User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Cognitive therapy is the best thing I've tried so far. The therapist helps you to look at things more objectively and it helps re-frame your thought patterns, which in turn improves how you feel.

I've found that I physically have low energy and that if I accommodate that reality, I'm pretty happy and balanced. When I don't accommodate it -- by allowing myself to be dragged into a lot of activities outside my normal routine or beating myself up for not getting more done -- that's when I start the terrible downward spiral.

So I've learned to try to keep a low demand schedule and to just tell my brain to STFU when it starts in on me. It has been working reasonably well for the last several year, sans meds. I'm not against the idea of meds, but every one I've tried has just made me feel worse.

But I feel you. There was a while a few years back when my happy thought was stabbing myself in the chest. Couldn't pull a Cynthia Plath on my kids like that, though, you know?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I've tried meds and they just made me feel emptier on the inside. Talking to a therapist helped for a while, but towards the end I just felt like I was repeating myself and nothing was coming from it.
    I feel like this miserableness is never going to go away. My best friend says I bring this upon myself and I just need to think happy thoughts. But I can't. All I think about is how to end it, how relieving it will be to just...not feel this anymore. I know that people say the feeling passes, but it seems like this feeling isn't passing. I just feel as though everything is going wrong and the only way to correct it is to just...let go.

I know that isn't very rational thinking. I know that I'm talking like a crazy person. I just...want it to all stop, you know?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    I know that isn't very rational thinking. I know that I'm talking like a crazy person. I just...want it to all stop, you know?
    Yep. In fact at times like these I think a rational mind does more harm than good. Sometimes you need to be able to simply have faith that over time things will change for the better. It sounds NF'y but it's true.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    INTj

Let it be noted that this site is neither created for, or equipped to, deal with matters of extreme depression. This site is only able, on occasion, to help people understand others and themselves through discussion about type theory. For that reason, I advise you to seek medical assistance somewhere other than this typology site.

It's simply not geared to deal with the matters you are facing.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENTJ

Sometimes in life the solution is right in front of us, yet we fail to notice it.

Go to the doctor, tell him to prescribe you 10mg of Adderall XR. (You may have to fake that you have ADD). Then get into the stock market, start your own business, or take few extra college courses and fill your mind with useful knowledge.

Its only those that can find other innovative approaches, beyond those already tried, that will find the ultimate solution.

If you heed my post, I'll swear you'll PM me a huge thank you narrative.
    got chaos?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just a reminder:

Typology Central is not equipped with mental health care professionals qualified to give mental health advice.

If anyone here is contemplating suicide we urge you to contact professionals for help.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK
    1.800.SUICIDE - National Suicide Prevention Hotline
    SAVE | Suicide prevention information, suicide, depression awareness

When threads overtly refer to suicide we usually remove them. I would like to see this one remain since there have been no overt references to suicide and it has been mostly so positive and supportive. Just be aware that advice given on TypoC is not a substitute for tangible, real-life help. I wish everyone here the best.

Edit: I started writing this post and had to step away, and by the time I finished writing it Haight had posted just about the same thing. Redundancy FTW.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Just keep walking. Focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

If there are any normative judgments being made in your brain, stop them. Let the depression take you where it wants to. You want to go out for a run, go out for a run. You want to eat a pint of Haagen Daas, eat a pint of Haagen Daas. You want to talk to people, then talk to people. Do whatever you feel like doing - but don't give up. Don't think and don't think too far ahead. Just watch your feet. One foot in front of the other.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    Just keep walking. Focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

If there are any normative judgments being made in your brain, stop them. Let the depression take you where it wants to. You want to go out for a run, go out for a run. You want to eat a pint of Haagen Daas, eat a pint of Haagen Daas. You want to talk to people, then talk to people. Do whatever you feel like doing - but don't give up. Don't think and don't think too far ahead. Just watch your feet. One foot in front of the other.
    Good advice.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I just feel like it crept back up on me, this depression.
    That I'm a bother to everyone around me, constantly feeling guilty at every single thing I do.
    That every action I take is the wrong one, regarding life and the people in it. I irrationally feel as though everyone hates me, and that they would be happier in the long run if I was just not there to bring them down anymore.

It seems so stupid and silly. I feel like if I tell anyone in my life what is going on they are going to be disappointed or feel the need to pity me.
    Can you think of anything that may have triggered this? What's going on in your life atm?

As for people hating you, that isn't true. People are usually too self absorbed to give us that much thought to be honest.

I've only been extremely depressed a few times that I can think of and I'm just thankful I chose to live. If you can find a good therapist, that can help. Meds have helped me in the past. I had good results with Prozac. I remember we had moved to Charlotte for my husbands work and were renting an apt. Our house was for sale in another city but wasn't selling so we were paying rent and mortgage. I was miserable. Looking back there was no reason for me to feel the way I did, yet at the time I remember driving down the street thinking that if I were alone in the car, I'd like to drive into a wall and be at peace. I made it back to the apartment, got through that night and went to the doctor (walk in urgent care center) the following morning and was given prozac and xanax. So yeah, it does in fact get better.

Exercise and Omega 3 (fish oil) is what I rely on these days. I also stopped drinking coffee and I am a lot calmer (less agitated).
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Default Sympathy and Delusion

Our way here is to say how we feel and ask if anyone feels the same.

This is called sympathy, for sympathy means to feel the same as.

It reminds me of my visits to the Psyche Ward of Little Bay Hospital where I was surprised to discover that those suffering from schizophrenia were validating one another's delusions of thought. In other words we had schizophrenics sympathising with schizophrenics and confirming one another in their delusions of thought.

It also reminded me of the pro anorexic site where anorexics sympathise with one another's delusions. And encourage one another to diet.

And because this site is based on naive sympathy, we sympathise with the emotional delusions of those suffering from Clinical Depression.

This is validating the emotional delusion.

And such emotional delusions do prove fatal in a high number of cases.