User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default How do you get out of the Ti loop of doom?

I recently read that INTPs and ISTPs, who both use Ti, have the potential to get stuck in a sort of "loop of doom" in which they keep going in circles over some issue and can't find a logical solution, because they are relying 100% on the Ti function instead of bringing in other functions in their analysis of a situation. My question is, have any of you ever experienced this, and if so, how did you break out of it?

ReflecTcelfeR

Introduce ideas that can only be experienced. This is I believe the only way it can be escaped. Something has to interrupt the Ti/Si loop that you're speaking of, the only other way that I see escaping this thought loop is too actually find a conclusion, or answer that satisfies the question/event being analyzed.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yeah you have to engage an extroverted function. Introverted functions feed off of the current thought process, which includes their own output.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Yeah you have to engage an extroverted function. Introverted functions feed off of the current thought process, which includes their own output.
    That. Ne/Se is useful for breaking cognitive lock -- where your rationality leads you into a loop or a particular way of seeing things, and you can only break out by adding new information to the mix.

Ironically, I found F functions to be helpful because they offer other means of processing. Ti is impersonal, which is wonderful for removing personal bias; but if you are wrestling with a personal issue where the resolution is some sort of life contentment, T cannot do the trick. (Basic example: "What is the meaning of my life?" You can rationalize until you are blue in the face and come up with lots of wonderful reasons someone might want to live... but if those reasons do not resonate with you on a personal level, then they don't help.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Introduce ideas that can only be experienced. This is I believe the only way it can be escaped. Something has to interrupt the Ti/Si loop that you're speaking of, the only other way that I see escaping this thought loop is too actually find a conclusion, or answer that satisfies the question/event being analyzed.
    Could you give an example to illustrate that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That. Ne/Se is useful for breaking cognitive lock -- where your rationality leads you into a loop or a particular way of seeing things, and you can only break out by adding new information to the mix.

Ironically, I found F functions to be helpful because they offer other means of processing. Ti is impersonal, which is wonderful for removing personal bias; but if you are wrestling with a personal issue where the resolution is some sort of life contentment, T cannot do the trick. (Basic example: "What is the meaning of my life?" You can rationalize until you are blue in the face and come up with lots of wonderful reasons someone might want to live... but if those reasons do not resonate with you on a personal level, then they don't help.)
    I guessed that the F functions might be helpful. I suppose the exception to that might be if someone is depressed- they wouldn't be able to use how they are feeling at the time to override the Ti loop accurately. Also, obsessive thinking can be a hallmark of depression- perhaps getting in a Ti loop could actually cause depression due to the lack of new thoughts/experiences coming into the brain, which would impair one's ability to use F functions to break out of it. Alternatively, perhaps those who are already depressed may be more susceptible to getting stuck in a Ti loop.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Meditate so you stop thinking and approach the issue with your intuition instead of your mind. It's the only way I solve serious life questions. The answer is usually not something I could have anticipated. Usually.

If you don't know how to meditate, just relax and stop trying to solve anything. Take a few hours off.

MBTI
    XXFP

I can't say I understand this concept, but of what I do understand, I can't really remember experiencing anything like it.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    I guessed that the F functions might be helpful. I suppose the exception to that might be if someone is depressed- they wouldn't be able to use how they are feeling at the time to override the Ti loop accurately. Also, obsessive thinking can be a hallmark of depression- perhaps getting in a Ti loop could actually cause depression due to the lack of new thoughts/experiences coming into the brain, which would impair one's ability to use F functions to break out of it. Alternatively, perhaps those who are already depressed may be more susceptible to getting stuck in a Ti loop.
    It shouldn't be thought of as cause and effect. Ti can't 'cause' depression or vice versa. Ti might be a useful description of cognitive processes at play, but that's it. Or, you can think of it as the Ti loop and depression both describing the same underlying psychological state.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, I've experienced the Ti of loop of doom. What's worked for me is to keep busy, talk to someone, anything to 'distract' me from my own thoughts.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

ReflecTcelfeR

Hmmmm, this is more difficult than I first believed it would be. I suppose it would be like me (who lives in the U.S.) contemplating about what it's like going across the ocean to Europe and the Eastern countries. I can't really theorize, or analyze what it's like because the only way to understand what it's like is to actually go. I could look at pictures, but they don't always encapsulate what the experience is like. Only going over to that land and living it can I understand and know what it's like. Introducing a thought (i.e. going over to Europe) that can only be experienced. Does this help?