classroom lecture I always absorb information the same.

1. read or listen to the information. At this stage I would neither critically consider what I am reading nor take notes.

2. After the initial exposure I note the major concepts.

3. Finally, with the major concepts in mind, review the material with a critical mindset and piece it together into one cohesive whole.

MBTI
    INFJ

Im an INFJ. The words automatically form pictures in my head, so I'm not aware of whether or not I'm reading them all or just skimming key words. I do read extremely fast, so I wouldn't doubt I'm a skimmer and automatically grasp the meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    ...the ever-so inefficient "internal vocalization" form of reading.
    That.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    what's your type?

how do you read? do you read individual words or just key words to comprehend the meaning of the material?

anything else?
    I think you need more S input...

Type: INFj

How do I read: Depends on the material, if the whole thing is interesting to me I read from page 1 - page n. Rather skip around.

I read for content and not the words. I'm notoriously bad at picking up typos unless I forced myself to look. I'm kind of a bookworm though, so I finish things pretty quickly. Took a speed reading course (didn't need it... but it was for free... so hey why not?) Anyways, to read quickly, the course recommend that you skip the short connector words in sentences... (the, a, to, on, etc).

I only sit and pause on words if they interest me... As in I find the wording funny for example.

MBTI
    WOLF

I'm ENFP. I read very fast and automatically make sure that I only focus at a maximum of three segments of a line, cutting out the blank spaces on either side from my vision. I seldom use highlighters in textbooks and such, since I can usually easily find a particular sentence again - not photographic memory, but some sort of memory of where a word was on a line and approximately the page in relation to the rest of the book. Certainly if it was left or right hand side, and top or bottom. If I'm asked to find a specific word on a page all the other words almost fade into the background, while the relevant one is bolded in my mind. The words are read aloud in my mind in what seems like normal speed, but certainly isn't. I seldom skim texts unless I really have to (like on the bus on the way to class or the first few minutes of a lecture) but I read books as if I want to consume them - very fast, intensely until I reach the end.
    Last edited by Vortex; 01-25-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typos

MBTI
    INFJ

IXFJ here.

I read all words, but don't always start at the beginning of a book and read through. I'll choose the most relevant part, then read either forward or back. Sometimes I'll start with Chapter 6, then read 5, 4, 3, 2, then 1, other times I'll start with 6, then read 7, 8, 9, then 1, 2, 3.

I tend to notice misspellings, typos and poor grammar - someone in a long-ago post said they just jump out at him. And as Vortex said above, I tend to have a mental map of where information is on the page.

I'm a fast reader, but the way books are written influence the way they're read; currently I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera, which is filled with detail and description. Marquez wrote it to be savored and that's how I'm reading it. Other books, like Gods in Alabama, are read more quickly for the straight story line.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    That.
    Me too. I definitely do internal vocalization (for me it's kind of like having a song in my head), but not all the time, because I skim a lot, too. It depends on what I'm reading.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I generally do not skim but do not internally vocalize either. I used to be a skim reader but invariably I found myself missing important information, something that might have been more easily forgiven in lower educational levels, but that now tends to be frowned upon. Plus, skimming makes reading generally less pleasurable.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp